HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NOW, who is the worst GM in hockey?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Rotting Corpse*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Well, he can't be called the worst (yet,) but Dave Nonis has had the easiest job of any GM so far.

Step 1: Re-sign all of the players that Burkie brought in.
Step 2: Bring in useless players to fill the shoes of guy's you couldn't sign due to the SC.
Step 3: Profit?

Old
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy
For this year it is Lou Lam
That is the most disgusting post I have seen in a while. Not only does Lou have NJ in the playoff picture he is doing so with the loss of Stevens, Niedermayer, Burns and Elias for a while. Sure he signed a few bad players but he fixed that. Lou is "the" best GM in the league and a few blunders will not change that.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite
Given how you hate Burke with a passion, it's not a suprise.
I hate Burke's record with a passion and with good reason.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:12 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Shhh! you don't want Burke suing you for slander.
Truth is a complete defence to any such action.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
I hate Burke's record with a passion and with good reason.

Record? What Record?

His Beatles Records? Did he record a record with William Shatner? Does he record VHS tapes in a manner in which you don't like?

Old
01-13-2006, 02:18 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

as much as i love Patrick because he played for the seals and was a great player he's been a horrible GM. Look at his free agent spending spree that did not do anything positive for the offense and he didnt improve the defense or goaltending at all. going back to elementary school he gets a and no gold star!

Old
01-13-2006, 02:26 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
Mclean?
Mac landed Rick Nash in Columbus.

As far as stupid contracts go, Marchant is the only glaring one, but Marchant also netted Fedorov, who has suddenly emerged as the set-up man to the returning Rick Nash. The team has gone 5-4-1 in it's last 10 games, and might actually turn itself around in the 2nd half.

Drafts? Yeah, his first two were relative busts in terms of later rounds, but his next three may turn out to be Columbus' saving grace.

Jaroslav Balastik led the Czech league in scoring, came over and had some transitioning problems, but may have finally found his set-up man in Hrdina, oh... and you DONT want to face him on the breakaway.

Mozyakin is tied for the scoring title in the RSL, ahead of Super-God Malkin... 9th Rd Columbus. Not to say he's a lock to come over... but if he did, he's sure to add offense to the sometimes-lax game.

Doug is in no way in the same league as Craig Patrick and Mike O'Connell. Both are arguably the worst GM's in the cap era. They gambled on the free agency market, and as of now are the biggest losers... sacrificing big names for team chemistry.

O'C traded the "Untouchable" one, and Patrick signed very lengthy contracts that make it nearly impossible to move veterans to get any sort of gain whatsoever on the market.

I really don't know if you could argue that OC and Patrick are any better than Doug, I wouldn't even say Doug is in the 5 worst in the league to be honest

Old
01-13-2006, 02:38 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
Mac landed Rick Nash in Columbus.

As far as stupid contracts go, Marchant is the only glaring one, but Marchant also netted Fedorov, who has suddenly emerged as the set-up man to the returning Rick Nash. The team has gone 5-4-1 in it's last 10 games, and might actually turn itself around in the 2nd half.

Drafts? Yeah, his first two were relative busts in terms of later rounds, but his next three may turn out to be Columbus' saving grace.

Jaroslav Balastik led the Czech league in scoring, came over and had some transitioning problems, but may have finally found his set-up man in Hrdina, oh... and you DONT want to face him on the breakaway.

Mozyakin is tied for the scoring title in the RSL, ahead of Super-God Malkin... 9th Rd Columbus. Not to say he's a lock to come over... but if he did, he's sure to add offense to the sometimes-lax game.

Doug is in no way in the same league as Craig Patrick and Mike O'Connell. Both are arguably the worst GM's in the cap era. They gambled on the free agency market, and as of now are the biggest losers... sacrificing big names for team chemistry.

O'C traded the "Untouchable" one, and Patrick signed very lengthy contracts that make it nearly impossible to move veterans to get any sort of gain whatsoever on the market.

I really don't know if you could argue that OC and Patrick are any better than Doug, I wouldn't even say Doug is in the 5 worst in the league to be honest
If Mclean would just hire a good coach and get another defensive defenseman the blue jackets could be heck of scary!

Old
01-13-2006, 02:42 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetri2000
If Mclean would just hire a good coach and get another defensive defenseman the blue jackets could be heck of scary!
I tend to agree... only somewhat though.

Gallant has only had part of a season as a head coach. He still makes rookie coach mistakes, like his idea of making things work by mixing up lines that started to click early in the season (Balastik-Hrdina, Malhotra-Zherdev), But also it can't be said enough that Injuries essentially zapped this team of anything it could've mustered... nevermind the "flu" that sent Training Camp to a screeching halt.

As far as the D goes... Columbus is in pretty good shape. Klesla has quietly been playing like the fourth overall pick he was chosen to be. If he can somehow find it in him to stay off the IR for the rest of the season, he could be something special to add too an abysmal season. "Hollywood" Hainsey has been a pleasant surprise, especially after all the crap Montreal posters talked about him. Even Duvie Wescott has made himself an asset to the club.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:49 AM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Given his abysmal record as a GM, it should be no surprise.
It is no surprise, given that you seem to be a huge Umberger fan, which would make you, by default, an enemy of Brian Burke.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Rand

With Milbury gone the only guy left on the job that I feel is truly terrible and far worse then the norm is Doug MacLean.

So for now he's the choice hands down IMHO.

01-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Allman
Craig Patrick
I'll go with that.

Old
01-13-2006, 08:46 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
I tend to agree... only somewhat though.

Gallant has only had part of a season as a head coach. He still makes rookie coach mistakes, like his idea of making things work by mixing up lines that started to click early in the season (Balastik-Hrdina, Malhotra-Zherdev), But also it can't be said enough that Injuries essentially zapped this team of anything it could've mustered... nevermind the "flu" that sent Training Camp to a screeching halt.

As far as the D goes... Columbus is in pretty good shape. Klesla has quietly been playing like the fourth overall pick he was chosen to be. If he can somehow find it in him to stay off the IR for the rest of the season, he could be something special to add too an abysmal season. "Hollywood" Hainsey has been a pleasant surprise, especially after all the crap Montreal posters talked about him. Even Duvie Wescott has made himself an asset to the club.
Two things that I have really liked about MacLean in the cap era:

1. He didn't sign any UFA's to over a 3 year contract. In fact Foote was the only player to get a 3 year deal. Berard 2 years, Prusek 1 year, Hrdina 1 year. That is smart cap management when dealing with UFAs.

2. He has never traded away his youth. All six #1 draft picks have played on the big club and are still in the organization. Four - Nash, Leclaire, Klesla, Zherdev - are regulars for this team.

These two situations when looked at together tell me that the CBJ are set up well for the future. When the young guys like Picard/Brule come of their rookie deals and other guys like Zherdev/Fritsche/Leclaire/Klesla really start coming into their own guys like Foote and Fedorov will most likely be ending their careers and will come off the books. There will be cap space available to keep these key guys within the organization.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobert
It is no surprise, given that you seem to be a huge Umberger fan, which would make you, by default, an enemy of Brian Burke.
Not so much an Umberger fan as the situation showing just how poorly Burkie performed. Similar to his inability to solve the goaltending issues in Vancouver.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:50 PM
jacketracket*

I don't think the GM of a 5th-year expansion team could have had the time to legitimately establish himself as "best or worst". Nothing MacLean has done (or not done) has been craptacular enough to merit the kvetching he's getting in this thread.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Not so much an Umberger fan as the situation showing just how poorly Burkie performed. Similar to his inability to solve the goaltending issues in Vancouver.

I smell a memeber of the Vancouver Media.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite
I smell a memeber of the Vancouver Media.
No sense of smell.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:45 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I have never liked Brian Burke...when he was in Vancouver, and he was pulling this whiny-*** crap, he was one of those people you just want to look at and say,
"Shut up."

I dont think he's improved over time.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetri2000
A-MEN!!!!

Old
01-13-2006, 02:04 PM
pei fan

Doug MacLean is getting a bad rap.Does everyone forget he was making money the last time the NHL was played.Pretty good considering they were an expansion team and there were only 10 other teams pofitable.Making money is part of being a good GM isn't it. There is no question the team had it's trials at the first of the year but let's wait and see what they can do healthy.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:14 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei fan
Doug MacLean is getting a bad rap.Does everyone forget he was making money the last time the NHL was played.Pretty good considering they were an expansion team and there were only 10 other teams pofitable.Making money is part of being a good GM isn't it. There is no question the team had it's trials at the first of the year but let's wait and see what they can do healthy.
I wouldn't consider it the job of a good GM. It should be a byproduct of the NHL's success. I think their are higher ups more concerned with profit. That's why they set the budget for the GM, ticket prices, etc. etc. A GM is basically given a slice of cash and told to go build a winner using the means we've given you. If you judge a GM based on profit, I think you are unfairly granting MacLean an edge that is his only because of a wonderful CBJ market.

MacLean is a terrible, terrible GM. 6 drafts in and they are no better of than in their inaugural season. Year 1: 71 points. Year 2: 57 points. Year 3: 69. Year 4: 62. Year 5: N/A Year 6: On pace for 57 points.

He makes money through little doing of his own. His bad team is his own doing though.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I have never liked Brian Burke...when he was in Vancouver, and he was pulling this whiny-*** crap, he was one of those people you just want to look at and say,
"Shut up."

I dont think he's improved over time.
OTOH he could not go much lower.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:28 PM
pei fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I wouldn't consider it the job of a good GM. It should be a byproduct of the NHL's success. I think their are higher ups more concerned with profit. That's why they set the budget for the GM, ticket prices, etc. etc. A GM is basically given a slice of cash and told to go build a winner using the means we've given you. If you judge a GM based on profit, I think you are unfairly granting MacLean an edge that is his only because of a wonderful CBJ market.

MacLean is a terrible, terrible GM. 6 drafts in and they are no better of than in their inaugural season. Year 1: 71 points. Year 2: 57 points. Year 3: 69. Year 4: 62. Year 5: N/A Year 6: On pace for 57 points.

He makes money through little doing of his own. His bad team is his own doing though.
The players they're building from the ground up look very promising. Klesa is looking awesome right now (but was injured for quite a while).LeClaire is starting to mature and certainly looks to have the potential of a top notch goalie.Let's not forget the Nash pick which is looking better all the time when you consider how Bouwmeester is doing.There are others as well but like I said if your deciding it on the teamhe has now,let's wait and see how good the team is when they're healthy.Recent indications show they may not be too bad.Recent indications may also show he underpaid for rick Nash.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM
pei fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause

The players they're building from the ground up look very promising. Klesa is looking awesome right now (but was injured for quite a while).LeClaire is starting to mature and certainly looks to have the potential of a top notch goalie.Let's not forget the Nash pick which is looking better all the time when you consider how Bouwmeester is doing.There are others as well but like I said if your deciding it on the team he has now,let's wait and see how good the team is when they're healthy.Recent indications show they may not be too bad.Recent indications may also show he underpaid for rick Nash.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Burkie gets my vote.

Oh. My. God.

Closed Thread