HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #3

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 08:35 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #3

Wow........

What a hockey game from our boys tonight.

I'm not even gonna make player reports, because that was a team that wanted to win out there tonight, every single one of em.

Tommy was great, he should've had the SO, but more on that later....

MacT actually outcoached someone. He actually mixed lines to suit the game well. He actually convinced this team they could win tonight. I'm amazed...might have to dog the guy more often if this is the performance that comes afterwards.

We dominated, it was amazing. Without the PP, the Avs don't score, and those PPs they scored on were an absolute JOKE, and with reference to that.....

The refereeing tonight was HORRID, PERIOD.

Peter Forsberg: Get out of my country, get out of my league, get out of hockey. YOU ARE A COMPLETE DISGRACE TO THIS GAME.

Props to the fans tonight, it was electric in there.

Maybe I'll go a little more in-depth tomorrow, if I can come up with something. Just don't think tonight's team game should be watered down into individual player reports.

That SH goal in the third.....that's guts.....that's heart.....that kind of thing is what wins teams the big trophy after their last game of the season.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Whitenoise

I agree with you totally on Forsberg. He took full advantage of the horrid refereeing with some horrible dives. Is the NHL still doing that thing where they look back through the video and fine divers? Forsberg should be out a little bling after tonight's officiating debacle.

Salo had a strong game. He looked solid and wasn't giving up rebounds. The second goal may have been questionable, but on the replay it looked like the puck magically went through about five guys laying on the ice. He was on the angle and in the butterfly but the puck just missed him. I wish we had a shot like Blake's on our PP!

What a perfect night for the special teams to show up. Right from the first PP, you could tell they had it. They were actually able to set up for once, and once they set up they were moving and creating chances, instead of the usual stand still, pass back and forth, and then shoot it into someone's shins.

I wish Laraque and Isbister would've seen more ice time. It looked they had something going early in the first with a couple of good shifts.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:16 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Peter Forsberg: Get out of my country, get out of my league, get out of hockey. YOU ARE A COMPLETE DISGRACE TO THIS GAME.
HERE, HERE!! I SECOND THAT! AND THIRD, FOURTH, FIFTH, AND SIXTH IT!!!!! I seriously hate him (i guess the topic hasn"t come up for me to bash him..... but this guy is a serious pathetic loser).

Old
10-18-2003, 09:25 PM
momentai

I'll put a few of my thoughts here as I don't want to clutter up the board.

Salo - Amazing night. He held us in there when the Avs were making a run. Some very fine saves tonight and rebounds, for the most part, were kept on his glove or on the body. Salo still can't really handle the puck though.

Staios - absolute horse out there tonight. He did everything possible out there on the pk, pp, and even strength. He chipped in with 2 goals, numerous blocked shots and was a rock in our own end most of the night.

Smyth - It's amazing how he's improved on his passing. It was only last year he was the benefactor of a beautiful Marchant saucer pass to score the winner in OT. Tonight he fed one to Reasoner.

As much as I tend to slag Cross, he was extremely solid tonight. He didn't make any of the glaring errors I saw previously in the past few games. (That barring of course the failed backhand clearing attempt on the pk... though he did slap it down the ice seconds later). But even with his goal tonight on the powerplay, I still don't believe he belongs there.

Something concerns me though.

Eric Brewer 25:09
Cory Cross 25:36
Steve Staios 27:50
Jason Smith 19:17
Scott Ferguson 11:09
Alexei Semenov 11:10

MacT played the heck out of those first 3 dmen. I don't mind Brewer getting in the 25 minute range for the rest of the season. He's young and expected to play those kinds of minutes as our #1 dman. But 25 and 27 for Cross and Staios is easily going to wear out those two and QUICKLY during the season.

EDIT: I know there were a lot of pk and pp situations in this game. But I hope MacT addresses this in the next game and plays the 3rd pairing a bit more.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:39 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
HERE, HERE!! I SECOND THAT! AND THIRD, FOURTH, FIFTH, AND SIXTH IT!!!!! I seriously hate him (i guess the topic hasn"t come up for me to bash him..... but this guy is a serious pathetic loser).
Two dives and the Oilers get penalized. Then he gets high sticked and no penalty. Makes you wonder what the refs were watching.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:41 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I'll put a few of my thoughts here as I don't want to clutter up the board.

Salo - Amazing night. He held us in there when the Avs were making a run. Some very fine saves tonight and rebounds, for the most part, were kept on his glove or on the body. Salo still can't really handle the puck though.

Staios - absolute horse out there tonight. He did everything possible out there on the pk, pp, and even strength. He chipped in with 2 goals, numerous blocked shots and was a rock in our own end most of the night.

Smyth - It's amazing how he's improved on his passing. It was only last year he was the benefactor of a beautiful Marchant saucer pass to score the winner in OT. Tonight he fed one to Reasoner.

As much as I tend to slag Cross, he was extremely solid tonight. He didn't make any of the glaring errors I saw previously in the past few games. (That barring of course the failed backhand clearing attempt on the pk... though he did slap it down the ice seconds later). But even with his goal tonight on the powerplay, I still don't believe he belongs there.

Something concerns me though.

Eric Brewer 25:09
Cory Cross 25:36
Steve Staios 27:50
Jason Smith 19:17
Scott Ferguson 11:09
Alexei Semenov 11:10

MacT played the heck out of those first 3 dmen. I don't mind Brewer getting in the 25 minute range for the rest of the season. He's young and expected to play those kinds of minutes as our #1 dman. But 25 and 27 for Cross and Staios is easily going to wear out those two and QUICKLY during the season.

EDIT: I know there were a lot of pk and pp situations in this game. But I hope MacT addresses this in the next game and plays the 3rd pairing a bit more.
We see eye to eye on ever thing you talked about above!

Old
10-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Yanner39

Referees were terrible. Way too many penalties. Just after Millen mentions how the Refs are going to let them play, a flurry of penalties are called. The Chimera penalty was an absolute joke.

On the positive side, I haven't seen the Oilers this aggressive killing penalties in a long time. I mean they usually get alot of SH goals, but now they charge the points get back in position quickly. It's great. As for the PP, it had its moments.

The Oilers a good job 5-5 as well.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Ok, here is my input...the oilers were AWESOME...i cannot recall them all playing this good...they played against 3 teams tonight...The Avalanche, the Colorado State Aquatics team (credit to LMHF#! for coming up with that one)and of course the Zebras. The Oilers came through in a very clutch game backed by Salo's 30 save performance and lit the lamp...I swear everyones jaw dropped (some like myself almost started crying) when Hemsky hobbled over to the bench after blocking that shot....that could have been bad...This team has alot of potential and WITH Comrie will be very very very good

Old
10-18-2003, 10:40 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

HEY! You stole my Aquatics team line man!

Old
10-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
Two dives and the Oilers get penalized. Then he gets high sticked and no penalty. Makes you wonder what the refs were watching.
looks like forsberg was skating into that stick if you ask me

Old
10-19-2003, 09:23 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
the Colorado State Aquatics team (credit to LMHF#! for coming up with that one)
Happy LMHF#1?

Old
10-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Ok, here is my input...the oilers were AWESOME...i cannot recall them all playing this good...they played against 3 teams tonight...The Avalanche, the Colorado State Aquatics team (credit to LMHF#! for coming up with that one)and of course the Zebras. The Oilers came through in a very clutch game backed by Salo's 30 save performance and lit the lamp...I swear everyones jaw dropped (some like myself almost started crying) when Hemsky hobbled over to the bench after blocking that shot....that could have been bad...This team has alot of potential and WITH Comrie will be very very very good

That's funny!

What I wanted to add is that Tommy should start doing TV commecials. You know the ones aimed at the fairer sex.

Talk about super absorbant pads.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:34 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Happy LMHF#1?
Very.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:52 AM
barto

My second game of the season (other was the home opener) and the Oilers' second 5+ goal game! And yes, the atmosphere was fantastic - we probably have the refs to thank for that. Really - after the first SH goal I said to my wife that it was sticking it up the refs' butts for a poor call. Then the Avs kept getting PP chances while the Oilers valiantly were trying to stay in the game, and then the 5-on-3 is killed off, Smyth comes back on and Reasoner (who must've been dog-tired) puts a great pass between Sauve's legs...I was cheering as loudly for the goal as for saying to the refs, "HA! As hard as you try, we'll battle through it and triumph in *spite* of the poor officiating!"

Actually, that showed tremendous character by the Oilers, to score, get scored on by the 'mighty Avs' but not give up... A rare sight, I'd say, but a welcome one.

So the Oilers can get up for a 'big' opponent - let's see how they do against the Blues. I mean, if they can bottle that intensity and tough play by *everyone*, they're going to be amazing. Obviously they won't be play like that every game, but they looked like contenders last night, rather than pretenders.

BIG hats off to Salo who made some great saves to keep it down to 3 goals against (all on the PP).

I thought Reasoner struggled a bit earlier on, esp. on faceoffs, but also made some strong plays and did win some critical draws as well.

Awesome stuff - although not enough to keep the 6-yr-old in front of us awake for the whole thing.

Bart

Old
10-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Easilee 27

I have to give props to Scott Ferguson for being absolutley solid again. You just never notice him, which is great for a D-Man against a team with that much talent. Semenov was also solid for his first game. Maybe off topic, but I never miss an opportunity to give Fergie credit.

Closed Thread