They will be very similar 17 8.17%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-17-2017, 11:54 AM
gbill2004*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Dano is 20 months younger. Armia will be 24 in a couple months. Not very many players show significant improvement from that point, particularly offensively.

Armia is the nice looking player (skating, shooting) whose production never matches what it looks like it should. Dano is the bad looking player whose production is always higher than people think it should be. The second type always ends up more valuable, IMO.
I'd like to see Armia get time in the top 6. That's what he need to show his full potential.

gbill2004* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 02:08 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It has nothing to do with Dano's performance on the PK, actually.

Ironically the reason why Armia doesn't gain much value over Dano on PK is literally due to the large confidence intervals on PK performance, since PK performance measurements have fairly low year to year correlation.

So yes, the statisticians dealing with hockey statistics are well aware of the importance of significance testings... but I'm not going to slag on a discussion board about p values since that's not the appropriate audience here.
I'd be happy with confidence intervals... p values have their limitations, but it's better than just producing raw comparisons without any attention to which differences might very well be due to random error.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I'd agree with this.

Dano's a player who you actually have to watch on the ice (as opposed to just watching the play or following the puck) to see his strengths

He has very good awareness, is solid on his skates, and is very good at getting into seems and breaking his check in the ozone.

The issue being that unless his linemates are able to get him the puck in these situations, it goes completely unnoticed.

Armia on the other hand is a big guy that skates well, can really hang onto the puck, and does a "good job" in cycling (I use quotes because while he's good at keeping a board cycle going, I don't think it's always the most effective nor the proper decision)

Armia also has hands and is good with the puck in tight.

These are things that were going to see more often as it's less reliant on his teammates.

Dano on the other hand isn't a guy who holds onto the puck and cycles, if it's on his stick he's shooting, and that's not because that's all he knows how to do, but because when the picks on his stick he's almost always in a good position to shoot due to that ability to sneak into the softspots on the ice.
Good analysis. Dano is very quick-thinking and acting, and plays well with others who can play that style. His style isn't all that different than Ladd, though I think Dano acts a bit quicker but doesn't have the size or shot that Ladd had. Actually, I think a player like Petan is a good stylistic match for him. Lots of give and go type of activity, finding holes, etc. Actually, I think Copp can play that style quite well, too.

Armia is more effective managing and carrying the puck. He is better able to create on his own, more like Scheifele in that regard. It's not all that surprising that he's developed a bit more slowly because players with that skillset often take some time to figure out how to be effective at the NHL level.

I think you need a mix of these two types of players to have a balanced and effective team against various types of opponents.

Old
03-17-2017, 06:51 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I still like the idea of a Dano-Petan-Armia line.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I want to see that line so bad.

Armia Carry's and shakes a guy or two to get down low, dishes it off to petan at the half wall who finds the seem and hits dano backdoor

That is what will happen every shift. That's the world I want to live in.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Howard Chuck

Armia is an interesting player. I would still like to see him with Laine and schief. Just to give it a try.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:35 PM
gbill2004*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
Armia is an interesting player. I would still like to see him with Laine and schief. Just to give it a try.
I agree.

gbill2004* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
I agree that this is an interesting combo. Armia is strong on the boards and both Laine and Scheif are snipers and playmakers. If not those two, what about Little and Connor?
MP taken by Vegas...

Laine Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Little Armia
Connor Roslo Dano
Copp Lowry Matthias
pressbox...Tanev Petan subbing in and out for Matthias depending on need.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:39 PM
LimpDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Good analysis. Dano is very quick-thinking and acting, and plays well with others who can play that style. His style isn't all that different than Ladd, though I think Dano acts a bit quicker but doesn't have the size or shot that Ladd had. Actually, I think a player like Petan is a good stylistic match for him. Lots of give and go type of activity, finding holes, etc. Actually, I think Copp can play that style quite well, too.

Armia is more effective managing and carrying the puck. He is better able to create on his own, more like Scheifele in that regard. It's not all that surprising that he's developed a bit more slowly because players with that skillset often take some time to figure out how to be effective at the NHL level.

I think you need a mix of these two types of players to have a balanced and effective team against various types of opponents.
I agree 100%

Dano makes quick decisions but it seems that he needs to be paired with like minded players.

I'd like to see Connor come up and see the following lines

Perrault - Schieffele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Ehlers
Copp - Petan - Dano
Connor - Lowry - Armia

I also wouldn't mind resting some of the vets and give a few of the deserving players on the moose a few games as well...

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:27 PM
csk

Quote:
I'm more skeptical. I really hate Dano's game on LW, he's much more effective on the right.

I also worry that Armia might snuff out the offense of the other 2 (though we can't know until it's tried).

I'd rather run a bottom 6 like this:

Connor-Petan-Dano
Copp/Matthias-Lowry-Armia

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

vCash: 50
Is it just me, or does Dano have the added benefit of being a penalty drawing machine?

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

vCash: 50
I've gone back and forth on these players quite a bit, but I think Armia looks better to the eye mostly because of PoMos system which relies heavily on the dump/retrieval/cycle game. He's also one of our best forward pkers. Armia excels at both.

However, Dano plays a more efficient and subtle game. He's hard on pucks, has a nose for the net and is always in good position to score. More offensive skill than Armia. He's also the perfect rat in that he gets under the opponents skin and doesn't take penalties.

I like both, prefer Dano now and going forward.

Blue Shakehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:37 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
Is it just me, or does Dano have the added benefit of being a penalty drawing machine?
I've noticed this too

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
Penalty differential 2016/17

Armia +1
Dano -5

Dano has taken 5 more penalties than he's drawn this season.

Old
03-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpDave View Post
I agree 100%

Dano makes quick decisions but it seems that he needs to be paired with like minded players.

I'd like to see Connor come up and see the following lines

Perrault - Schieffele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Ehlers
Copp - Petan - Dano
Connor - Lowry - Armia

I also wouldn't mind resting some of the vets and give a few of the deserving players on the moose a few games as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
I'm more skeptical. I really hate Dano's game on LW, he's much more effective on the right.

I also worry that Armia might snuff out the offense of the other 2 (though we can't know until it's tried).

Connor-Petan-Dano
I'd like to see all of these 3rd lines. I don't think this will happen under Maurice though. He seems set in his 2 scoring lines, 3rd checking line, and spare parts/energy line on 4th line. So until we get a new coach thinking of a top 9 and a checking/energy 4th line I don't think we'll see that.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post

also worry that Armia might snuff out the offense of the other 2 (though we can't know until it's tried).

Connor-Petan-Dano
I worry about this too.

I worry about Armias tendancys to cycle over an available high scoring chance play. I would be very hesitant to put him with Laine and Scheifele.

I still want to see ehlers and Laine reunited for an extended period.

I think the chemistry of playstyles of petan and dano would be better helped by Armia then Laine and Scheifele. Laine and Scheifele need a creative player with then and I just don't think Armias got that.

Could be wrong though.

Old
03-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I worry about this too.

I worry about Armias tendancys to cycle over an available high scoring chance play. I would be very hesitant to put him with Laine and Scheifele.

I still want to see ehlers and Laine reunited for an extended period.

I think the chemistry of playstyles of petan and dano would be better helped by Armia then Laine and Scheifele. Laine and Scheifele need a creative player with then and I just don't think Armias got that.

Could be wrong though.
Could happen. I don't think this is the time.

I think putting Laine with Little may have been the right move at the time but it is time to re-unite ESL, IMO.

I really want to see Dano - Petan - Armia. Not just for Armia's sake. I think it could be good for all 3 and good or bad we would get a much better idea about what each is capable of than we can from the way they have been used to date.

This is a development year, so develop!

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:48 PM
10Ducky10

Give Armia 3 or 4 games with Little/Scheif and Ehlers or Scheif/Little and Laine. He has shown bursts of "wow, did he just do that" to being VERY good defensively to having some bonehead games. He needs to start putting the puck in the net so why not see how good he is with the best we have? What's to lose?

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 05:29 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Give Armia 3 or 4 games with Little/Scheif and Ehlers or Scheif/Little and Laine. He has shown bursts of "wow, did he just do that" to being VERY good defensively to having some bonehead games. He needs to start putting the puck in the net so why not see how good he is with the best we have? What's to lose?
At this point this season? Nothing. If your gonna do the experiment do it now.