HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

pitkanen vs. phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 09:31 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
pitkanen vs. phaneuf

im not sure if this had been a thread before, but i think it's a very interesting one. these are both going to be elite defenders in the next three years. i know pitkanen has been injured, but he should be back in uniform in a few weeks. it'll be interesting to see what he will do coming off the injury. so who would you rather have for now and the future? pitkanen or phaneuf?

Old
01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
revolverjgw

vCash: 500
I'd take Phaneuf because A- he's rougher and tougher B- he's Canadian. Yeah, I went there, so sue me. These two are like neck and neck though.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Pitkanen for both questions. He'd possibly be the Norris trophy frontrunner right now if he hadn't been injured.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:38 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw
I'd take Phaneuf because A- he's rougher and tougher B- he's Canadian. Yeah, I went there, so sue me. These two are like neck and neck though.
Pitkanen does not shy away from throwing his body around at all

Old
01-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I think we've had this thread before, and it's a very good comparison, because both will be studs. I think between the two of them, they'll be equals, and will split 10 norris trophies between 2008 and 2018

Old
01-12-2006, 09:40 PM
revolverjgw

Quote:
Pitkanen does not shy away from throwing his body around at all
Oh I know, he's no creampuff. But Phaneuf looks to be the next Scott Stevens.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:44 PM
sunb

Pitkanen is better and will be the better defenseman down the road. Unfortunately, his durability will always be questionable and he will likely have a Peter Forsberg / Chris Pronger type of illustrious but injury-ridden career. Phaneuf will likely have the better career because of that.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
Pitkanen is better and will be the better defenseman down the road. Unfortunately, his durability will always be questionable and he will likely have a Peter Forsberg / Chris Pronger type of illustrious but injury-ridden career. Phaneuf will likely have the better career because of that.
You seem like an authority on picking great defensemen...

Old
01-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Danny__K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken
You seem like an authority on picking great defensemen...
hah

Old
01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Where will Ryan Suter and Jack Johnson be in those 2008-2018 debates?

Old
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Geese_Howard*

offensive wise, give the slight edge to pits, but phaneuf has a much better shot imo

defesively, its phaneuf hands down, hes been the best calgary dman all year, that says alot when you look at the solid dman they have

Old
01-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard
offensive wise, give the slight edge to pits, but phaneuf has a much better shot imo

defesively, its phaneuf hands down, hes been the best calgary dman all year, that says alot when you look at the solid dman they have
Regehr has been calgary's best dman all year. I don't think that's really up for argument.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard

Offensive wise you give the slight edge to Pitkanen? Are you kidding me, they're night and day on the offensive end. Yes Phaneuf has a nice shot, which will allow him to put up points on the PP, but Pitkanen has a rare gift that not many defenseman have. He can create offense on his own. He is a world class skater with superb offensive instincts and even though he doesn't possess that 100 MPH slap shot, he is light years better than Phaneuf offensively and will always be.

Defensively, Phaneuf is a beast and a pain in the neck to play against because you always have to keep your head up. But Pitkanen possesses incredible speed and a great poke check, which will enable him to be a very good defensive defenseman. His decision making isn't perfect right now, but in due time it will improve and he will be a stud on the defensive end. I like Pitkanen's defensive ability to a Lidstrom and Phaneuf to Stevens on the defensive end. Both Lidstrom and Stevens are excellent defensive defenseman, they've just done it in different ways.

I love them both and I am perfectly content with Pitkanen. I wouldn't deal him for Phaneuf, I wouldn't deal him for any D man in the world. I do agree with the statement that they will battle it out for Norris Trophy's for years to come. Imagine if Phaneuf had fallen to the Flyers at 11, a Pitkanen-Phaneuf pairing would have been flat out scary.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Fuman*

lol

stop being so biased frankly I'd take phaneuf he's much more durable and an adam footesque player

pitkanen is too injury prone atm

Old
01-12-2006, 11:49 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
One major injury and Pronger and Pitkanen are injury-prone? Wow.

Pitkanen for me.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Thalia

Pitkanen gets points for way better looks.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:56 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
both are fantastic, but...

dion phaneuf: 20 years old
joni pitkanen: 22 years old

if phaneuf can do what he's done already with 2 years less development than pitkanen, then i'm confident he'll be the all-around better player at 22 and beyond. right now, though, i think they're neck and neck.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Flash Walken

LOL PIKTANEN IS MADE OF GLASS LIKE FORSBERG OMG OVECHKIN ALL THE WAY

This thread is turning stupid. Piktanen's had one significant injury, and so far phaneuf has been lucky enough to be significant-injury-free, knock on wood (though, if rat-je had his way, things would be different. What a dirtball.)

They are two different types of players, who will probably both go on to have great careers are star defensemen. Right now, I'd pick Phaneuf, just because he provides the physical element that pitkanen just doesn't have. Don't jump on that as if I'm saying pitkanen is soft like my dad's ankles, he just doesn't provide the same physicality that Phaneuf does.

Phaneuf can and does create offense all on his own, but most of the time he's being responsible defensively. I think he's atleast as good a skater at pitkanen, probably the best skater on the flames D, one of the smoothest too, behind regehr. Like pitkanen, he also has a great stick, and uses it incredibly well (ask bertuzzi). Phaneuf can easily handle playing time against the league's top forwards (He's been the first option for sutter when matching up against vancouver's naslund-morrison-bertuzzi line, also saw lots of minutes against Ottawa's top line, for examples).

Old
01-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
both are fantastic, but...

dion phaneuf: 20 years old
joni pitkanen: 22 years old

if phaneuf can do what he's done already with 2 years less development than pitkanen, then i'm confident he'll be the all-around better player at 22 and beyond. right now, though, i think they're neck and neck.
That's a valid point, but Dion's offensive game can only become so good. He's never going to be a type of defenseman that can take over a game offensively, he can do it physically though.

I'll admit that Phaneuf is more likely to reach his defensive peak than Joni is. It's not set in stone that just because Joni has all the physical attributes to be a great defensive defenseman (great poke check, speed, outlet pass, mean streak) that he will develop enough to become Lidstrom quality defensively. On the other hand, Phaneuf is already a really good defensive defenseman and it's pretty likely that he'll be a great defensive defenseman in the near future.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:07 AM
revolverjgw

Quote:
Pitkanen gets points for way better looks
Lesser of two evils. Pitkanen reminds me of Wheels from Degrassi, minus the glasses... but Phaneuf looks like a she-male.

What a fine post I just made.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuman
stop being so biased frankly I'd take phaneuf he's much more durable and an adam footesque player

pitkanen is too injury prone atm
One muscle tear and all of a sudden he's injury prone? One badly delivered hit where knees collide and Phaneuf's career is over. Same logic.

I honestly couldn't choose between the two. How about a hybrid? Pitkanen's offense and Phaneuf's defense.

The question then becomes, which face do you take? They are both pretty ugly...

His name will be Dini (Di-on + Jo-ni) Pitneuf.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw
Lesser of two evils. Pitkanen reminds me of Wheels from Degrassi, minus the glasses... but Phaneuf looks like a she-male.

What a fine post I just made.
Bonus points for the Wheels reference.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:27 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Phaneuf: 43 - 11+14=25 +1
Pitkänen: 25 - 8+16=24 +18

Too bad he got injured, Joni would probably be running away with this. The two are like the old proverb of apples and oranges, you get something with one that the other can't provide, both ways.

It's always nice to have a physically dominating defender on the ice, but even if Pitkänen was a 60 game a year + playoffs type of guy due to injuries, he'd probably have more points and win more games thanks to his decisive offensive flair.

But if he doesn't get injured..

Old
01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Flash Walken

I am very wary of threads speculating on future injuries.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:04 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
yoo forgot BOUWMEESTER!!!1!

Closed Thread