Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlaggedoil View Post
.... Considering he's 3 years younger and has proven more already [but] why does one prospect have to be bashed because of a desire for another one to succeed? They are both jets prospects. I hope Armia reaches his full potential but realistically it's doubtful he catches, surpasses and remains ahead of Dano at this point in his career when Dano has 3 years of improving before they will even be truly comparable
Other than Dano being only about a year and a half younger, yeah.

Armia doesn't score in the AHL and he doesn't score in the NHL either. Yes, I know about his scoring with Rochester. It wasn't that impressive there either. He had better linemates and more TOI there. He still didn't approach ppg in his best season. AHL total, 68 pts in 126 games. He's good defensively. So is Dano.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 07-17-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: QEP
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 12:11 PM
mcpw
WPG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Has anyone ever seen Armia get angry on the ice? Get into a shoving match, do some yapping at other players over something he didn't like? He just seems so complacent when I watch him, no fire in his belly. It's like he has all the tools, but no burning desire to exploit them. Maybe Thorbs should slap him in the face a few times in the dressing room before each period to get him into a good, surly mind set.
Lets put it this way, after a loss you won’t see him in a frenzy, tears, and breaking sticks over goal posts.

(two internet points for everybody who gets the reference)

mcpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 12:19 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpw View Post
Lets put it this way, after a loss you won’t see him in a frenzy, tears, and breaking sticks over goal posts.

(two internet points for everybody who gets the reference)
Could it be this?

Maybe a bit over the top, but I have no problem with players that really, really hate to lose and show it.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post

Armia doesn't score in the AHL and he doesn't score in the NHL either. Yes, I know about his scoring with Rochester. It wasn't that impressive there either. He had better linemates and more TOI there. He still didn't approach ppg in his best season. AHL total, 68 pts in 126 games. He's good defensively. So is Dano.
Many good young prospects don't score that well in the AHL at a young age.

Dano had 4 goals and 23 points in 34 AHL games last year. 19 points in 39 games the previous year in the AHL. 48 points in 83 AHL games - not exactly tearing it up.

I think that we had a pretty good look at Armia last year for half an NHL season. There was lots to like. Dano showed well, too.

I have a sense that Armia had a bit of a lull in his development with the Sabres and is back on track. This season will be pivotal, starting with training camp.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 01:37 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Many good young prospects don't score that well in the AHL at a young age.

Dano had 4 goals and 23 points in 34 AHL games last year. 19 points in 39 games the previous year in the AHL. 48 points in 83 AHL games - not exactly tearing it up.

I think that we had a pretty good look at Armia last year for half an NHL season. There was lots to like. Dano showed well, too.

I have a sense that Armia had a bit of a lull in his development with the Sabres and is back on track. This season will be pivotal, starting with training camp.
Yes, I know. But you can't point to Armia's AHL record, or any part of it and say 'see, he is a great player and this proves it'. He looked very good for a while last year. Then he missed a few games injured. When he came back he was invisible again. I hope you are right. He certainly has shown the skill but so far has failed to assert himself in NA hockey.

Old
07-17-2016, 01:55 PM
jetsfaneh

Quote:
Yes, I know. But you can't point to Armia's AHL record, or any part of it and say 'see, he is a great player and this proves it'. He looked very good for a while last year. Then he missed a few games injured. When he came back he was invisible again. I hope you are right. He certainly has shown the skill but so far has failed to assert himself in NA hockey.
Agree with this. It would be very interesting to see what the lineup would be if it was an all out dog fight without waiver exemption and contacts dictating the lineup. Is Armia in that top 12? Does a guy like Lemieux out show him in camp?

jetsfaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 02:30 PM
Whileee

Quote:
I thought Armia was very good down the stretch. His few games with Petan and Copp were among the best he's had. That line was terrific.

I think the jury's still out on Armia, but I think his performance with the Jets last season was encouraging, and unexpected based on how he had performed in the AHL and in training camp.

Old
07-17-2016, 02:41 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
I thought Armia was very good down the stretch. His few games with Petan and Copp were among the best he's had. That line was terrific.

I think the jury's still out on Armia, but I think his performance with the Jets last season was encouraging, and unexpected based on how he had performed in the AHL and in training camp.
So how come you don't have them as your starting 4th line?

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I would like it a lot. I just don't see it happening.

Old
07-17-2016, 03:18 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Before Matthias was signed in had that line with Lowry replacing Copp

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 04:30 PM
jetsforever

What strikes me as somewhat odd is that after the first 40 or so votes, Dano had over 90% of the votes, but now he's less than 60%. I still think Dano will be slightly better though (maybe 2nd line vs 3rd line).

jetsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Yes. It was poor choice of words to say he became invisible. He did play well but his scoring dried up again.

I was very encouraged by Armia's play last year but disappointed in his scoring. Right now he looks to me to be a very good 4th line player. He might be on the 3rd line if Dano stumbles but looking at the wingers the Jets have it is hard to find a place for him above the 4th line otherwise. That said, I think he can hold onto a 4th line spot against some pretty stiff competition. Being able to play either side gives him a little edge on some.

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd: 07-17-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old
07-17-2016, 04:34 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
What strikes me as somewhat odd is that after the first 40 or so votes, Dano had over 90% of the votes, but now he's less than 60%. I still think Dano will be slightly better though (maybe 2nd line vs 3rd line).
I like both. I think Dano is ahead now. I don't see Dano as a second liner. This is where Holden and I disagree because I see Petan as a player having more middle six success than Dano. I can see Petan on a line say with Laine and Schief or Little and Wheeler, I think he could be special with those players moreso than Dano. We shall see in the next few years. Dano I see a very strong third liner on a very competitive team.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 04:54 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
Early birds prefer Dano

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 06:17 PM
ecolad

Maybe I`m totally off-base here. but I could not make a choice between Armia or Dano without knowing axactly what position they were auditioning for (who their linemates were, particularly at the center position).These are ultimately two differing types of players who bring differing things to the makeup of an effective line.

The choice would also consider whether either player had more to offer than the other in terms os special teams play (probably the PK for these players)

ecolad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Jetlaggedoil

Quote:
Whoops guess I had dobs wrong in my head!

Jetlaggedoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Early birds prefer Dano
Marko "The Worm" Dano

kinda skates like a worm might so it fits

Mathmew Purrrr Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 08:13 PM
ellismate

Kind of feel like the point discrepancy between the two may have had to do with the timing of when they joined the team. Armia got sentenced to play with Lowry and Thorburn, or someone of equal garbage quality for a good chunk of the season, and got to shine when our top 6 started to thin and he got promoted up the lineup. I kinda feel like Dano ONLY got to play during that time, and never had to fight through the trenches of our 4th line. Even Ehlers wasn't able to hold up the line he was on when he was playing on our 3rd. When Armia got to play with Ladd on the off wing, they right away seemed like an impact line. Same with when he played with Petan, and that brief time he got to spend (IIRC) in our top 6.

Our line systems are often a 5 man line. It's almost impossible for any one player to make an impact when they're out there with Copp, Peluso and our bottom pairing defence.

ellismate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 08:31 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathmew Purrrr Oh View Post
Marko "The Worm" Dano

kinda skates like a worm might so it fits
This has to rate as the most ludicrous analogy ever posted on the internet. Anywhere. Ever.

Old
07-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
This has to rate as the most ludicrous analogy ever posted on the internet. Anywhere. Ever.
well it really wasn't meant to be an analogy - more a doubling down on the original joke.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2016, 09:04 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathmew Purrrr Oh View Post
well it really wasn't meant to be an analogy - more a doubling down on the original joke.
I know, I'm just being an ******* tonight. The drinking is well on its way to its desired goal. Hic.

Old
07-17-2016, 09:29 PM
ellismate

Quote:

Yeah I agree. I know he had an interview with Sara Orlesky during that game where he scored 2 on Dallas, and it appeared like Armia barely spoke any English at all. I imagine it would be hard making a good first impression on a team when you can't communicate with most the team and the coaches. Learning the system seems like it would take more time when it can't be articulated to you.

Old
07-17-2016, 10:06 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellismate View Post
Yeah I agree. I know he had an interview with Sara Orlesky during that game where he scored 2 on Dallas, and it appeared like Armia barely spoke any English at all. I imagine it would be hard making a good first impression on a team when you can't communicate with most the team and the coaches. Learning the system seems like it would take more time when it can't be articulated to you.
I'm hoping for a positive bump in his play with the arrival of Laine. Last season I saw a very good skill set and a high hockey IQ. If he has consistent intensity I think he could be a bona fide top 9 forward on a good team. If either Dano or Armia turn into very good 3rd liners the Jets will have terrific depth. If both of them do, hurray.

Old
07-17-2016, 10:16 PM
ellismate

Quote:
I'm hoping for a positive bump in his play with the arrival of Laine. Last season I saw a very good skill set and a high hockey IQ. If he has consistent intensity I think he could be a bona fide top 9 forward on a good team. If either Dano or Armia turn into very good 3rd liners the Jets will have terrific depth. If both of them do, hurray.
Yeah the kid had some outstanding hands and strength on the puck. He also had quite a few really clean steals as well. The kid looked like he had loads of potential. Just needs to work on his shot a bit and a back hander. He had a few times he undressed a few defenders to get to the front of the net but had to switch back to his forehand. I get surprised by the low numbers he put up for the season every time I see them because there were times he looked like one of our best forward when he gets the right supporting cast.

Old
07-17-2016, 11:01 PM
Weezeric

My preference would be to get rid of Stanford and run them on the right side in the middle six. Give the better mins to whoever delivers. Doubt that will happen though

Weezeric is online now   Reply With Quote