HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR Free Agents Next Summer

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2006, 11:33 PM
nyrmessier011

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph
I've never seen Orr Fight, is he that good? Tony Twist good?
lol tony twist

Old
01-12-2006, 01:27 AM
eco's bones

Nieminen and Ward I believe signed 2 year contracts. I'm not sure if Rullier and Purinton did the same.

Players I wouldn't bring back for sure--Cavanagh, Cullen, Fedorov, Giroux, Grenier, McIntyre, Purinton, Rucchin, Stals.

Players I'd consider not bringing back--Poti (who is likely to sign somewhere else), Orr, Hossa, Lampman, Roszival, Taffe, Wiseman, Rucinsky, Straka and Strudwick.

The NHL roster players such as Rucinsky and Straka might be upgraded with younger UFA's with more or less the same skillset. I also think we should try to get someone on our D who resembles a real No. 1 D--to take the place of Poti. If we don't resign Strudwick we need to make sure we add someone with snarl. Hossa should be dealt. Lampman seems injury prone.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:27 AM
GarretJoseph

hey! Twist was the man! lol

Old
01-12-2006, 03:38 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph
Who would you want to resign?

I def would want to bring Jason Ward back, Im sure he will ask for a lil bit more than hes getting now based on the hard work & season hes having. I would let Nieminen, Purinton, Rucchin, Rucinsky walk. I would honestly try my hardest to trade Poti before the deadline to try to get something & Jason Strudwick I would really consider giving him another 1 year deal. I would not offer new contracts to either Rozsival & Hossa & I would let all VI players leave. I believe Moore will have played more than 80 games in his short career by seasons end so he shouldnt be a group VI by seasons end unless Im wrong...

AS for Sykora, I havent seen enough of him yet to sign him or let him walk.

NY RANGERS
Jason Ward, (UFA)

Ville Nieminen, (III)
Tom Poti, (III)
Dale Purinton, (III)
Steve Rucchin, (III)
Martin Rucinsky, (III)
Martin Straka, (III)
Jason Strudwick, (III)

Dan Cavanaugh, (VI)
Brandon Cullen, (VI)
Fedor Fedorov, (VI)
Alexander Giroux, (VI)
Martin Grenier, (VI)
Steven MacIntyre, (VI)
Dominic Moore, (VI) (75)
Joe Rullier, (VI)
Craig Weller, (VI)
Chad Wiseman, (VI)

Blair Betts, (II)
Lee Falardeau, (II)
Dwight Helminen, (II)
Marcel Hossa, (II)
Bryce Lampman, (II)
Colton Orr, (II)
Jed Ortmayer, (II)
Michal Rozsival, (II)
Juris Stals, (II)
Jeff Taffe, (II)
Fedor Tyutin, (II)

I'm only going to deal with players currently on the NHL roster.

At this point, and it's very early, I'd go with:
Jason Ward, (UFA)
Martin Rucinsky, (III)
Martin Straka, (III)
Dominic Moore, (VI) (75)
Blair Betts, (II)
Jed Ortmayer (II)
Fedor Tyutin (II)

This presupposes that the Rangers are going to go out and make an acquisition or two from outside the organization. In particular I'm thinking about making an offer to either Redden or Chara (I can't really see Ottawa being able to keep both.) But if that were not possible I would imagine that we might see some sort of upgrade to Tom Poti and Michal Rozsival.

The key to deciding who to bring back is to make sure you keep enough talent to power the offense and enough leadership to retain the character of the team while also making space for the youngsters to move up. A lot also depends on the Sykora experiment. If Petr plays like he can then I'd be inclined to keep him over one of Straka and Rucinsky, as I'd like to see one of the top 6 forward spots open up. You also need to consider who's ready to make that step at the end of the year. If management thinks Dawes is ready to make the jump (and I have no opinion on whether this will be the case) then Rucinsky might be the one you let go. If it's Immomen then it might be Straka.
There's a similar problem with the bottom 6. There needs to be space for guys to move up from Hartford (I'm thinking Helminnen) but at the same time the checking/energy lines and penalty killers have played very well and you don't want to mess too much with a good thing. Dropping Ville Nieminen opens up a spot.

I'm torn because I think that giving younger guys a shot is of utmost importance, but I'd also like to see the success of this year carried into the next. Ideally the next few years will be transition years, as the vets are gradually let go a few at a time and the younger guys are phased in. We're in an interesting position right now because the bulk of the talent in the system has yet to reach the AHL level (and I don't think all the necessary talent has yet been drafted.) Also, a lot of the more promising talent at the AHL level probably won't be ready to step up into a major role next year. It's going to have to be a slow and gradual process. Too much turnover could hurt chemistry snuff out some of the success of this year. Too little will stifle the youth and hurt the rebuilding effort.

Last edited by xander: 01-12-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Old
01-12-2006, 11:31 PM
mschmidt64

I remain so thrilled that we traded York for Poti.

(Sorry, I like to *****)

Old
01-13-2006, 07:57 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
At this point, and it's very early, I'd go with:
Jason Ward, (UFA)
Martin Rucinsky, (III)
Martin Straka, (III)
Dominic Moore, (VI) (75)
Blair Betts, (II)
Jed Ortmayer (II)
Fedor Tyutin (II)
I would have the same group, with one exception. I would not resign Ruccinsky and resign Strudwick. Strudwick seems to fit the role of 13th forward/7th defenseman well. He seems to be a good team guy.
I do not think that Rucinsky will have a role on this team. Nylander and Jagr will be here. Prucha will be here. I can see Straka being resigned. If Sykora continues to play well, he will probably be resigned as well. There needs to be room for Immonen to be given every chance to center the 2nd line. That does not leave room for Rucinsky. I can see the top 2 lines, barring a Nylander trade, looking like this:
Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Immonen-Sykora

And with the bottom 2 lines starting to look like this:
-Betts-Ward
Hollweg-Moore-Ortmeyer

That leaves the 3rd line spot open. Yes, Rucinsky can fill it, but I would rather either give Dawes the opportunity to make the big team or sign someone with size, as well as skill. However, I can also see Hollweg moving up if Renney can get Orr to skate well enough to be a regular 4th liner. Don't ask me why, but I keep having the feeling that Renney seems to like Orr in that role, providing he can improve his skating.

Old
01-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Uh what. No, the only thing is I hate being intimidated. I'm saying there's no reason not to re-sign him every team has a designated fighter
Yes, because the Rangers have been so intimidated this year that it is causing us to lose games.

I have no problem with Orr, I'd love to see him develop into a real 4th liner, but playing him as a fighter only isn't going to keep anyone from intimidating us, in fact it will probably just lead to more powerplays for the other team.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Just to add to the list, guys. Rory Rawlyk's contract expires before training camp.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I would have the same group, with one exception. I would not resign Ruccinsky and resign Strudwick. Strudwick seems to fit the role of 13th forward/7th defenseman well. He seems to be a good team guy.
I do not think that Rucinsky will have a role on this team. Nylander and Jagr will be here. Prucha will be here. I can see Straka being resigned. If Sykora continues to play well, he will probably be resigned as well. There needs to be room for Immonen to be given every chance to center the 2nd line. That does not leave room for Rucinsky. I can see the top 2 lines, barring a Nylander trade, looking like this:
Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Immonen-Sykora

And with the bottom 2 lines starting to look like this:
-Betts-Ward
Hollweg-Moore-Ortmeyer

That leaves the 3rd line spot open. Yes, Rucinsky can fill it, but I would rather either give Dawes the opportunity to make the big team or sign someone with size, as well as skill. However, I can also see Hollweg moving up if Renney can get Orr to skate well enough to be a regular 4th liner. Don't ask me why, but I keep having the feeling that Renney seems to like Orr in that role, providing he can improve his skating.
I agree entirely, that list was disregarding Sykora (since it's too soon to evaluate him.) If you keep Sykora then I think you have to let on of either Straka or Rucinsky go.

Closed Thread