HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Player OF the DECADE 90-99 (U asked for it)

View Poll Results: NYR Player Of the Decade 90-99
Mark Messier 42 39.25%
Brian Leetch 39 36.45%
Mike Richter 11 10.28%
Mike Gartner 1 0.93%
Alex Kovalev 1 0.93%
Wayne Gretzky 2 1.87%
Adam Graves 6 5.61%
Jeff Beukeboom 1 0.93%
Sergei Nemchinov 1 0.93%
James Patrick 0 0%
Tony Amonte 0 0%
Joey Kocur 1 0.93%
Ulf Samuelsson 0 0%
Esa Tikkanen 2 1.87%
Other (Nedved, Lowe, Zubov, Verbeek) 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
GarretJoseph*

vCash: 500
NYR Player OF the DECADE 90-99 (U asked for it)

As Hard as It was to find players for the player of the decade (SO FAR) for 2000-06, it was even harder leaving certain players off for the 90-99 seasons.

You guys asked for one for the 90's, here it is.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Why is this night different from all other nights?

He's our Messiah.

Richter and Leetch come very close too.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:29 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Richter
Mess
Leetch

Mike, I think, was hte greatest goalie in NYR history. Obviously Eddie right behind

Old
01-12-2006, 11:33 PM
mschmidt64

Its gotta be one of the players who brought the Cup.

That means Messier, Richter, or Leetch.

I'm taking Richter.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:40 PM
natureboy*

I'm glad gartner's name was recognized. I really feel bad that he was traded and did not get to enjoy the cup. I still think we win if gartners here instead of anderson. Gartner was a great ranger and does not get the respect that he deserves.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Nemchinov13

Guess who is the only ******* to have voted for Nemchinov By the way, GarrettJoseph, thanks for putting Nemchinov into your poll.

On a more serious note, No Captain, No Cup. Granted that Leetch has been one of the best defensemen of the 90s and Ricky was the forcefield for us, but still, no Mess - no Cup.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:59 PM
ArtVandelay

To me, it's so close between Leetch and Messier that I needed something to distinguish them. For me it's this...Leetch was great for the Rangers throughout the decade. Messier, while great and an amazing clutch player and leader was here for while, then gone, then back again. So, since Leetch was great for more years with the team, I voted for him.

Old
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
ArtVandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13
On a more serious note, No Captain, No Cup. Granted that Leetch has been one of the best defensemen of the 90s and Ricky was the forcefield for us, but still, no Mess - no Cup.
No Leetch no Cup either. No Richter no Cup. they were each extremely important ingredients. One's the water, one's the chicken, one's the veggies. Take any of them out, and it just isn't soup.

Old
01-13-2006, 06:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Leetch.

01-13-2006, 06:59 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Leetch.
Yep.

Old
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Edge

I gotta say Messier because others were key to the success of the cup, but none of them hit that level without Messier.

Before Mess, leetch would let himself go during the offseasons and defense and total commitment was at the level we came to know from him.

Before Mess, Graves was a grinding checking center.

Before Mess, Richter was a goalie who wasn't quite the all world player we know him to be.

The big thing for me was that Messier helped make a lot of those players on that list a lot better than they were. He made them better players, better leaders and better winners.

It's very easy to forget nearly 15 years later that Messier took a bunch of guys with great talent and helped turn them into superstars.

Without Messier, Leetch goes to the Blackhawks in 1994.

Without Messier, Graves has some good seasons and then moves on.

Messier was more than just his accomplishments, it was what he helped others to become.

I think Messier would've been the hardest part of that 1994 equation to replace.

Old
01-13-2006, 07:29 PM
ArtVandelay

On Messier's impact on Leetch. I wouldn't discount Keenan's effect there either. As much as a lot of guys hated him, Leetch actually did learn quite a bit and had a great attitude about it and he became a better all-around defenseman.

Similar with Richter. Richter took Keenan's crap in stride and became better because of it.

Graves already had goal-scoring ability, it just took putting him on a line with some great playmakers to bring out his best.

I'm not saying Messier didn't have a role in the above. In fact, if anything, his presence helped make these guys get through the Keenan year without suffering heart-attacks and was, therefore, a key ingredient in the Cup win.

Hmm...can I change my vote?

Old
01-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
On Messier's impact on Leetch. I wouldn't discount Keenan's effect there either. As much as a lot of guys hated him, Leetch actually did learn quite a bit and had a great attitude about it and he became a better all-around defenseman.

Similar with Richter. Richter took Keenan's crap in stride and became better because of it.

Graves already had goal-scoring ability, it just took putting him on a line with some great playmakers to bring out his best.

I'm not saying Messier didn't have a role in the above. In fact, if anything, his presence helped make these guys get through the Keenan year without suffering heart-attacks and was, therefore, a key ingredient in the Cup win.

Hmm...can I change my vote?
No doubt. What you said was a large part of my thought process. Messier helped make sure Keenan didn't trade those guys and at the same time make sure that those guys got the most of learning from Keenan instead of giving up.

No player exists in a vacuum but so many of those guys careers were directly and forever affected by Messier.

You have to take into consideration his impact on players who weren't part of the cup win but who impacted the sport. Guys like Amonte, Domi, King, Weight.

Part of what gets lost out there on younger fans was what the atmosphere was before the cup win. Every loss, every year, every doubt, Messier took the brunt of that (with no disrespect to the others) and he was the one who had to play ambassador to the situation. It's more than just the points on the ice, it's ripple effects that he had on the SPORT in New York City. The man put hockey back on the map in NYC.

I don't think anyone else could have done that. Guys like Leetch and Richter would have been good or even great players, but the level of legend they hit was a direct result of Messier IMO.

Old
01-14-2006, 07:36 AM
JerseyRangers

Looking at those names reminds me of how many great players wore the Rangers uniform in the 90's. Atleast 4 or 5 HOF'ers on that list. Voted for Messier. Like they said last night he managed to lift up the whole organization and get the monkey off our back. Maybe we coulda won the cup with a very good defensmen not named Leetch or a very good goalie not named Richter. However, even if you had replaced Mess with another player of equal talent that year we probably would not have won the cup. It is the intagibles that he brought even more so than the talent and skill (which was incredible). Without his leadership we aren't talking about 94. For that he has to be the Player of the Decade for the Rangers.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:42 AM
polako

i took kovalev for this reason: he was reflective of the rangers of the 90's. Successful in the beginning...but capable of much, much more.

Old
01-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Edge

I guess for me it comes down to this:

For as good as Leetch and Ricther were, they hit the highest level because of Messier's arrival.

Outside of his own play, he instantly made everyone else around him so much better.

I think the talent was in place, but Messier provided the focus and his presence also took the pressure off the other guys.

I just don't think Leetch or Ricther become Ranger legends without Messier.

Old
01-15-2006, 05:46 PM
GarretJoseph*

Who took Kocur? lol

Closed Thread