HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Next Number Retired? 9 Adam Graves?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 01:56 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Rangers Next Number Retired? 9 Adam Graves?

I wonder if and when the Rangers will retire his number? He has been out of the league for a while now and was one of the best leaders for the Rangers.

Last edited by Draft Guru: 01-13-2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old
01-13-2006, 01:56 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I doubt it. But they should.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Choice

I dont think they will either. I went to Richter night, not Messier. But of all Rangers, I think Adam Graves night would be the best.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:04 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
I dont think they will either. I went to Richter night, not Messier. But of all Rangers, I think Adam Graves night would be the best.
why do people think they wont retire it??? He is the all time goal scorer in a season for the Rangers and won a cup.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:04 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Leetchie's gonna get it whenever he stops playing. That's gonna be great.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:07 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule
Leetchie's gonna get it whenever he stops playing. That's gonna be great.

id sign him for a year so he can retire as a ranger as well Poti wont be here , so Leetch Staal aint that bad for our future.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
why do people think they wont retire it??? He is the all time goal scorer in a season for the Rangers and won a cup.
Jagr could beat it

Old
01-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Bure did wear number 9 when he was here. I'd like to see them retire Graves' number as I think he did more off the ice for this team than anyone in Rangers history. Graves was a true fan favorite. I just hope Bure wearing the number isn't any indication of their intentions.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:18 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
I think Gravey should get his number retired but I dont' think it will happen. No disrespect to any other Ranger (namely Mikey, Mess, or Leetch) but I think Graves was the most dedicated, he was constantly out in the public (and I heard about it and the closest I've lived to NYC is Florida). The guy poored his heart out to the team and city and fully deserves it, plus he wasn't a horrible player, I mean he was a bit better than Kamenski .

Seriously though who ultimately decides this? Dolan? The current GM/Coach and Dolan or what?

Graves was one of the most classiest players in the NHL EVER.....I'd be just as happy if they retired his number in Edmonton as I would if they did in NY....He was an integral part of the "kid" line......

I remember seriously shedding a tear when I heard he had been traded even though I knew it was something that had to be done.

I know most of you aren't from Florida but it almost reminds me of the whole Andrechuck thing this year...maybe he should have hung them up a year in advance but the competitive nature just compells them.

Old
01-13-2006, 06:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Graves is a wonderful person but he should not have #9 retired

Old
01-13-2006, 07:10 AM
RangersFan88*

2 people have to be on that roof

2# leetch and 9# graves

Old
01-13-2006, 07:30 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Adam Graves transcends the sport

If ever there was a person deserving to have his # retired it is Adam Graves. What I think people fail to realize if that his career was cut short because he took such a pounding in front of the net. He was a great teammate. He stood up for for his teammates, he worked hard every single night. If Messier was the soul of the NYRs Adam Graves was the heart. He was every bit as important as Messier, Leetch and Richter. Each contributed in their own way with their talents. What Graves did off the ice has to also be considered. Messier has gotten the lion's share of the press with his activities, but Graves I think reached more people. #9 belongs up in the rafters. They should also do it because another great Ranger, Andy Bathgate, who toiled in the obscurity of playing on some really bad teams that would make the 98-03 teams look like cup contenders also wore #9. Bathgate was arguably the greatest Ranger of All Time.

Old
01-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
leetch will get it, graves imo not!
Leetch was captain, 1000 plus points, several league trophies - he is a shoe in.

Rangers are very tight on the distribution of such accolades.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:16 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Because they let Bure where number 9 after graves left the Rangers.

Leetch will be the last for a while

Old
01-13-2006, 11:25 AM
charliemurphy

#2.
And I sure wouldn't mind seeing him retire as a Ranger either. Perhaps passing the torch to Staal next season, lol. If there is one veteran D'man that deserves to be a Ranger it's #2.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
#2.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:32 AM
otto1219

i think jd will be retired too, they've done announcers before this guy has lived rangers hockey since the last 15+ years

Old
01-13-2006, 11:38 AM
puck57

Am I the only one who thinks #99 should be raised in New York? Is Gretz not respected or liked for his play with the Rangers? It seems in some ways Gretz was not really appreciated for his time in NYC. I realize it was the end of his career but I think it would be a classy move to have his banner up there. It ain't his fault Smith did not get some better talent around him his last year or so is the way I look at it. On well, just one lone vote for #99.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Pretty much what's been said:

I'd like to see Graves # retired, but I doubt.

He was a very good Ranger, but the team has been stingy with numbers in the past. I don't think some of the younger fans realize that in the last 2-3 years they've seen as many number's retired as the previous 70 years of the team.

Unfortunatly Graves just doesn't hit that HOF level that the other numbers hanging do.

If you do Graves than you have to consider guys like Gresch, Ratelle, Hadfield (who held the goal record for 20 some odd years and was a heart and soul guy, and wore #11), Maloney and even Beezer.

I think when the Rangers do it, it is a truly special occassion. Sometimes when you retire a lot of numbers, it almost loses it's appeal.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
HF_Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
i think jd will be retired too, they've done announcers before this guy has lived rangers hockey since the last 15+ years
Retire #00 for JD, lol... but MSG only reserves spots for worthwhile banners (though the Holzman 619 banner for the Knicks looks very out of place).

Old
01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck57
Am I the only one who thinks #99 should be raised in New York? Is Gretz not respected or liked for his play with the Rangers? It seems in some ways Gretz was not really appreciated for his time in NYC. I realize it was the end of his career but I think it would be a classy move to have his banner up there. It ain't his fault Smith did not get some better talent around him his last year or so is the way I look at it. On well, just one lone vote for #99.
He was only here for three years, and no hardware was brought in durring that time. You retire a guys number because that player (and consequently his number) were a special part of your organization's history, and because he was a great player. Nothing about Gretzky's time here was particuarly memorable (except for his last game, and that was because it's was Gretzky's last game, not his last game as a Ranger.)

I'm also in the minority that doesn't want Graves' number retired. The guy was a good player and a great ranger, but he doesn't belong with the rest of the guys up there (Messier, Richter, Giacomin, Gilbert, and eventually Leetch.) He was tough and he was a great teamate, but he never cracked 80 points and he only broke 70 once. Yes, he had the 52 goal season but that was the only time he ever scored over 40. Was he a great Ranger? Yes. But he's not the kinda of guy that you raise to the rafters.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:13 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Pretty much what's been said:
If you do Graves than you have to consider guys like Gresch, Ratelle, Hadfield (who held the goal record for 20 some odd years and was a heart and soul guy, and wore #11), Maloney and even Beezer.

I think when the Rangers do it, it is a truly special occassion. Sometimes when you retire a lot of numbers, it almost loses it's appeal.
I think this is about how I feel about it, and I love Graves a bunch as a man and really respect his on-ice accomplishments almost as much. Maybe a bronze in the lobby instead, out with the people he's been so good to. The retiring of numbers has to be terribly selective (and based on performance over a long time)... I found myself explaining to my 11-year-old daughter last night that if we retired the number of every Ranger that has been huge in franchise history, they'd all have to be wearing 3-digit numbers now (unless they'd be up for a hexadecimal approach. But I digress.) Although I think Beezer's a stretch; Rayner first, maybe?

Leetch should go up, and in the aftermath of last night's sentiment and his remarkably sensitive and eloquent speech, I think he should have it done the first game after his NEXT Ranger tour of duty ends.

All this being said, if it happens with #9, great for him. I'd have a tough time criticizing anyone for honoring Adam.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackNeilSmith
All this being said, if it happens with #9, great for him. I'd have a tough time criticizing anyone for honoring Adam.
And I think that's really what it comes down to for me. I'd be happy if they did (who wouldn't for Gravey) but it's not a slam dunk decision.

The Yankees are a team that has some legit numbers to retire, but it's getting to the point where all you see is weird numbers out there. And you have to figure that out of the current team, Jeter and Rivera are going to keep their numbers, Williams is highly likely and if this actually wins some championships and A-Rod keeps chugging away, he might be there as well.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
He was only here for three years, and no hardware was brought in durring that time. You retire a guys number because that player (and consequently his number) were a special part of your organization's history, and because he was a great player. Nothing about Gretzky's time here was particuarly memorable (except for his last game, and that was because it's was Gretzky's last game, not his last game as a Ranger.)

I'm also in the minority that doesn't want Graves' number retired. The guy was a good player and a great ranger, but he doesn't belong with the rest of the guys up there (Messier, Richter, Giacomin, Gilbert, and eventually Leetch.) He was tough and he was a great teamate, but he never cracked 80 points and he only broke 70 once. Yes, he had the 52 goal season but that was the only time he ever scored over 40. Was he a great Ranger? Yes. But he's not the kinda of guy that you raise to the rafters.
i'm pretty sure no one can wear 99 anymore..

Old
01-13-2006, 12:37 PM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersin06
i'm pretty sure no one can wear 99 anymore..
#99 was retired by the NHL.

Closed Thread