Make two more realistic trades..

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Make two more realistic trades..

.. that would make you feel comfortable come playoff time (if we make them ofcourse, nothing is impossible).

I know Army is sitting comfortable right now and chances are slim he'll make another move. But I think we still need two minor assets before I'm oppertunistic about our chances at a possible Cup run. By realistic acquisitions I mean that it has to fit into our budget, and no big name players can be mentioned, unless they come cheap ofcourse.

I'll come up with 4 myself..

For forwards:

==========================================
To the Atlanta Thrashers
Shawn Belle and a 4th round pick

To the Dallas Stars
Peter Bondra

Or...

To the Atlanta Thrashers
Mattias Tjärnqvist and a 4th round pick

To the Dallas Stars
Scott Mellanby

For defensemen:

To the Dallas Stars
Martin Skoula, Brandon Crombeen and a 3rd round draft pick

To the Dallas Stars
Brendan Witt.

Or..

To the Boston Bruins

To the Dallas Stars
Brian Leetch

Reasoning forwards:

With Guerin in a likely season long slump, Arnott being highly inconsistent and a rookie as one of the top go to guys, we need some security scoring in the postseason. Bondra would provide just that. Mellanby would be a second option. He isn't as offensively skilled, but he's a warrior who knows how to win. He could play on any line and would add much more than just grit.

Reasoning defensemen:

As I said before, we now have 3 simular defensemen fighting for the last two rosterspots. I know Robidas may be experiented at forward, but that would still leave a relatively soft, inexperienced and one-sided defensive duo as our 3rd pairing. Pretty much the exact opposite of how I'd like my 3rd pairing to look like. Here's Witt coming in the picture. He's very limited, but he's big, physical and mean, 3 assists I feel our defense is lacking and we fill it up with just one player. The Stars have been interested in him for a while, just as they have with Brian Leetch. Leetch might not be as physical nor as reliable defensively, he's much like Zubov in that he's smart, experienced and consistent. They even played with eachother before. Leetch would instantly help our PP..

Possible lines:

Peter Bondra - Mike Modano - Jere Lehtinen
Brenden Morrow - Jason Arnott - Bill Guerin
Jussi Jokinen - Niko Kapanen - Stu Barnes
Antti Miettinen - Steve Ott - Niklas Hagman

Sergei Zubov - Philippe Boucher
Janne Niinimaa - Brian Leetch
Jon Klemm - Daley/Robidas

Old
01-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
To the Atlanta Thrashers
Shawn Belle and a 4th round pick

To the Dallas Stars
Peter Bondra
I wouldnt mind that one. Gives us someone to replace Guerin's suddenly missing scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
To the Dallas Stars

To the Dallas Stars
Brendan Witt.
And I wouldn't mind that. Witt is the kind of defenseman this team needs now.

I'll throw one out myself, although not as likely to happen as yours. Jason Arnott and a prospect(someone like Lessard, Wandell, Neal, Fransson, etc.) and a pick in next years draft(2nd/3rd rounder) for Olli Jokinen. I think Jokinen would be a perfect fit as the #2 center behind Modano, and is young enough to take over as the #1 guy once Modano hangs them up. Then go with lines like this:

Morrow-Modano-Lehtinen
Jokinen-Jokinen-Bondra
Hagman-Kapanen-Miettinen
Barnes-Ott-Guerin

Zubov-Boucher
Niinimaa-Klemm
Witt-Daley/Robidas

Hell, at this point, I'd even consider buying out Guerin right now and saving some money on the cap this year(since I'm not sure $1.2 million is enough to make these deals happen).

-Vagrant
Old
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

I would absolutely do the trade for Bondra.

I'd also trade any similar package for Sergei Samsonov or several other great wingers who'd be pending UFA's on a non-playoff team.

The defenseman trades really don't interest me, as I think we're done there and our defense is pretty solid (and Armstrong has implicated as much).

I don't overly like Olli Jokinen, and I doubt that in a second line role he'd produce much more than Arnott. However, the deal looks adequate on paper. Jokinen's best season is 65 points with *waaay* more ice time than he'd get on the Stars. He'd probably top out at around 50-55 points here... which is rather Arnott-like.
Right now? I wouldn't trade Arnott for Jokinen. It's too high risk. I'm not convinced you couldn't make the team worse. In the offseason maybe, because you have more time to adjust, change the lineup, and play around with the team chemistry. Arnott has zero trade value, of course. Maybe Jokinen doesn't either though. Haven't checked his free agent pending status.

Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet: 01-12-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old
01-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
I don't overly like Olli Jokinen, and I doubt that in a second line role he'd produce much more than Arnott. However, the deal looks adequate on paper. Jokinen's best season is 65 points with *waaay* more ice time than he'd get on the Stars. He'd probably top out at around 50-55 points here... which is rather Arnott-like.
Jokinen has 46 points while playing about 19 and a half minutes a night. He also has 19 more points than anyone else in Florida. He also just turned 27 in December. Arnott has 35 points while playing about 17 and a half minutes a night. He turned 31 in October. Jokinen simply is a better player.
Quote:
Right now? I wouldn't trade Arnott for Jokinen. It's too high risk. I'm not convinced you couldn't make the team worse. In the offseason maybe, because you have more time to adjust, change the lineup, and play around with the team chemistry. Arnott has zero trade value, of course. Maybe Jokinen doesn't either though. Haven't checked his free agent pending status.
Both Arnott and Jokinen are UFA's after the season. I just think it would be worth the risk to get the better player.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:11 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Jokinen has 46 points while playing about 19 and a half minutes a night. He also has 19 more points than anyone else in Florida. He also just turned 27 in December. Arnott has 35 points while playing about 17 and a half minutes a night. He turned 31 in October. Jokinen simply is a better player.
I'm not convinced. Jokinen's current clip is way above his average. He's never been a point/game guy. Should I use only a half season as my primary guideline? He plays 2 more minutes a night and is the "go to" guy in Florida. I think he's a 55 point player on the Stars.

I agree, though, he'd be a good UFA pickup. As a swap for a first place team? Too high risk.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Chaos

Quote:
I'm not convinced. Jokinen's current clip is way above his average. He's never been a point/game guy. Should I use only a half season as my primary guideline? He plays 2 more minutes a night and is the "go to" guy in Florida. I think he's a 55 point player on the Stars.
You are correct that he is producing at a higher clip than anytime in the past. But I attribute that to him just now entering his prime. But we can agree to disagree.

Quote:
I agree, though, he'd be a good UFA pickup. As a swap for a first place team? Too high risk.
See, I think it would be more of a risk to wait until UFA to try and sign him. I'd much rather deal an older, inconsistant Arnott for him right now and give us the chance to sign him before he hits UFA.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:27 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
You are correct that he is producing at a higher clip than anytime in the past. But I attribute that to him just now entering his prime. But we can agree to disagree.
I'm not disagreeing with that. Jokinen may well be better. I think this is very possibly the case. It just seems like a risk to me. We don't really *know* for sure he's much better or that bringing him in will not disrupt the team right now. That's why I'm wary.

A few years back similar arguments were being leveled as a reason to trade for Jason Arnott. It was a more reasonable decision then, though, because we were 10th place in the Western Conference.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Starsdude

With all respect to the finns which I love I think too many more creates clubhouse issues

Old
01-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Rotang

Apparently Chicago is having a firesale with players such as Calder, Spacek, Brown, Vandermeer and Cullimore being available

I'd be very interested in Calder, the guys a workhorse and would look great on a line with Modano and Lehtinen. Spacek also intrigues me, he's very underrated, but is rather expensive at over $2 million. Still, he'd be a major improvement over Skoula...I suck at making trade proposals so I'll leave that up to someone else.

-----------------------

Another player being shopped is Ryan Malone, who would add some nice scoring depth to our bottom 6. He could probably be had for a defensive prospect - we have a wealth of them, and the Pens are sorely lacking in that department

-----------------------

This last one is more wishful thinking on my part, but I guess it could happen because the salaries are identical:

To Dallas: Drury
To Buffalo: Arnott

The Sabres are all skill and are sorely lacking size up the middle and throughout their lineup. Some Stars fans might disagree with this one, but I'd make this trade 7 days a week. Anyway, just my 2 cents

Old
01-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Paatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
With all respect to the finns which I love I think too many more creates clubhouse issues
Yeah, I agree. And if you have the mindset of picking all the finns in NHL, you'll make a bad trade eventually. Now you have a quite solid set of hard working ppl.

Even Niinimaa might feel at home and fit in quickly with a metalhead veteran like Lehtinen around

Old
01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadiggitystank
-----------------------

Another player being shopped is Ryan Malone, who would add some nice scoring depth to our bottom 6. He could probably be had for a defensive prospect - we have a wealth of them, and the Pens are sorely lacking in that department
Ryan Malone would be a nice pickup. Scored 23 goals i believe two years ago and is a big young player who can play any forward position. If he could be had that cheaply, we should definate look into it. The pens defense is pathetic.

Closed Thread