Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Hall Of Fame

Old
07-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

vCash: 50
Most excellent, hopefully just the beginning.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:19 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopar View Post
People still complain about the Moose banners, I'm sure they'll find something new to add to the complaints list to fill the gap.

This is good for nostalgia and timely with all the Heritage events this year. Curious to see how often they'll do inductees.
These kind of comments are just as annoying as these complaints I don't see anywhere, just saying.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:21 PM
cutchemist42

Anyone with WFP access read the story about acknowledging the past Jets?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...387001971.html

I dont subscribe to it, but the topic sounded interesting and I was wondering what it covered.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:24 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...387001971.html

I dont subscribe to it, but the topic sounded interesting and I was wondering what it covered.
You could try clearing your web browser's history and clicking the link again. Should get a free read ..

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Whileee

Basically a story that castigates Chipman for trying to ignore the Winnipeg Jets' history until he was forced to by Jets' fans. He basically says that Chipman was dragged kicking and screaming to the establishment of the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame.

As usual for today's journalists, the story draws inference from various circumstances without actually speaking to the central people in the story to get their perspective on the situation.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:30 PM
scopar
Oh Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Basically a story that castigates Chipman for trying to ignore the Winnipeg Jets' history until he was forced to by Jets' fans. He basically says that Chipman was dragged kicking and screaming to the establishment of the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame.

As usual for today's journalists, the story draws inference from various circumstances without actually speaking to the central people in the story to get their perspective on the situation.
Exactly. There's just nothing new, just rehashing that we have the Thrasher's franchise history, and that Chipman didn't want to name the team the Jets initially.

There's no interviews, just an op-ed with inferences from old information.

scopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:35 PM
truck

I liked it better when the Jets pretended Bobby Hull didn't exist. I have no interest in honoring horrible human beings.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I liked it better when the Jets pretended Bobby Hull didn't exist. I have no interest in honoring horrible human beings.
We should shut down the HHOF then.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:40 PM
MrBoJangelz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post

This

From all accounts, brass was never going to not acknowledge the past, but rather, they wanted to setup the new team, before they recognized the old team.

The article is silly IMO.

It would have made little sense in honoring the past, when we were consumed with the present and future of the team we had just inherited. It would have gone under the radar, received less attention and acknowledgement than it deserved, had they tried pioneering the past in with the future, all at the same time.

Chipman is doing it right.

Five years has been given for planting the new roots in this city, and with the heritage classic this season, our new finnish flash being front and center with the original finnish flash, and of course having the old Oilers in town, the timing is perfect.

MrBoJangelz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:44 PM
truck

I assumed some people were ignored on purpose. They honored Teemu appropriately.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:54 PM
bromine

Quote:
Impossible to ignore such an important part of our past. No Hull, very likely no NHL in this town. Say what you will about him - it's probably deserved - he put this city on the map when he signed here.

Honouring the trio makes sense. It makes it more about honouring our past in general versus having a day that's all about Bobby.

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

During the warm up for the Jets HoF game against Toronto the Jets could wear the old WHA unis like they did for Selanne in Anaheim.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 03:02 PM
bromine

I wish they did the ceremony at the home opener versus Carolina. Then the Canes could wear their Whalers jerseys!

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Jeff Bingham
Know it all

That article by paul weicek was needlessly antagonistic towards the TNSE group.

weicek asks: "Anyone else think any of that is a bit weird?"

What's weird is wiecek's angst about it.

Prior to purchasing the Thrashers, TNSE et al had zero history with the original Jets, including the Jets 1.0 and the Jets WHA. What do these folks owe to that legacy?

The simple fact TNSE listened to Winnipeg hockey fans, first about the team nickname, and now about the team legacy, should be applauded.

There is no need for this writer and this newspaper to stir this pot. It's cheap journalism and bad form.

Hands up if you're tired of reading paul wiecek.

Jeff Bingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Jeff Bingham
Know it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
During the warm up for the Jets HoF game against Toronto the Jets could wear the old WHA unis like they did for Selanne in Anaheim.

My all time favourite Jets jersey.

Old
07-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bingham View Post

Prior to purchasing the Thrashers, TNSE et al had zero history with the original Jets, including the Jets 1.0 and the Jets WHA. What do these folks owe to that legacy?

The simple fact TNSE listened to Winnipeg hockey fans, first about the team nickname, and now about the team legacy, should be applauded.

There is no need for this writer and this newspaper to stir this pot. It's cheap journalism and bad form.

Why wouldn't they start at the beginning?

And when they indoctrinate the Hot Line they should juat pretend Hulls wan't part of the greatest line in WHA history? That would be weird.

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 03:15 PM
bustamente

vCash: 58
The hotline brings back great memories for me, they set the bar high for future line combinations in Winnipeg. All eyes on Winnipeg that week and i'm sure we will put on a great show, plus many old favorites should be circling the city.

bustamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Whileee

Quote:

Old
07-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Jeff Bingham
Know it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Why wouldn't they start at the beginning?

And when they indoctrinate the Hot Line they should juat pretend Hulls wan't part of the greatest line in WHA history? That would be weird.
I genuinely don't understand how your comments relate to my post. ��

Old
07-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
I genuinely don't understand how your comments relate to my post. ��
I was commenting on Wiecek

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Conflicted Habs fan
Grind Grind Grind

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
They also have a website for the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame.

http://www.winnipegjetshof.com/
Fantastic news. It's about time Hull was recognized. He is arguably the Jet's best iconic player

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 06:56 PM
royalwoodJet

I'll be the outlier here and say that I liked Wiecek's column. I also think the point is valid that TNSE took 5 years to establish the new brand, as they should. But they didn't ever articulate well why they weren't recognizing the past, other than Selanne. As for Wiecek not having comments from TNSE, they are pretty well known as one of the least communicative front offices in the league, other than for when one particular lickspittle writer is calling.

royalwoodJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalwoodJet View Post
I'll be the outlier here and say that I liked Wiecek's column. I also think the point is valid that TNSE took 5 years to establish the new brand, as they should. But they didn't ever articulate well why they weren't recognizing the past, other than Selanne. As for Wiecek not having comments from TNSE, they are pretty well known as one of the least communicative front offices in the league, other than for when one particular lickspittle writer is calling.
The Jets front office communicates as much as I think is necessary. They don't talk about hockey operations plans, which is wise, even though it seems to annoy some fans. I think Chipman has been quite expressive about various aspects. I was a big fan of the Jets in the past, but happy to move on to a new era. I was even very much on board with a name other than the Jets. It's Winnipeg's NHL team, either way.

Old
07-15-2016, 08:14 PM
antiqueslivers

whether Chipman wanted the jets, had to be tragged by the fans in accepting the name... is sort of a moot point.

Chipman got winnipeg (us) a NHL team again.
Chipman named them The Winnipeg jets again.
Chipman is building a Jets HoF

Chipman did all this and I for one could care less if he didn't want to name it the jets initially. But he did. Totally thankful for this Mr. Chipman

antiqueslivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2016, 09:53 PM
raideralex99
Go Jets Go

vCash: 305
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about?
Bobby Hull never turned down a fan for an autograph and always had time for the fans. I remember when I worked at the arena he came to the room and thanked all the workers at the end of the season. He even opened the door for me once entering the arena.

raideralex99 is offline   Reply With Quote