HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We missed out on Niinimaa

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2006, 10:43 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
We missed out on Niinimaa

He would have been a great fit to come back here. And when you consider that all what it cost Dallas was John Erskine and a 2nd, you figure all what it would have taken us is maybe Dennis Seidenberg and a fourth to get him. He would have been great here.

I really hope we make a deal soon for a good defender. 15 minutes a night of Therien is too much.

Old
01-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Broad st phantom

i agree, everyones been going on about another scorer honestly were not hurting there. therien is killing us though

Old
01-10-2006, 11:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Sorry I am glad we passed on Niinimaa. he was playing terrible on a terrible team.
PASS.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Very rarely do teams make trades within their own division. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Islanders sent Niinimaa out west.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:20 AM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Very rarely do teams make trades within their own division. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Islanders sent Niinimaa out west.
Agreed. They probably don't want him over here if the change of scenery gets him going.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:22 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
He would have been a great fit to come back here. And when you consider that all what it cost Dallas was John Erskine and a 2nd, you figure all what it would have taken us is maybe Dennis Seidenberg and a fourth to get him. He would have been great here.

I really hope we make a deal soon for a good defender. 15 minutes a night of Therien is too much.

why the flyers dealt Markov, they can use him now??? A guy like Witt would be good, maybe for Seidenberg and Jones or something.

Old
01-11-2006, 05:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
We did not miss out on Janne Niinimaa. he might be better than Therien, but not much better, and certainly noy worthing giving up someone like Seidenberg and a 2nd round pick. He is not the same player he was when he was with the Flyers or even the Oilers for that matter.

If I was the Islanders, someone like Niinimaa, it won't matter because he sucks.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Philly Flyer Fan*

Thank God!!!!! We didn't miss out on this guy. We passed on him and for good reason. We don't need a gey like Janne. We need a Jason Smith/Brendan Witt like D-man.

Old
01-11-2006, 07:39 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
why the flyers dealt Markov, they can use him now???
I heard Clarke looked into paying Hatcher, Rathje, and Forsberg with chickens, under the presumption that they wouldn't count against the cap since they're not legal currency, but the PA and NHL didn't buy it. So he had to pay them in money, and traded Markov to get some cash to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan
I think he could have been okay, but I believe they can do better for a cheaper price. Just my opinion. Won't argue on Bundy - 11 minutes seemed too much of Therien for Hitch on Monday - he logged a hair over 10 minutes!

------------------------

And he's hardly an offensive force. If you stood up all the NHL defensemen and grouped them into three groups of good, average, and poor offensive skills, Niinimaa fits into the "poor" group. I'm not making this up - go look up his statistics, which are darn strange. He's the only NHL player I can identify who has regressed in every year since his first (well, in 2000-01 he had a spike in goals and assists, but his shot totals were down, leading me to classify it as "luck"). Strange. Couple that with the knowledge that since the McGillis-Niinimaa trade, McGillis had more points and over 200 more shots. Anywho, I digress.

Really, I'd prefer Eric Weinrich, who will come cheaper, for 25 games and the playoffs than Niinimaa. The former's been better this year, no questions asked, and he's more dependable.

That isn't to suggest I would have thrown up my arms in disgust had Janne come to Philly, but that he's not nearly as good as is perceived.

Old
01-11-2006, 08:38 AM
greatwhite101*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom
i agree, everyones been going on about another scorer honestly were not hurting there. therien is killing us though
Correction. Therian is our 7th defenseman when Rico and Pitkanen come back. Hitch already benched him once in the game agianst Washington. As much as I do not like to see Chris Therian on the ice he did ok for a guy who makes 500K.

Meyer, Seidenberg & maybe Jones are capable to fill 6th defenseman position. My choice is Meyer.

Old
01-11-2006, 08:43 AM
flyercide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
why the flyers dealt Markov, they can use him now??? A guy like Witt would be good, maybe for Seidenberg and Jones or something.
dealt markov to make room for other free agents. dont remember the specifics.. think it had something to do with someone named forsberg.

im glad niinimaa is long gone. he was terrible defensively when he played for the flyers. and supposably since the new nhl niinimaa has struggled bigtime adapting. he just cant play defense w/o clutching & grabbing. plus bad attitude these days supposably.

Old
01-11-2006, 09:38 AM
i am dave

Quote:

I wouldn't say I was missing him, Bob.

Old
01-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You didn't miss out on Janne N. There was never any chance of Philly getting him. Part of the premise for the deal was moving him out of the conference. Isles wouldn't have given him away so cheap for a within-division deal.

Can't fault Bobby C on this one at all.

And, Seidenberg is a nice player but not the kind of guy the Isles need. They were looking for a physical guy for the blueline. I think the other player in the running was probably Cullimore on ChiHawks.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Flyers need to bring back Vandermeer is what they need to do.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:00 PM
i am dave

How's that Jeff Woywitka looking these days?

Old
01-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
He's in the minors instead of playing for the St. Louis Blues. I think that in itself says enough.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Yep. Vandermeer would be a welcome sight if they could land him. I'm interested to see what the Flyers will do come trade deadline. I don't think it would be out of the question to see them land someone like Eric Brewer if St.Louis is going to houseclean and drop salaries. We could probably get him for draft picks. I wouldn't give up a first, but some of those 2nds and 3rds we have might do it.

Adding someone like Brewer might mean saying goodbye to Rico after this year and I'm not sure how many would be keen to doing something like that.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:11 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
And I'll never understand how he got so bad so fast. I thought Woywitka and Pitkanen were going to be the cornerstones of our defense core for years.

I think playing in the Edmonton farm system did him more harm than good. I'm one of those folks who are totally against sharing a farm team with someone else because sometimes your own players get lost in the shuffle and that seems to be the case with a few of the Edmonton prospects right now.

I think Woywitka was one of those guys who needed the steady guidance of an organization to continually watch over him and not be part of some half and half minor affiliate that would push him aside for some other prospect.

Woywitka is still young enough to turn it around though. He's what, 22 or 23 now? Yeah, plenty of time to turn it around.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:01 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Trust me, we aren't missing out on anything.

Old
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:

idk,maybe,I think he'd be doing me a favor by coming back. actually,I barely remember his years with us. anyone fill me in?

Old
01-11-2006, 05:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzapieflyphillifan
idk,maybe,I think he'd be doing me a favor by coming back. actually,I barely remember his years with us. anyone fill me in?

it was probably his best years.

He has a terrible attitude now. He was kicked out of practice one by Steve Stirling back in traning camp, and was sent home by the Finnish National team back over the World Cup. Can you see Hitchock dealing with someone like that? Chris Therien may suck, but at least he has a good attitude.

Old
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
mercury

Eric Brewer would be an incredible addition to our defensive corps, but it might take way too much to add him. I'd like a deal for a good #5-6 guy, and then try to re-sign this new guy and Johnsson in the offseason.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:36 PM
greatwhite101*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Eric Brewer would be an incredible addition to our defensive corps, but it might take way too much to add him. I'd like a deal for a good #5-6 guy, and then try to re-sign this new guy and Johnsson in the offseason.
Jones, Meyer, Seinderberg worst case scenerio Therian who is already scratched.... We have all we need.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:48 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I would love to see the Flyers get Vandy back but I think Chicago would be stupid to trade him unless the got over compensated. I, along with others I'm sure, have always hated to see him go. I think he would be the perfect element of muscle and steady defence to insert in the middle of our D-corps...and he was a Flyers type of player all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUS
Jones, Meyer, Seinderberg worst case scenerio Therian who is already scratched.... We have all we need.
I agree. Meyer and Jones(so far) have passed Therien and if Desjardins and Pitkanen come back healthy we should be ok.

I still can't believe all the good young talent we have front to back.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
I would love to see the Flyers get Vandy back but I think Chicago would be stupid to trade him unless the got over compensated. I, along with others I'm sure, have always hated to see him go. I think he would be the perfect element of muscle and steady defence to insert in the middle of our D-corps...and he was a Flyers type of player all the way.
Have you seen his fights? When he's paired against a middle-weight chances are good that he's going to knock the **** out of them.

According to the Ottawa Sun he and other players are being shopped in Chicago, hopefully this game reminds Bobby what he gave up.

Closed Thread