HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Next Number Retired? 9 Adam Graves?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 12:39 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersin06
i'm pretty sure no one can wear 99 anymore..

Your right, but that's a league wide thing, not anything specific to the Rangers. If you raise 99 to the rafters then you making a statement: This player holds an extreemly important place in Ranger history. Is there anyone here that really thinks that about Gretzky?

Old
01-13-2006, 02:54 PM
in the hall

i really think they are waiting for leetch to retire and go up then gravey will be taken care of, at least i hope

he is as loved by ranger fans as all the others and as deserved

Old
01-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
#23 for Jeff Beukeboom

coolest name ever

Old
01-13-2006, 03:39 PM
True Blue

Can't retire Graves's #9 until Bathgate's # 9 is retired.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:13 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

OK, here's a dopey thought, but I'm feeling kinda careless today....

IS THERE any precedent in pro team sports for retiring a number on behalf of multiple receipients? In a way, I guess it could be taken as a slight by both parties... but I know Graves would feel honored and the Bathgate point is well-taken... shame to honor no one because you can't honor anyone....

Old
01-13-2006, 04:23 PM
True Blue

[QUOTE=BringBackNeilSmithIS THERE any precedent in pro team sports for retiring a number on behalf of multiple receipients? In a way, I guess it could be taken as a slight by both parties... but I know Graves would feel honored and the Bathgate point is well-taken... shame to honor no one because you can't honor anyone....[/QUOTE]
I do not see why it should be a problem. A player does not need to be an all-time great to have his number retired. Graves may not have been a great player, but he is a great Ranger. So, I say hoist 'em up. Retire it for both Bathgate and Graves. And then retire Ratelle's # as well.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:44 PM
boredmale

the next Ranger's number that should be retired is Brian Leetch, take that for what it's worth.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Skroob*

Perhaps they can "honor" grave's #9, and not retire it. Kind of like they do in Toronto, IIRC.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
nyray

Still do not understand why Bathgate #9 was never retired years ago...he was good enough to make the Hall of Fame and played over 11 seasons on Broadway

Old
01-13-2006, 05:01 PM
DutchShamrock

When Bure became a Ranger, his #10 was taken by the ever worthy *cough* McCarthy. Bure wanted to wear #9 to honor the original Rocket, Maurice Richard. He phoned Graves in San Jose to ask permission to wear it.

I don't think any one will ever wear it for the Rangers and I think it would be a great message should the originization choose to retire it. Why not reward and value hard work, charity, heart and performance?

Old
01-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Kluivert4Ever

To me, there is no doubt that Adam Graves deserves to have his number retired.
If one looks at what he did on the ice, I would say that its a borderline call and even though he was an amazing talent, his on-ice performance would probably not be sufficent to have his number retired.
Having a number retired is however based on what you do on the ice, but I think sometimes one has to make an exception when the person in question has shown has much off the ice as Adam Graves has, is it enough for him to have his number in the rafters? I say yes, Adam was not just a good person of the ice, he was probably one of if not the best one of all-time, and that to go along with his talents deserves a retirement of the number 9. Because sometimes this this kind of off-ice commitment has to be recognized in the most recoqnizable of forms, and I will be very sad if we dont retire his number because no one cared more about this city and our teams than Adam Graves and for that he should always be remembered.

Old
01-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Gamma82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackNeilSmith
IS THERE any precedent in pro team sports for retiring a number on behalf of multiple receipients? In a way, I guess it could be taken as a slight by both parties... but I know Graves would feel honored and the Bathgate point is well-taken... shame to honor no one because you can't honor anyone....
There is the precedent for this in NY with the Yankees and #8 for Yogi and Bill Dickey.

Old
01-13-2006, 06:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
Your right, but that's a league wide thing, not anything specific to the Rangers. If you raise 99 to the rafters then you making a statement: This player holds an extreemly important place in Ranger history. Is there anyone here that really thinks that about Gretzky?

Gretzky was decent here. But there are a lot of players who did more than Gretz but didn't get their numbers retired.

01-13-2006, 06:59 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Leetch

Old
01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
SML

Some numbers don't really need to be retired. 99 was retired by the league, but it really didn't need to be, because nobody else ever wore it. I don't think Graves' #9 will be retired. He's a great guy, don't get me wrong, but he really only had that one great season. I don't think teams are in the business of retiring numbers for things guys do off the ice. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's gonna happen. It would be extremely foolish for a new player to come in here and wear that number. Graves is a very humble guy and i don't think he would ever object to a guy wearing his number. The fact that he has been brought back to the organization in some capacity is a great thing. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him move into a JD like role if and when the big guy packs it in.

Old
01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
why do people think they wont retire it??? He is the all time goal scorer in a season for the Rangers and won a cup.
I'm not saying they won, but looking at only 4 numbers retired in history, you've got 3 HoFers ... and Richter, who is a borderline HoFer. Leetch will obviously be retired and he's also a lock HoFer.

Graves was a good player, and a great guy that won a Cup.

Old
01-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'm not saying they won, but looking at only 4 numbers retired in history, you've got 3 HoFers ... and Richter, who is a borderline HoFer. Leetch will obviously be retired and he's also a lock HoFer.

He was more than a great guy IMO, that is why he deserves to be up there.

Old
01-13-2006, 07:54 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Richter is a 1st ballot HoFer. Best US goaltender ever and that isn't homer talk. That being said, Hall of Fame isn't a prerequisite for having your jersey retired. I think it's been stated pretty clearly that it was his intangibles and contributions to the city of NY that makes him deserving.

Old
01-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Servo

I wonder if Gravey even wants his number retired. He strikes me as the type that would rather watch a kid wear it and make it his own, like Harry Carson asking Reggie Torbor to wear his number 53 this past offseason.

Old
01-13-2006, 09:19 PM
ArtVandelay

Graves was a great Ranger in that he was a great person and community presence and that can't be discounted. His hockey years here were mostly very good except for the 52 goals in 93-94 which was amazing. But one season doesn't make a career. I said this in another thread, but it's on topic here too. Historically, the Rangers have been extremely selective about retiring numbers as evidenced by not retiring Bathgate's #9. I like it that way as the honor becomes so much more meaningful. While on-ice performance isn't always the only criterion for retiring a number, it usually plays a big role. Graves is just not in the same category as Richter, Leetch, and Messier. Those guys are arguably all HOFers, were the 3 most crucial players in the 94 Cup run, and were active in the NYC community. Therefore, their numbers totally deserve retirement even in a highly selective organization and, to me, Graves comes up short. Compared to those 3, coming up short isn't a bad thing..

Old
01-13-2006, 09:42 PM
shoothepuck

NY is not going to retire #'s in bunches. #35, #11, possibly #2 soon, but I don't think #9 gets it. Bathgate didn't, and he had more than the 1 great season Graves did.

Old
01-13-2006, 09:54 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Graves will always be remembered as an intimidator and tough guy who could play and skate. He won't be retired even though I'd love to see it

Old
01-13-2006, 10:15 PM
puck57

Quote:
He was only here for three years, and no hardware was brought in durring that time. You retire a guys number because that player (and consequently his number) were a special part of your organization's history, and because he was a great player. Nothing about Gretzky's time here was particuarly memorable (except for his last game, and that was because it's was Gretzky's last game, not his last game as a Ranger.)

I'm also in the minority that doesn't want Graves' number retired. The guy was a good player and a great ranger, but he doesn't belong with the rest of the guys up there (Messier, Richter, Giacomin, Gilbert, and eventually Leetch.) He was tough and he was a great teamate, but he never cracked 80 points and he only broke 70 once. Yes, he had the 52 goal season but that was the only time he ever scored over 40. Was he a great Ranger? Yes. But he's not the kinda of guy that you raise to the rafters.
Hum- I let me get this straight- Gretz retired as a Ranger and was the greatest player ever to lace up hockey skates in the NHL- but because he did not win a cup here and the time was not particularily "memorable" than he sweater should not be raised. Too bad he was not appreciated more in his short time there is all I can say.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:24 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck57
Hum- I let me get this straight- Gretz retired as a Ranger and was the greatest player ever to lace up hockey skates in the NHL- but because he did not win a cup here and the time was not particularily "memorable" than he sweater should not be raised. Too bad he was not appreciated more in his short time there is all I can say.
Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. Do you understand why teams retire numbers? Retiring a number is somthing that you researve for a player who was important to the franchise over a long period of time. It's about honoring players that have been big part the team's hisory. It's not about retiring the numbers of great players that had the vast majority of they're success with other teams. By your logic the Mets should have retired Willy May's number too.

Yes, he was the greatest player to lace up skates in the NHL, that's what the Hall of Fame is for. He played 3 years as a Ranger, and the fact that he retired on broadway meens nothing. Nobody will ever think of Gretzky as a Ranger, nor would they have reason too. Gretz was here for 3 years when the team was mediocre, he's a footnote in Ranger history.

Last edited by xander: 01-13-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old
01-13-2006, 10:37 PM
puck57

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. Do you understand why teams retire numbers? Retiring a number is somthing that you researve for a player who was important to the franchise over a long period of time. It's about honoring players that have been big part the team's hisory. It's not about retiring the numbers of great players that had the vast majority of they're success with other teams. By your logic the Mets should have retired Willy May's number too.

Yes, he was the greatest player to lace up skates in the NHL, that's what the Hall of Fame is for. He played 3 years as a Ranger, and the fact that he retired on broadway meens nothing. Nobody will ever think of Gretzky as a Ranger, nor would they have reason too. Gretz was here for 3 years when the team was mediocre, he's a footnote in Ranger history.
Unbelievable is my only response.

Closed Thread