HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk's MVP credentials

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk's MVP credentials

He leads the league in goals and points despite not being in training camp. His team is charging towards a playoff spot. He is the most dynamic offensive player in the league for my money.

The popular choice right now is Alfredsson, but my pick would be Ilya Kovalchuk.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Sens Rule

If the Thrashers make the playoffs he would be a good choice. I have him, Alfie and Jagr as the top 3 right now.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
H2O

Boy, illegal sticks can sure do wonders huh!

Old
01-12-2006, 12:18 PM
CSKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O
Boy, illegal sticks can sure do wonders huh!

yeah Kovy is a BUST.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:19 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

If you widen the candidates a bit, you could have:

Thornton, Jagr, Alfredsson, Kiprusoff, Kovalchuk, Forsberg, Staal

Old
01-12-2006, 12:20 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
He leads the league in goals and points despite not being in training camp. His team is charging towards a playoff spot. He is the most dynamic offensive player in the league for my money.

The popular choice right now is Alfredsson, but my pick would be Ilya Kovalchuk.
I agree that he is a candidate HOWEVER, his not being int raining camp is totally irrelevant when it comes to selecting the MVP, especially when his absence was his own doing.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:23 PM
H2O

Eventhough Lundqvist would never get consideration for MVP, he deserves to be considered. As good as Jagr is for the Rangers, that team needed a great goalie to be where they are. Lundqvist has been the Rangers' MVP imo.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:24 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller

Would u plzzzzzzzzzzz finally stop this nonsense wit the training camp stuff??? It's not like he was sitting on his @$$ at home, he was playing in the RSL!

Old
01-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Bill McNeal

Definitely a candidate with Alfie and Jagr, but JJ probably has the edge if Atlanta doesn't make the playoffs and the Rangers do.

Alfredsson, unfortunately for him and probably unfairly, is playing amazingly on a team that was expected to do great and that is doing great. Jagr is playing amazing on a team expected to suck and that is doing great. When it comes time to vote, that'll be a big factor IMO.

edit: Just noticed I said Alfredsson is unfortunately playing for a great team I'm sure he'll forsake his MVP trophy for an excellent shot at the Cup.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Berkut

Send a message via MSN to Berkut
How can Atlanta NOT make the playoffs? They're playing great, and I don't see them stopping their winning streak.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:49 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut
How can Atlanta NOT make the playoffs? They're playing great, and I don't see them stopping their winning streak.
A key injury or two or three can stop most winning streaks.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

He's got to be on the short list. I think the top 5 right now are:

Alfredsson, Jagr, Kovalchuk, Kiprusoff, and Thornton

Guys right behind them are Staal, Vokoun, Forsberg, and a few others.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
If you widen the candidates a bit, you could have:

Thornton, Jagr, Alfredsson, Kiprusoff, Kovalchuk, Forsberg, Staal
Some more goalies too, Lundqvist as one, and in Carolina Brind'Amour is the man like Alfie is in Ottawa. Staal may be better but Brind'Amour may possible get a look at MVP if Carolina somehow finishes first in the east. Also Volkoun could get a nod and somebody from Detroit too if they finish first overall, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Datsuyk or Shanahan depending on how the 2nd half progresses. Also McCabe has a shot if the Leafs top 100 pts and he gets 100 points.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:52 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut
Well, their lack of defense could also catch up with them

Old
01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
I agree that he is a candidate HOWEVER, his not being int raining camp is totally irrelevant when it comes to selecting the MVP, especially when his absence was his own doing.
It's entirely possible his numbers would be better had he gotten a training camp under his belt.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:56 PM
joepeps

not with his -2 or -3 w/e he is...

theres other players with more the same or almost the same amount of points, on a getting winning team, that has good +/-... Ottawa's top 3 Jagr ext ext ext

Old
01-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

I never thought I would say that, but yes - Kovalchuk is an MVP candidate. It's a very tough call between Jagr, Alfie and Kovy. All are having outstanding seasons to say the least, but there are things that go against each:

- Jagr is not the most popular guy because of his prima-donna attitude in the past.

- Alfie may be "punished" for being on a great team.

- Kovy is young (hasn't paid his dues), Russian and a bit immature.

I think that Alfie and Kovy are better liked by the league, media, and other players then Jagr - if Jagr leads the Rangers to the playoffs, he will get it on the strength of his career stats.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:03 PM
LoonieToon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
not with his -2 or -3 w/e he is...

theres other players with more the same or almost the same amount of points, on a getting winning team, that has good +/-... Ottawa's top 3 Jagr ext ext ext
Jagr and Alfredsson are on the teams with Vezina-candidate goalies. The Thrashers have had a goaltending circus all year. When your goalie lets in 5 softies per game, it ain't helping your +/-.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
I never thought I would say that, but yes - Kovalchuk is an MVP candidate. It's a very tough call between Jagr, Alfie and Kovy. All are having outstanding seasons to say the least, but there are things that go against each:

- Jagr is not the most popular guy because of his prima-donna attitude in the past.

- Alfie may be "punished" for being on a great team.

- Kovy is young (hasn't paid his dues), Russian and a bit immature.

I think that Alfie and Kovy are better liked by the league, media, and other players then Jagr - if Jagr leads the Rangers to the playoffs, he will get it on the strength of his career stats.
One thing that will help Jagr is the New York media push.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Sens Rule

A great question is who is voted the Lester Pearson by the players. That is ultimately the higher reward. I think right now the Eastern Conference teams and especially the teams in his division vote for Alfredsson. The guy is a machine who never gives up and never stops giving his best effort.

I wonder in the New NHL with less East-West games how the Pearson vote will go East west. Will there be any cross conference voting?

Old
01-12-2006, 01:15 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
A great question is who is voted the Lester Pearson by the players. That is ultimately the higher reward. I think right now the Eastern Conference teams and especially the teams in his division vote for Alfredsson. The guy is a machine who never gives up and never stops giving his best effort.
It's a nice sentiment, but we have no idea how they'd vote.

If there's a clear player who stands out in either conference by the end of the season, he may win easily if the other conference splits the vote.

With so many of the top scorers in the East, someone like Thornton could clean up (even if he was also originally in the East). Kiprusoff is another.

Last edited by NyQuil: 01-12-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old
01-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
One thing that will help Jagr is the New York media push.
Yes, and being involved on the biggest percentage og his team's goals. (He's also +14, Kovalchuk is -2... Jagr also has 2 games in hand... Or his team does, to score a couple of points)

And most importantly... The Rangers were pegged as bottom-dwellers by almost everybody. A good number of people picked Atlanta for the playoffs.

You can argue for Alfie, Kovalchuk, Forsberg, Kiprusoff... Even McCabe.

But IMO, if the voting took place NOW... Jagr would win it.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Brad*

He wouldn't be my number one choice at the moment, but he certainly deserves consideration. He's become one of the few absolutely dominating players in the league, and that manifests itself in the way his team plays with him in the lineup. Without Kovalchuk, IMO the Thrashers are a decent team, but noy overly intimidating to face. With Kovalchuk, the complexion changes entirely. He's a force that can win games by himself.

Another player who was crept into the the MVP situation is Joe Thornton. San Jose is still on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs are concerned, but they're a much better team with him in the lineup. I would expect them to continue to play well and at the very least, challenge for that 8th spot. If that happens, combined with Thornton's offensive numbers, I think he'll receive serious consideration.

My number one choice is still Jagr. Jagr is tied for first in points, but IMO is exactly what an MVP is. Without Jagr, I really don't think the Rangers are a playoff team. You can look at it statistically and see that he's scored a very high percentage of their goals, or you could just watch them. He, along with Lundqvist, are the Rangers. As I said, without Jagr's performance, I don't believe the Rangers would be nearly as good. And that's really what the MVP is all about.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
It's a nice sentiment, but we have no idea how they'd vote.

If there's a clear player who stands out in either conference by the end of the season, he may win easily if the other conference splits the vote.

With so many of the top scorers in the East, someone like Thornton could clean up (even if he was also originally in the East). Kiprusoff is another.
Obviously i have no idea how they would vote but I bet at least all of our divisional rivals vote for Alfie.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:25 PM
mazzinov

Kovalchuk, as it stands now, is a candidate. Is he the front runner? Hard to say. we all know the Thrashers would be a totally different team without him in the lineup. But there are so many potential winners this year. Like Jagr, Alfie, Thornton, Forsberg, and so on. It could very well be the tightest race ever. But if the season were to end today, there wouldn't be a problem with any of the above being the winner. They all mean so much to their team, that a strong case could be made for each.

Closed Thread