HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

messier question

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 06:11 AM
tony

vCash: 500
messier question

if sather is going to commit 13+ mins a night to messier why doesn't he move mess to the wing? have him play with lindros and move carter or rucinsky down. i'm not saying by any means that mess has earned it but i'd rather have him move up than have him take minutes away from lindros and holik and it's not like carter and rucinsky have been outplaying mess by any stretch anyway. seems to me that lindros needs more ice to be effective. i think rolling 4 lines is a novel concept but let's face it we don't have the type of players that'll excel in that type of program and whether we like it or not sather will have messier seeing a good amt of ice some how. aside from mess retiring i don't see how sather can give him ice that doesn't come at the expense of the guys we really need out there. i don't post here often but i'm kinda getting to the end of my rope with this team.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Welcome to the club. I don't think moving Messier to LW would work. He's not really capable of going into the corners and digging the puck out in traffic anymore and he's the only center who seems to be able to win an important draw. Not really sure what's going to happen, but right now, players have to step up and start playing as hard as Messier routinely does. If more players were working hard, it would be easier to give other players critical ice time that is currently going to Messier. That and Sather still hasn't paid attention to creating a team. Just a bunch of jumbled, ill-fitting parts.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:01 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Welcome to the club. I don't think moving Messier to LW would work. He's not really capable of going into the corners and digging the puck out in traffic anymore and he's the only center who seems to be able to win an important draw.

I can't say that I've watched too much of the Rangers this year, but if what you're saying is true about the face-offs than it is pretty sad. Lindros, Holik and Nedved are all very good face-off men. The Rangers should be about the best team in the NHL when it comes to face-offs.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I can't say that I've watched too much of the Rangers this year, but if what you're saying is true about the face-offs than it is pretty sad. Lindros, Holik and Nedved are all very good face-off men. The Rangers should be about the best team in the NHL when it comes to face-offs.
Actually, Lindros hasn't been too bad, but Holik has been awful. Seems like he can't win a draw in the 2nd period (where the Rangers have been putrid).

Old
10-20-2003, 11:21 AM
Fletch

The minutes are distributed...

in a nice fashion. When rolling four lines, the fourth line should get 8-10 minutes of ice time, and the Rangers' fourth line does. Mess gets up to 13+ through specialty teams (and I think I noticed a power play or two that Mess was not on Saturday night). So moving Mess to wing doesn't do too much.

Old
10-20-2003, 12:01 PM
tony

[QUOTE=Fletch]in a nice fashion. When rolling four lines, the fourth line should get 8-10 minutes of ice time, and the Rangers' fourth line does. Mess gets up to 13+ through specialty teams (and I think I noticed a power play or two that Mess was not on Saturday night). So moving Mess to wing doesn't do too much.[/QUOTE
i guess what i was really trying to say was that i think this team is ONLY rolling 4 lines because of messier. with the lineup we have i think we'd be better off going with primarily 3 lines getting the nedved and lindros lines out there as much as possible with holik's line up against the opposition's top line. with messier a center this can never happen.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:01 PM
RANGER#11

[QUOTE=tony]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
in a nice fashion. When rolling four lines, the fourth line should get 8-10 minutes of ice time, and the Rangers' fourth line does. Mess gets up to 13+ through specialty teams (and I think I noticed a power play or two that Mess was not on Saturday night). So moving Mess to wing doesn't do too much.[/QUOTE
i guess what i was really trying to say was that i think this team is ONLY rolling 4 lines because of messier. with the lineup we have i think we'd be better off going with primarily 3 lines getting the nedved and lindros lines out there as much as possible with holik's line up against the opposition's top line. with messier a center this can never happen.
I feel are 1st line has been realy good so far. It may or may not have been started for Mess but it is effective

Old
10-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

messier has not been that awful for the rangers this season. sather is just playing the guys that show the most effort

Closed Thread