HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Andreychuk HHOF worthy?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
This is the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME guys. This is a place where legends are honoured and become immortilized. Dave Andreychuk was a very good hockey player and a very likable guy, but at no point in his career was he even close to being one of the league top players. He was rarely (if ever) the best player on his team, let alone the league.

I love Andreychuk, but what is a HALL OF FAME if guys like him get in it? I's not a place for very good players, it's a place for legends.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Big Phil

Somehow I think he'll get in. First off I am totally against him being in there and think that he wasnt any better than Bob Pulford, and Pulford is the worst player in the HOF. But I know he'll be one of those sentimental picks much like Neely.

But seriously over 600 goals. Fine not bad. But if you play for 23 years and score 40% of your goals on the power play you're going to get a lot of goals. Andreychuk was never, not once considered a top 10 player in the game. Maybe not even a top 20 in the game, even in his prime. If Doug Gilmour is questionable to get in than how can Andreychuk be even mentioned? He had no post season all-star selections and one Stanley Cup which he played a marginal role in, on the ice. Think about it if he hadnt won the Cup in '04 would we even be talking about him? No. Gilles and Federko were mistakes. But lets not make anymore of them eh? Andreychuk was not great. Sure he has over 1300 points but look at how many games he needed! And look at his playoff record. Maybe a lot of people dont know this but he has very wretched playoff stats. And the power play goal record? Come on, a show of hands who even knew about that record before he broke it? Tim Kerr put up a bunch of power play goals and actually has the season record of 34 and he isnt in there.

Please HOF commitee, I'm running out of excuses as to why you guys arent a joke anymore!

Old
01-13-2006, 01:50 PM
revolverjgw

Quote:
I'd be happy to throwdown a $20K bet with the first person who doesn't think he'll get into the HOF.
I think most of us who believe he's not worthy DO believe he has a good chance of getting in, because of less than stellar standards.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
That's not really fair as both these guys had Gretzky on most of their teams.
Andreychuk had LaFontaine and Gilmour through much of the early part of his career. The point is that the assertion was made is a poor basis for inclusion or exclusion, because you could go back and find a bunch of players who didn't meet that criteria.

Some of you are confusing "Hall of Fame" with "Hall of Extreme All-Time Greatness" and need to re-adjust your standards. Steve Shutt had *one* 60-goal season, 3 other 40-goal seasons, and 5 more 30-goal seasons. He hit 100+ points once. He logged 424 goals and 817 points in 930 career games. He *never* led his team in scoring - either in the regular season or the playoffs. He was a 1st-team NHL All-Star once and a 2nd-team NHL All-Star twice. But I can guarantee you that Shutt absolutely deserves his spot in the Hall of Fame, regardless of how many Cup-winning teams he was a part of. If you saw him play for Montreal in the 70s, you'd understand there's no question he belongs there.

Buddhaful - if you don't want to take all of those $20 bets, I'll handle a few.

01-13-2006, 02:50 PM
coliseum74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
A fantastic story? Wow, then explain this away. Because the last I heard, Anderson had still yet to pay anything on what a court found he owed; he had been hiding out at a house he owned in the Caribbean on Turks and Caicos. Mike Ulmer's column on Anderson not making it to the HHOF (which does mention his contentious relationship with the media that you pointed out) pretty much lays out the reasons why Anderson won't be in anytime soon.

I never said his stats and on-ice performance didn't make him HHOF worthy; it was his off-ice antics that were keeping him out.
The settlement was in November of 2002, the article you linked is dated July 2002.

edit: It looks like you missed my edit, including a link to an article mentioning the settlement.

Old
01-13-2006, 05:04 PM
God Bless Canada

Phil, I've asked this before, and I'm asking again: How is Cam Neely, No. 4 all-time in playoff goals-per-game, a four-time second-team all-star and a dominant combination of goal-scoring and physical play, a sentimental choice?

The Hall of Fame should be an exclusive group, a place filled with the all-time greats of the game, or at least those who have revolutionized the sport, been defining players in their generation, or done something truly remarkable to qualify. Most career PP goals would not qualify as remarkable.

Steve Shutt was a key player on a dynasty. That's why he's in the Hall. Cups and post-season play count big-time. End of debate there.

Dino Ciccarelli was a better player than Andreychuk. Dino has been turned down four times. I don't see Dino getting in until 2010 at the earliest.

Old
01-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaful
I'd be happy to throwdown a $20K bet with the first person who doesn't think he'll get into the HOF.
No kidding. Anyone who thinks he's not getting in is stark raving mad.

Closed Thread