HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Marek Svatos

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 08:24 AM
pei fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89
After watching th game tonight against Montreal, THIS KID IS FOR REAL. i see him as more of an offensive threat than Crosby and maybe Ovechkin. Very talented and smart with and without the puck. Im a leaf fan so im not being biased here when i say this Kid should be considered for the Calder.
First of all he is not a KID. He is 23. Secondly he is not nearly the player the other two are.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

He's got no shot at the Calder for a variety of reasons and it's doubtful he could overtake Phaneuf as a finalist, but he may be the 3rd forward on the all rookie team. That would be a huge honor given the freshman class this year.

fun player to watch isn't he?

Old
01-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Old
01-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro

fun player to watch isn't he?
YESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I was wondering when someone would mention that he's 23 compared to the 20 year old AO and 18 year old SC.

A single year makes a big difference at that age level, let along 3-5 years.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo
I was wondering when someone would mention that he's 23 compared to the 20 year old AO and 18 year old SC.

Svatos can't get any better anymore?

Old
01-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei fan
First of all he is not a KID. He is 23. Secondly he is not nearly the player the other two are.
Svatos is better goal scorer than Sidney Crosby. Sure, Crosby is better playmaker, but Svatos has also his stregtsh and he's working on his defense play.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
Svatos can't get any better anymore?

Where did I say or infer that in my post? Of course he can get better.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:47 AM
joepeps

Svatos is NOT, I REPEAT, NOT, more of a pure goal scorer than Ovechkin....

AO is a good passer, amazing scorer, good stick handling ability, good speed, hit's, husstles, does everything you can expect from a well rounded player...

AO is the best OVERALL young player in the league...

now don't get me wrong.. Svatos is good... but AO's goals are all self induced goals... Svatos mostly come from good plays or rebound...

Old
01-12-2006, 11:51 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
Svatos is better goal scorer than Sidney Crosby. Sure, Crosby is better playmaker, but Svatos has also his stregtsh and he's working on his defense play.
in 3 years crosby will be dwarfing Svatos in every scoring category.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:58 AM
chiavsfan

I knew it would only take a litle while for this to turn into a "Bash Svatos" and "My guy is better than your guy" thread. Why is everyone so quick to defend on this board instead of giving praise where praise is due.

The guy is a bad luck (injuries) story, turned good luck, who has finally remained healthy this season and is putting up good numbers.

Why can't people just say "yes he is a having a good season" instead of turning into a bunch of whiny 2-year-olds who have to one-up everyone?

Old
01-12-2006, 12:01 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan
I knew it would only take a litle while for this to turn into a "Bash Svatos" and "My guy is better than your guy" thread. Why is everyone so quick to defend on this board instead of giving praise where praise is due.

The guy is a bad luck (injuries) story, turned good luck, who has finally remained healthy this season and is putting up good numbers.

Why can't people just say "yes he is a having a good season" instead of turning into a bunch of whiny 2-year-olds who have to one-up everyone?

it started off as Svatos is a good scorer, then went to Svatos is the best young scorer then it went to, he's better then AO and Crosby...

so now.... you figure how did it get like this lol....

Old
01-12-2006, 12:02 PM
19nazzy

Quote:

Considering he's been battling shoulder injuries for 2 seasons prior it isn't a big difference.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan
Because people can't enjoy other teams good players?

Old
01-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
it started off as Svatos is a good scorer, then went to Svatos is the best young scorer then it went to, he's better then AO and Crosby...

so now.... you figure how did it get like this lol....
I said he's better goal scorer than Crosby. Not Ovechkin.

Crosby is more passer

Old
01-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Prodigal19

Quote:

not really... It is experience that matters and they all have the same amount of experience in the NHL.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
mazzinov

I think Svatos would have to do something really special for win the Calder. But he has a ton of potential, and could become a very special player for the Avalanche originzation. He was really flying in last nights game against the Canadiens. But I don't think he has much of a chance at the Calder.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:03 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:

It's not just about age though, Svatos has lost something like 3 years due to injury, so from a technical standpoint he has about as much playing years experience as Ovechkin.

I think what's most impressive is that he came back from a ton of injuries and is performing so well. That and he's just fun to watch, like a little kamikaze machine.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

With a cool name like that, how did this kid drop to the 7th round?

I saw him play a few times during his draft year and he was one of my favorite prospects that year. I knew the Avs had a steal when they took him in the 7th round. Had he not missed half that season due to injury, he would have went A LOT higher.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal19
not really... It is experience that matters and they all have the same amount of experience in the NHL.
Svatos has an extra years experience in the AHL (year and a half really) which isn't the NHL, but is experience no matter how you cut it.

IIRC, the NHL put a restriction on the age that a player can be to be eligible for the Calder after Sergei Makarov won it when he was 32 or something after leaving the Soviet Union and joining the Flames. He didn't have previous NHL experience, but any high level experience helps in development.

Obviously, Makarov's situation is different from Svatos, but the point is that experience at any high level helps.

Last edited by Injektilo: 01-12-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old
01-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal19
lol, what happened?

He got tossed in like the first or second period. If I remember correctly, he got held/pushed around a bit, and didn't like the call on him after he retaliated. He chucked his stick down the ice and got pretty upset. It's been a bit, but there was a thread on it last year when it occured.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
knight44

Actually guys Svatos is not playing with Tanguay right now, last night agianst MTL he was on a line with Richardson (rookie) and Lappierre, you can not tell me that line has great players on it, Svatos is the best player on that line. ever since Turgeon went down he has played with Lappy and someone, sometimes it was Tanguay but mostly they stick Richadson on that line. Hell even when Turgeon is healthy he is on a line with Turgeon and May, my question is how is that a great line? May basically sucks ***. Svatos is playing amazing for a player who plays on bad lines, yes he does get some PP time with Sakic. But Crosby does get to live with Lemieux, so he learns way more then Svatos from Sakic!

Old
01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
knight44

Actually guys Svatos is not playing with Tanguay right now, last night agianst MTL he was on a line with Richardson (rookie) and Lappierre, you can not tell me that line has great players on it, Svatos is the best player on that line. ever since Turgeon went down he has played with Lappy and someone, sometimes it was Tanguay but mostly they stick Richadson on that line. Hell even when Turgeon is healthy he is on a line with Turgeon and May, my question is how is that a great line? May basically sucks ***. Svatos is playing amazing for a player who plays on bad lines, yes he does get some PP time with Sakic. But Crosby does get to live with Lemieux, so he learns way more then Svatos from Sakic!

Old
01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight44
Actually I believe whoever said Svatty plays with Tanger was talking about the powerplay. I do remember when Turgeon was healthy the line-up looked like:

Brunette - Sakic - Hejduk
Laaksonen - Turgeon - Svatos
Tanguay - McLean - Laperierre

Right now I still think the Tanguay line is intact and the only difference is that Turgeon is replaced with Richardson. Of course I could be wrong, but I do remember McLean and Lappy out with Tanguay for the majority of the game, so unless they changed it near the end Lappy wasn't playing with Svatos.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:41 PM
knight44

well from what i know Svatos usually plays on a line with Turgeon and May, but now since they are injured he played with richardson and Lappy last night. I think Tanguay played with Maclean and Laaksonen, but i can be mixing Laaksoen and Lappy up!

Quinville also was uses Hinote on Tanguays line

Last edited by knight44: 01-12-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Closed Thread