HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What type of player do you want Gainey to acquire?

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Stiffler

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
What type of player do you want Gainey to acquire?

OK, now that we have Canadiens rumors everywhere, I am curious to know not what players specifically but what type of player you would like to see the Canadiens acquire in a trade and what kind of weakness you would like them to address.

For my part, I think we are really and mostly lacking a #1 defenseman. We have plenty of depth, but only that, depth. If we could get our hands on a Pronger-type of player, like Edmonton did, our defensive play would be much better. I also think Ribeiro is not cutting it on our second line and I would like to see him replaced by a better all around player. Like so many people, I would like to see a true power forward join the club and create space for Kovalev and cie. Finally, I have been a Theodore supporter for a while but he's obviously not consistent enough and is not getting younger, so if the habs could either acquire a young stud a-la Fleury or give a true chance to Danis, I would be happy.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:13 AM
SHUDO

one that can score goals, body check, play defensively, be a leader, fight for the puck, don't take stupid penelaties, kill penalties, play on the powerplay, set up scoring chances, coach, ...............cook, clean, etc.................Sounds like this would make for a good wife as well...

Old
01-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Taylorzzz

WE NEED D! And give the rest of the guys some caffine pills! For gods sake, I think they were all sleeping last night in the first.
Thank God Huet was awake!

Sit Theodore until Huet and Danis need a break!

Old
01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
bugs44

anyone who's big and young that can play 2 way hockey and signs a contract year to year .enough of this crap of signing guys for 2 or more years and then you can't get rid of them if they under achieve like theodore,bonk,koivu,kovalev and dandenault.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:27 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler
OK, now that we have Canadiens rumors everywhere, I am curious to know not what players specifically but what type of player you would like to see the Canadiens acquire in a trade and what kind of weakness you would like them to address.

For my part, I think we are really and mostly lacking a #1 defenseman. We have plenty of depth, but only that, depth. If we could get our hands on a Pronger-type of player, like Edmonton did, our defensive play would be much better. I also think Ribeiro is not cutting it on our second line and I would like to see him replaced by a better all around player. Like so many people, I would like to see a true power forward join the club and create space for Kovalev and cie. Finally, I have been a Theodore supporter for a while but he's obviously not consistent enough and is not getting younger, so if the habs could either acquire a young stud a-la Fleury or give a true chance to Danis, I would be happy.
Svatos, Bell, Aucoin, Semin. The Habs need talent. Not 4th liners like Higgins but real talent. Svatos put on a clinic last evening.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler

We need a number one everything. Only Theo and Kovy and maybe Markov have top flight talent and the 1st 2 are wildy inconsistent. We need STARS

Old
01-12-2006, 09:30 AM
bugs44

someone who's awake during the game at least.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Big right handed skilled center !

Old
01-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

On paper, our team most needs a #1 dman, followed by some grit and leadership up front (the more talented the better, but even grinders for the lower lines would help). We need heart and character everywhere in the lineup. Guys who will bang bodies and go to the net and give 100% every shift.

I don't think now is going to be the time to get a #1 dman, even if it seems to be our biggest need. That's going to be best done in the summer via free agency, when the best players will be available. And in order to position ourselves for that, we will have to maintain salary-cap sanity now, which means no band-aid pseudo-#1's on big contracts. Gonchar, Aucoin, those kind of guys aren't the real studs and they'd suck up so much salary we'd have nothing left for the summer. We need to resist the temptation on that front. If we get a defensive bandaid, it needs to be somebody cheap or on a short-term deal.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Coco Fever

Players that go to 'war' everynight...
I don't mean to sound "racist", but Canadian guys (French or English I DONT' CARE) who takes pride in wearing the CH. Not that Euros don't, but Canadian boys tend to be gritter.

Players that have a reputation of being 'tough to play against'...I want the other teams to look at our line up and say "Oh no...it could be a long night..." (for them of course!!!).

Old
01-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Marksman

Brisebois needs to be replaced, finally. Theres our biggest need.

In perfect world I'd love to have Pronger or other big name number one dman, but that has not been reality after purse strings were loosened for Theodore and Kovalev. But even another dman like Markov, someone capable support our forward corps offensively - without being helpless defensively, would be tremendous help.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Highlander

What's needed (IMHO):

- 2nd line center
- 1-2 D Man who can long big minutes and generate offense while being defensively responsible
- Power Forward (last of the three)

Chance of us getting any of these without massively overpaying or giving up very good prospects that we can't afford to loose:

near zero

Not being negative, just realistic....

Old
01-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
we need some western canadian toughness

Old
01-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Stone Cutter

- A no.1 Dman
- Either a powerforward or a Big talented Center

Old
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Jyroe Habs Fan

All of the above.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:14 AM
HABit

Bertuzzi. He will make the most difference offensively with his size. I can see him on a line with Ribeiro and Zednik. As much as I can't stand either of them lately Bertuzzi could open them up.

We need a defenseman as well but I would be happier to see a guy like Bertizzi before we see a defenseman. We have just as many problems offensively as of late.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:40 AM
goalchenyuk

Bell
Bertuzzi
Chara ( free agent this summer )

a first line center bigger ( and not injury prone );

Bertuzzi , ------------, Kovalev ( Sundin ? )
Kostsytsin- Perezhogin ,Koivu , Bell
Perez-Kost , Bonk , Higgins
Fernand, Begin , Murray

Lapierre ,

Markov ,Chara
Rivet or Aucoin , Souray or Aucoin
Bouillon , Komisarek , Dandeneault

Lost in trades ; Ribeiro ,Rivet or Souray, Zednik ,Ryder , Plekanek , Theodore ...

a Big Team !

Old
01-12-2006, 11:59 AM
tinyzombies

I just pray we don't get Aucoin. That guy is so overrated. He coughs the puck up more than Rivet and is soft. Another fricken Brisebois. He might improve our PP, but we'd be softer on D.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

we need guys who give 100% every night

Old
01-12-2006, 12:09 PM
HABitual

maybe they need CJ to rip into the team like Michel Therrien did with the Pittsburgh Penguins

Old
01-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I just pray we don't get Aucoin. That guy is so overrated. He coughs the puck up more than Rivet and is soft. Another fricken Brisebois. He might improve our PP, but we'd be softer on D.
??? hein?

The guys has 41 hits in 31 games...that would put him 4th on the Habs for Hits per game. That also put him roughly in the top 60/70 of the league. I think that we can say he's not soft... may not alway play tough, but he not soft...

Old
01-12-2006, 12:33 PM
BOB the Builder

All I want is players that make us win..

small, big, hung like horses, fat, cocky, french, anglo, white, black, yellow, green doesn't matter..

I want to win

Old
01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB the Builder
All I want is players that make us win..

small, big, hung like horses, fat, cocky, french, anglo, white, black, yellow, green doesn't matter..

I want to win
I'd be a little worried if we had some green players on the team. I don't want to sound racist, but come on!

Old
01-12-2006, 12:55 PM

Some defensman i'd like the Habs to inquire about...

Eric Brewer - Not sure what his availability is though

Adrian Aucoin - Playing on a bad team, doesn't mean he's completely forgotten how to play defensman, he can log a ton of minutes and would make a great pairing with Markov our Souray IMO...

Colin White - Devils might look to get younger on defense...

Old
01-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Some defensman i'd like the Habs to inquire about...

Eric Brewer - Not sure what his availability is though

Adrian Aucoin - Playing on a bad team, doesn't mean he's completely forgotten how to play defensman, he can log a ton of minutes and would make a great pairing with Markov our Souray IMO...

Colin White - Devils might look to get younger on defense...
I would add to that list:

- Jordan Leopol

- Zidlicky

They may not be available though

Closed Thread