HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-pick at #5?

View Poll Results: Hindsight, who do you pick at #5?
Carey Price (5) 54 36.00%
Gilbert Brule (6) 12 8.00%
Luc Bourdon (10) 49 32.67%
Marc Staal (11) 33 22.00%
Tuukka Rask (21) 2 1.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 10:51 PM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Re-pick at #5?

in hindsight, who do you pick at #5?

carey price, whl: 13-12-3, 2.79 gaa, .910 save%
gilbert brule, nhl: 7gp, 2 goals, 4 points
luc bourdon, qmjhl: 20 gp, 2 goals, 20 points
marc staal, ohl: 29 gp, 7 goals, 33 points
tuukka rask, sm-liiga: 4-6-3, 2.31 gaa, .922 save%

price: started off cold, got hot, cut from wjc, tremendous talent
brule: made nhl club, lots of injuries, sent back to whl soon
bourdon: almost made vancouver canucks, great season in q, top dman at wjc
staal: almost made new york rangers, great season in o, top dman at wjc
rask: good season as rookie in top league, best goalie at wjc

Last edited by leafaholix*: 01-12-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old
01-12-2006, 10:52 PM
jcpenny

Bourdon

Old
01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Bourdon, without a doubt.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
RE-HABS

Everyone is an expert 7 months later!

Price is still my pick, guess I'm just loyal and have faith in the scouting and management.

Didn't like Brule then because I said he was too small and too injury prone, wasn't wrong there and looks to be a legit "Benoit Brunet" candidate.

Staal is good and so is Bourdon, but are they NHL good? Time will only tell, much like the Price pick.

Too much 2nd guessing going on around here with coaching, management, players, prospects and picks...people need to relax and do a wait and see.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Price is still my pick, guess I'm just loyal and have faith in the scouting and management.
Same thing for me. Bourdon is second but at the time of the draft, he would also have been a reach. We have many offensivly mind players so I'm not mad we didn't picked Brule. Anyways, I would have been happy with any of these players and I really trust the scouting staff so go Price!

Old
01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I really like Staal, so I voted him. I'm confident in the Canadiens' scouting, though. I've just never seen Price in action.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
What ? Loyalty ? Huh ?

You mean they can do no wrong and always make the best possible pick and there's no way there was a better player available and that if we think otherwise we're being disloyal, not true fans, whatver ?

Please...

Old
01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
What ? Loyalty ? Huh ?

You mean they can do no wrong and always make the best possible pick and there's no way there was a better player available and that if we think otherwise we're being disloyal, not true fans, whatver ?

Please...
it's "loyalty" until the player becomes a ron hainsey or marcel hossa. then it's the players fault for not becoming what everyone expected.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Form and Substance

People would have FREAKED out if Staal and Bourdon been picked any higher than they were. If I recall correctly, at some point they were both reaches for the first round during the late stages of the 04-05 campaign. Memories fade fast.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:08 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore_boy
it's "loyalty" until the player becomes a ron hainsey or marcel hossa. then it's the players fault for not becoming what everyone expected.
Exactly !

Old
01-12-2006, 11:27 PM
znk

Lets have this poll in 4 years.

If price turns out to be what the habs think he can be. Then it wont be a question.
An Elite goalie is worth more for a team then any elite player.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:28 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Exactly !
I never seen a a board that is so dis-loyal to their team like this one!

Everyone here calls for the head for some one after any bad game, a trade not made and player not picked up on waivers or the trading or waiving of players that do well on another team and then they all of a sudden want them back.

This board is so "bandwagon" that it is pathetic and when a fan does show loyalty they get flak for it, thats just BS.

Am I happy with everything this team has ever done? NO.

But unlike the majority here I do have faith in this team and have seen them win before, we just need some adjustment in veteran players to help our "GOOD PICKS" like Ryder, Higgins, Plekanec, Kosts, Perezhogin, Komisarek, Koivu, Theodore, Markov, Rivet to give this team more balance and depth.

How many people here were moaning about Chipchura...lots, but now they are all back or are jumping onto the Chipchura bandwagon!

Fans here are just flakey and UN-loyal.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I remember thinking of Staal as a darkhorse pick at 5th overall. Supposedly Carolina was even ready to take him at 3rd if JJohnson was already picked. With his overall development and the WJC tourney, I reckon that the Habs would be pretty satisified now had they chosen Staal. Hopefully we'll be saying the same or better about Price after next year's WJCs.

I don't think Price was a bad pick at all, and he could very well surpass all of those guys. But Staal and maybe even Bourdon would have been good picks, especially if you believe in drafting at least partly by need.

Old
01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
alexstream

Price!!!

I'm looking at all the franchises with young HOT goalies and I envy them. NYR with Lundqvist, Carolina with Ward, etc.

You know, a goalie who gets in the league and is already really good, but gets to develop with the new rules, instead of trying to get rid of the old habits (which is harder).

Old
01-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Should have been a defenseman and I don't care what anyone else says. Our current defense is TERRIBLE. Our defensive prospect depth is TERRIBLE.

This is nothing against Price but we should have picked a defenseman.

Old
01-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Habstract0

Cogliano.

Needs to work on his D, that's why Sutter didn't use him enough but he has an amazing talent in the offensive zone. In the new NHL, these speedy smallish players will shine.

Old
01-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Should have been a defenseman and I don't care what anyone else says. Our current defense is TERRIBLE. Our defensive prospect depth is TERRIBLE.

This is nothing against Price but we should have picked a defenseman.
Agree though Bourdon or Staal or any other d-men at that time was not suppose to go as high as 5th. Like a lot of posters said, it would've been preferable to trade down, get another pick and then pick either Bourdon or Staal or Parent who I liked very much now.

My problem with Price is not Price himself as it is with a goalie being picked #5. I think it would've been better to go with Bernier this year who seems to be a great goalie in the makings and that could be pick around 15th where we should be.

But true that once Price becomes the Price that we all expect or wish to be, we will all say that they were right. But as much as we are quick on blasting them for their poor draft choices, we are as quick to praise them as well.

it's a good opportunity to see what Price is really made of, I think we will have a chance to see how he is mentally.

Old
01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
I would have picked Bourdon, simply because outside of Hainsey, Emelin and Komisarek there was not real defensive prospect and we already had Danis in the system. And out of Staal and Bourdon, since their potential seems to be similar, I would have picked the QJMHL product. Second choice would have been Price though.

Old
01-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Matrix

Quote:

Everyone here calls for the head for some one after any bad game, a trade not made and player not picked up on waivers or the trading or waiving of players that do well on another team and then they all of a sudden want them back.

This board is so "bandwagon" that it is pathetic and when a fan does show loyalty they get flak for it, thats just BS.

But unlike the majority here I do have faith in this team and have seen them win before, we just need some adjustment in veteran players to help our "GOOD PICKS" like Ryder, Higgins, Plekanec, Kosts, Perezhogin, Komisarek, Koivu, Theodore, Markov, Rivet to give this team more balance and depth.

How many people here were moaning about Chipchura...lots, but now they are all back or are jumping onto the Chipchura bandwagon!

But when you say that, have you actually went to other boards before making such assumption??? Just go see the Boston-LA game thread, or any other board for that matter that has their team in a losing streak like we are. We're definately no better but no worse. If it seems worse to you, it's just a combination of being more passionnate and caring about the team. We have an average of 20 pages per game thread while others have 8. And don't say because we say more stupidities here, you've got to go see the other boards to realize what's happening there.

But what I think it tells you is that we just don't have the identity that we wished we had. How come when there's one small bodycheck at the Bell Centre, there's a big cheer coming out of that crowd??? 'Cause they don't see that anymore and I think it's time we have a team full of energy, hardwork and dedication that could make up for the losses if we're still not top 5 material with that kind of team. We could still lose our amount of games but at least we would be funnier to watch and that's why people complain and whine.

When Begin is your favorite player it sure means that you would actually appreciate having more players like him with, I hope, more talent as well.

But if we write here, even though we have different opinions, it surely means we care and the day will stop caring, well then you should start worrying more than you are right now.

Go Habs!!!

Old
01-13-2006, 10:18 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstract
Cogliano.

Needs to work on his D, that's why Sutter didn't use him enough but he has an amazing talent in the offensive zone. In the new NHL, these speedy smallish players will shine.
If Cogliano was our first pick at #5 overall, I think Timmins, Gainey and cie. would have received quite a few not very flattering comments.

As for the poll, I'm voting for Price. Two early to tell, but in terms of potential, he's in a superior class. Guys like Bourdon and Staal will be rocks on defence for their NHL team, no doubt, but neither of them IMO has the gamebreaking ability of Carey Price.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Habstract0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Chipchura
If Cogliano was our first pick at #5 overall, I think Timmins, Gainey and cie. would have received quite a few not very flattering comments.

As for the poll, I'm voting for Price. Two early to tell, but in terms of potential, he's in a superior class. Guys like Bourdon and Staal will be rocks on defence for their NHL team, no doubt, but neither of them IMO has the gamebreaking ability of Carey Price.
Probably, just like they did by selecting Price. I'm basing my opinion on what I saw at the WJC. I think Cogliano will have a better career than Bourdon.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
E = CH²

Quote:

I still don't get the unloyal stuff. We don't have to be "loyal". My only loyalty is to the franchise, not necessarily 100% of their line up and farm team.

When people stick by the team after 10 years of losing, I think, wether they complain or not, that they're pretty loyal. And for me that's all there is to being loyal to your team. I'm not going to start to like Sundstrom and Dagenais because they're wearing the jersey. And I'm sure there are players that you hate in this league and wouldn't like to see wear the habs jersey (Domi, Avery, Bertuzzi, etc).

I liked the Kostitsyn pick back then (altough I still hold doubts about him), I liked the Chipchura pick too (altough I really liked Meszaros back then, and no it's not in hindsight I really liked Meszaros), I liked most of the picks we've made except Price. But he's not a bad pick either and could turn out to be a pretty good player. But right now, at this point in time, in their ridiculously young career, some players appear to be better, safer picks like Bourdon. That doesn't mean people think Price is an awful pick/player and that it won't ever do anything for the franchise, or that they think the habs scouting staff is bad. And I don't think it shows lack of loyalty either.

As for the bandwagonning, it's been like that for as long as there have been fans and it will always be like that. And I'd add that to blindly support every single assets we have is a kind of bandwagonning too.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
And I'd add that to blindly support every single assets we have is a kind of bandwagonning too.
I only quoted this piece because I have no idea how this makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Bandwagon Effect
The bandwagon effect is the observation that people often do (or believe) things because many other people do (or believe) the same. The effect is often pejoratively referred to as herd instinct, particularly as applied to adolescents. Without examining the merits of the particular thing, people tend to "follow the crowd." The bandwagon effect is the reason for the bandwagon fallacy's success.
If you consistently blindly support a team for all time, even when the majority does not support the team, then you are not following the crowd and therefore are not bandwagoning.

Sorry, that just stuck out as a weird thing to say.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:45 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
I only quoted this piece because I have no idea how this makes any sense.

If you consistently blindly support a team for all time, even when the majority does not support the team, then you are not following the crowd and therefore are not bandwagoning.

Sorry, that just stuck out as a weird thing to say.
It's the positive bandwagon. There's one on these boards. Everything is always good, all our players are good, Gainey/Julien never makes mistakes.

EDIT : But thank you for the definition, Petit Robert

Old
01-13-2006, 11:02 AM
BORAT

Price you monkies

Price = End to Theodore obsessive contract behavior

Closed Thread