HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tribute to Craig Rivet

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 09:06 AM
SHUDO

vCash: 500
Tribute to Craig Rivet

I remember last year when a lot of people on this board wanted to get rid of Rivet, and the boo birds were all over him. I didn't watch a big lot of hockey last year to see, what most called, his awful play, but it seems this year he's been very solid. His consistant defensive play, along with his ability to get involved offensively, has been almost impressive (Relative to the rest of Montreals defence, excluding Markov). Which of these options contribute to the changes:

- He has improved tremendously.
- The defensive squad has played horrible as of late making Rivet look really good.
- With the loss of brisbois, Rivet seized the opportunity to be a leader to our young definsive squad (Not the best defender, but brings a veteran presence to our young blue line)
- Typical Montral fans got bored with beating up on Rivet, so decided to move on to Theo, Ribero, etc....

In any sense, I really like Rivet. He seems really poised as a defender, and as a person (See his interview last night during the second intermission) and I hope he's with Montreal for years to come.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:15 AM
zx81

ROFL
Rivet may have scored the only goal in the loss against the Avs but he played horribly bad and he's back to his old 03-04 performances.

I still can't stand the guy and the fact he thinks he's a leader.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:19 AM
SHUDO

He was the only defenceman that held his own last night. Was poised, calm, patient. Even Markov was owned defensively a number of times last night.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

People don't forget 2003-04, when Rivet struggled, but I'm also always surprised how quickly they seem to forget 2001-02 and 2002-03 when Rivet really established himself as a rock on the D and a leader, and earned himself that fat contract that everybody subsequently complained about in '03-04.

Rivet hasn't improved, he's just playing the way he was in '01-02 and '02-03.

So the question shouldn't be "what's changed about Rivet now", it should be "what happened to Rivet in '03-04".

In '02-03, Rivet and Markov were far and away the most consistent and solid pairing on the team. We see that repeated this year, with nearly identical results.

But in '03-04, Rivet was swapped around more often, played a lot with Bouillon, sometimes played the left side, etc. Markov struggled, and Rivet struggled. But look again in the playoffs: once again Rivet and Markov were the most-frequent defense pairing, and they both rebounded nicely.

Rivet was already a leader and already had great chemistry with Markov, in past seasons, just as we see now. Time to look at '03-04 as the anomaly, not this year.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
SHUDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
People don't forget 2003-04, when Rivet struggled, but I'm also always surprised how quickly they seem to forget 2001-02 and 2002-03 when Rivet really established himself as a rock on the D and a leader, and earned himself that fat contract that everybody subsequently complained about in '03-04.

So the question shouldn't be "what's changed about Rivet now", it should be "what happened to Rivet in '03-04".

In '02-03, Rivet and Markov were far and away the most consistent and solid pairing on the team. We see that repeated this year, with nearly identical results.

But in '03-04, Rivet was swapped around more often, played a lot with Bouillon, sometimes played the left side, etc. Markov struggled, and Rivet struggled. But look again in the playoffs: once again Rivet and Markov were the most-frequent defense pairing, and they both rebounded nicely.

Rivet was already a leader and already had great chemistry with Markov, in past seasons, just as we see now. Time to look at '03-04 as the anomaly, not this year.
Good points, well said

Old
01-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Artyukhin*

rivet plays 29 mins blocks 6 shots and score our only goal and ppl are dumping on him?

first off rivet is not built to play 29 mins a game!! yet they continue to wear out our blueline as opposing to FIXING THE PROBLEM

come on now

mark streit should NOT be on the ice with 4 mins to go in a tie game!!!! PERIOD

both avs goals guess who ? mark streit on the blueline

GET A REAL @%#%#$ 6 guy that can play the body effectivly

brutal

hang in the rivet hopefully they will give you guys some help back there

rivet

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 01-12-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old
01-12-2006, 10:15 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
I've always been a fan of Rivet.

He should get more recognition

Old
01-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Rivet had been one of the few bright spots this year. Im more then satisfied with his play.

Well done Rivet!!

Old
01-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Jacques Plante

What's really impressed me about Rivet lately is his work on the PP. He's really done a good job as quarter-back.

He's one of the team leaders. During hockey day in Canada, Michael Ryder was interviewed and asked which players helped him out the most during his rookie year and he said, Langdon (fellow Newfoundlander)Koivu and Rivet.

I really hope Rivet isn't the possible defenceman mentioned in the Chicago Trade Rumours.

Old
01-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Plante
What's really impressed me about Rivet lately is his work on the PP. He's really done a good job as quarter-back.

He's one of the team leaders. During hockey day in Canada, Michael Ryder was interviewed and asked which players helped him out the most during his rookie year and he said, Langdon (fellow Newfoundlander)Koivu and Rivet.

I really hope Rivet isn't the possible defenceman mentioned in the Chicago Trade Rumours.

"You can't please all of the people, all of the time" but Rivet has done everything that has been asked of him in his 12 years on a team that has seen underachieving players come and go.
He took on the enforcer role when he was a rookie, standing up for his older and bigger teammates. He wore the "C" in Fredricton as a young guy then earned the respect of his teammates, as a leader and mentor on the team.
The guy has handled everything the media and fans have handed him with class. Bob Gainey isn't stupid. He recognizes Rivet's strong character but has his hands tied. Unfortunately, if Bob doesn't see us in the playoffs Rivet value to a contending team will give him no choice. !

Old
01-12-2006, 09:37 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81
ROFL
Rivet may have scored the only goal in the loss against the Avs but he played horribly bad and he's back to his old 03-04 performances.

I still can't stand the guy and the fact he thinks he's a leader.
Way to back that post up. It's obvious you're jaded. Rivet doesn't think he's a leader. He just leads, and became one during the injury plagued seasons of the late 90s.

He isn't flashy, but he gets the job done. He's gritty, strong, fearless, wears his heart on his sleeve, and will go to the wall for his teammates.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien

I cant say it any better myself. I agree on all points

Personally, I really think the booing was effecting him in the past. I get the sense that he's playing with a giant gorilla off his back sine he hasn't been booed this year. At least on a regular basis.

He's one of my favorite current habs.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
tritone

Rivet is a pillar. Hard work , decent defenseman , great attitude

Unfortunately some fans seem to love ripping on him and praising the Ribeiro's of the world. But what do I know

Old
01-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
go craig! hes a big reason if saku returns

Old
01-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Zednik
go craig! hes a big reason if saku returns
Team Canada (World Championship, 2002 or 2003?)

He and Koivu are the leaders on the Habs. I want both to stay.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:07 PM
LastChancePrice

Rivet for potential trade bait???

hmmmm

Closed Thread