HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NOW, who is the worst GM in hockey?

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
This should be set up as a poll.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
EliCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
pleau in stl gets my vote. I dont care if he needs to shore up money to help the team be sold. Buffalo and Ottawa were in the same if not worse situations and didnt bomb over and sell out there star players, and if they did deal anyone away they atleast got talent back.
And you didn't even mention Pleau's horrible drafting history. Combine this w/ O'Connell's ineptitude in free agency and you have Pleau'Connell, the worst GM ever.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Worst in the West: McLean

Worst in the East: MOC

Old
01-12-2006, 05:57 PM
No Quarter

Craig Patrick

Old
01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
Bobby Clarke gets credit for assembling a damn good strong regular season team year in year out... but his refusal to get a solid goaltender with playoff success has killed Philly's chances at a cup for the past 10 years... And its like a personal vendetta with him. It wouldn't have killed him to get a goalie in the late 90's.

For Clarkes sake, I hope Frank Nitty develops into a champ. And I hope he has the sense to keep him.

So Bobby "call me Bob" Clarke gets my vote.
That is ridiculous. Perhaps Clarke's misjudgement should prevent him from being one of the top GMs in hockey but this one misjudgement should not devalue all of his other brilliant accomplishments and sink him to #30 among the league's GMs.

Bobby Clarke is a top 5 - 6 GM in this league. If he had won a cup in his last few years, he would be top 2 - 3 GM.

Old
01-12-2006, 06:10 PM
sunb

Easily George McPhee.

He doesn't know how a run a franchise and looks at every opportunity to score high picks. Instead of trying to put together a winning franchise, took the easy way out and used rebuilding as an excuse for the team's downturn. Unlike other struggling teams like Pittsburgh, which was strained by their economic inabilities, or Columbus, which was an expansion team. Washington had all the quality assets. Not only did they have a rich owner, they had the best player in the game, Jagr.

This is the team that garnered them the 1st overall pick, a team good enough to have won them the division.

Carter - Lang - Jagr
Semin - Nylander - Bondra
Konowalchuk - Halpern - Zubrus
Miller - Sutherby - Grier

Gonchar - Witt
Eminger - Norton
Bouwmedienne - Grand-Pierre

Kolzig
Ouellet

Old
01-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Doug McLean.

Old
01-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
This is the team that garnered them the 1st overall pick, a team good enough to have won them the division.

Carter - Lang - Jagr

Gonchar - Witt
Eminger - Norton

Kolzig
Ouellet
Carter was traded for Jagr, and how could any team make the playoffs with that defense?

Old
01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
With his Infernal Majesty on his way out, who is the worst GM left?

Some Bruin's fans will say Mike O'C, but I'll disagree with that one because I think that the Thornton deal is going to work out pretty good, and I think Mike O'C has made some other sharp trades as well (like Boyes). The real issue with O'C has been some of the dumb contracts.
I got a kick out of the thread title Darth.You didn't happen to push the coffee cup aside this morning in exchange for a champagne glass did you?
These worst/best threads generally deteriorate into a crap slinging contest but so far so good with this one,lets hope it continues down the straight and narrow path.

Old
01-12-2006, 07:07 PM
God Bless Canada

MacLean's botched handling of Gilbert Brule, which has stunted Brule's development, is the latest example of his ineptitude. Brule should have been sent to junior after his first injury. He would have been the best player in major junior this year. Instead, he stays up with the big club and breaks his leg. Only now it looks like Brule will be re-assigned to the Dub.

Columbus will be a perennial non-factor until MacLean is turfed.

Old
01-12-2006, 07:29 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
MacLean's botched handling of Gilbert Brule, which has stunted Brule's development, is the latest example of his ineptitude. Brule should have been sent to junior after his first injury.
What, he's supposed to know he's going to get hurt again? He wanted to give him the flavour of the NHL for his 10 games, then send him down.

It's just as likely he gets injured the WHL.

Old
01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
What, he's supposed to know he's going to get hurt again? He wanted to give him the flavour of the NHL for his 10 games, then send him down.

It's just as likely he gets injured the WHL.
...No no no...its all MacLean's fault that this kid played good enough in camp to earn a 10 game look....furthermore..its MacLean's fault that he broke his sternum and leg.

Less we forget that Brule has 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists) in the 7 games he has played for this team. He has contributed and does not look out of place as an 18 year old in the NHL.

Sure MacLean has made his share of mistakes (and also has his share of successes) but how he can be blamed for injuries is beyond me. Nash played as an 18 year old and played almost a full season. Klesla and Fritsche played up to their 10 game tryouts as 18 year olds - neither of those guys were injured. As mentioned above, players can just as easily get injuried in juniors/NCAA or crossing the street.

If your gonna bust MacLean's chops - at least bust him for something that in his control. Pretty soon he'll be blamed for having to play 40 different players this year due to injuries and causing the team to get the flu in training camp

Old
01-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Irish Blues

Pleau admitted he hasn't gotten a bona fide #1 goalie for the Blues in 9 years - that says a lot. Granted, he tried to get Hasek and failed, but he's been more interested in signing or picking up these guys than he has been finding a #1 goalie:

Rudy Poeschek
Michel Picard
Jim Carey (logged an incredible 4 games)
Vladimir Chebaturkin
Sean Hill
Alexei Gusarov
Steven Halko (acquired for Sean Hill)
Mike Keane (lasted all of 56 games)
Rich Pilon (played all of 8 games in his 2 years)
Ted Donato
Steve Dubinsky
Tom Barrasso (played a whopping 5 games)
Valeri Bure (for Mike Van Ryn)
Murray Baron
Scott Pellerin (when he sucked)
Pascal Rheaume
Aaron Downey
Steve Poapst

He also brought in Keith Allain as goaltending coach, and I'm convinced a lot of the Blues problems in net can be traced to Allain. That's not to even mention Conroy for Stillman, the Tkachuk deal, and the now failed attempt to get solid netminding from Lalime.

01-12-2006, 08:52 PM
MS

When you look at what Pleau had when he was hired, and what he has now, he has to be right up there. I can't think of anything he's done to improve that organization.

Craig Patrick has completely lost it, and his last few seasons have been embarassing.

MacLean and McPhee have done pretty sad jobs to have their organizations where they are now. Especially McPhee, when you look at the funds he had at his disposal, and how badly he ran things into the ground.

Frankly, I'd have rated all of those guys worse than Milbury even before Milbury resigned. At least the Islanders have been competitive.

Old
01-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalevPantherFan
Mike Keenan.

Stumpel? Cairns? KARPOTSEV?!?!
Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Gelinas.. 3 decent to good signings that outweigh the bad of Cairns/Krapo.. Krapo is no longer a factor. Stumpel has played pretty good lately.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
Quote:
Easily George McPhee.

He doesn't know how a run a franchise and looks at every opportunity to score high picks. Instead of trying to put together a winning franchise, took the easy way out and used rebuilding as an excuse for the team's downturn. Unlike other struggling teams like Pittsburgh, which was strained by their economic inabilities, or Columbus, which was an expansion team. Washington had all the quality assets. Not only did they have a rich owner, they had the best player in the game, Jagr.

Carter - Lang - Jagr

Gonchar - Witt
Eminger - Norton

Kolzig
Ouellet

Jagr's pampering needs were not the fault of mcphees

Old
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
How come nobody has mentioned Brian Burke as a darkhorse? Guy has a bad draft record, and was always about 2 players away from winning a cup in Vancouver- something he couldn't deliver on.

I haven't been impressed with anything he has done, other than his own PR (which he is very good at).

-fullmetalninja
I'd say because he's done very good things in Anaheim. Yeah, they're only in 9th place, but if Al Coates was still the GM(interm tag taken off), the Ducks would probably be in 12th or 13th place. Burkie's additions to the team have kept them competitive this year, and even if this year doesn't work out, he's accumulated a nice bit of cap room to make another big splash next year(maybe Marc Savard to form a very sweet tandem with Joffrey Lupul). The trades he makes never seem to look good from the start, but every one of them has looked good for the Ducks so far. He also seemed to make the right moves in Van-city to keep them a top team out West.

As for my pick for worst in the NHL, I'd go with GMGM, or for this year alone, Louie Lams.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Pleau admitted he hasn't gotten a bona fide #1 goalie for the Blues in 9 years - that says a lot. Granted, he tried to get Hasek and failed, but he's been more interested in signing or picking up these guys than he has been finding a #1 goalie:

Rudy Poeschek
Michel Picard
Jim Carey (logged an incredible 4 games)
Vladimir Chebaturkin
Sean Hill
Alexei Gusarov
Steven Halko (acquired for Sean Hill)
Mike Keane (lasted all of 56 games)
Rich Pilon (played all of 8 games in his 2 years)
Ted Donato
Steve Dubinsky
Tom Barrasso (played a whopping 5 games)
Valeri Bure (for Mike Van Ryn)
Murray Baron
Scott Pellerin (when he sucked)
Pascal Rheaume
Aaron Downey
Steve Poapst

He also brought in Keith Allain as goaltending coach, and I'm convinced a lot of the Blues problems in net can be traced to Allain. That's not to even mention Conroy for Stillman, the Tkachuk deal, and the now failed attempt to get solid netminding from Lalime.
I thought acquiring MacInnis was ingenious. Not only did they get a dominant defenseman who won a Norris Trophy with them, they also got a brilliant tutor for Pronger and helped nurture him into a Norris & Hart winner.

The Doug Weight for Marty Reasoner + Jochen Hecht deal was thievery.

And acquiring Mellanby from Florida for a nobody was also good.

Did Pleau also get Demitra?

I think Pleau did a good job overall. The St. Louis Blues have made the playoffs every year with Pleau at the helm.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
How come nobody has mentioned Brian Burke as a darkhorse? Guy has a bad draft record, and was always about 2 players away from winning a cup in Vancouver- something he couldn't deliver on.

I haven't been impressed with anything he has done, other than his own PR (which he is very good at).

-fullmetalninja
Burkie gets my vote.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

My vote goes to Mike O'Connell, though I would like to give Craig Patrick an honorable mention.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:45 PM
MS

Quote:
I thought acquiring MacInnis was ingenious. Not only did they get a dominant defenseman who won a Norris Trophy with them, they also got a brilliant tutor for Pronger and helped nurture him into a Norris & Hart winner.

The Doug Weight for Marty Reasoner + Jochen Hecht deal was thievery.

And acquiring Mellanby from Florida for a nobody was also good.

Did Pleau also get Demitra?

I think Pleau did a good job overall. The St. Louis Blues have made the playoffs every year with Pleau at the helm.
MacInnis, Pronger, and Demitra were all aquired by Keenan. MacInnis was actually aquired a year before Pronger.

Weight deal wasn't too bad, but Tkachuk was a huge overpayment. Net result of those two deals was the gutting of every decent young forward in their system - Handzus, Nagy, Hecht, Reasoner. Awful management. Not a single forward on their current roster under age 30 with more than 7 points right now, and that's the reason why.

Pleau inherited virtually the entire core which carried that team to their elite seasons from 1999-2003, did little to add to it, gutted the future of the organization, and left it a mess.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
Burkie gets my vote.
Does that really surprise anyone?

Old
01-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf
Does that really surprise anyone?
Given his abysmal record as a GM, it should be no surprise.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Given his abysmal record as a GM, it should be no surprise.

Given how you hate Burke with a passion, it's not a suprise.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Burkie gets my vote.
Shhh! you don't want Burke suing you for slander.

Closed Thread