HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

do teams value a "C" or an "A" the way they should?

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 04:51 PM
imagine29028

vCash: 500
do teams value a "C" or an "A" the way they should?

granted, I am no Hockey expert like many people on this board, so in some people's eyes I look stupid probably.

but I was just watching NHL2Night on ESPN2...and they had a question on whether or not the Caps, should give Jagr the "C" based on the mere notion that he makes 11 million.

now if I got it correct, isn't the "C" or "A" not something, you just throw around...but something that you should cherish and care about? Aren't they supposed to be for team leaders who do stuff on and off the ice?

What is with the trend of just arbitrally giving out Captain duties to the best player on the team?

Old
10-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Well, they were talking about putting pressure on Jagr. And if wearing the C would put pressure on you, that obviously shows that it means something. Some teams, some players, it might not mean as much but it certainly still means something.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

As a whole it's an interesting argument
I know looking at Bruins posts today before the Ducks game, I was surprised how many thought Thornton wasn't good captain material.

I think the Ducks choice was a good one in Steve Rucchin, and I think the Cats choice in Olli Jokinen was probably a good representation of their locker room. Modano, Yzerman, Sakic etc are all great choices.

Are then any players who you don't think should be captain?

Old
10-19-2003, 06:33 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
I guess it depends on what teams value the "C" for. Some teams figure it should be the best player because he leads on the ice. Others believe it should be the locker room guy, not necessarily the scoring leader. Then there are the teams who rotate the captaincy every week/month.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:34 PM
King of Kelvington

IMO the captain should be the guy you would trade last....hes just that valuable.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel Clark Jr.
IMO the captain should be the guy you would trade last....hes just that valuable.
Or be able to trade last. Then it would definetely be Jagr, lol.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
For the Penguins I honestly have no clue.

In the 90s our captains were Lemieux(good), Francis(great), and Jagr(leadership of a Q-Tip)...

As far as the current Penguins go though...they did it right.

Captain: Mario Lemieux- at this point in his career he's one of the best leaders in the game, obvious choice for us.
Alternate: Kelly Buchberger- has captained two teams in his career.
Alternate: Martin Straka- If he's not traded he's being groomed as our captain after Lemieux is gone.
Alternate: Marc Bergevin- Off-ice leader. He gets the A when one of the above three aren't playing.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:43 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine29028
What is with the trend of just arbitrally giving out Captain duties to the best player on the team?
Well, at times the Oilers have gone the opposite route- putting the C on guys like Jason Smith (currently), Kelly Buchberger, or (way back...) Lee Fogolin.

The theory is nice- you want a guy with experience and work ethic to lead by example... but I think at times you want somebody who can go out and *do* something that will turn the game around.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
I dont like what Minnesota does with their captincy. Didnt Johnson wear it last year???? yeesh!

I love Joe Sakic he's my favorite forward all time and I know he's gonna be the captin forever, but IMO Adam Foote should wear the C for the Avs. I also think goalies should be able to wear the C but then theyd have to be on the ice the whole time.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:00 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Well, they were talking about putting pressure on Jagr. And if wearing the C would put pressure on you, that obviously shows that it means something. Some teams, some players, it might not mean as much but it certainly still means something.
Exactly. Thats the only reason to put it on jagr. The real Caps leader cant wear the C (Kolzig) so they might as well get something out of it y giving it to Jagr. The only thing is Kono is really liked by the otehr players on the team (cant say the same for jagr unfortunately) and I dont think they would be happy if he lost the C like that or if he was traded, I just dont see how they take it away from him.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:13 PM
tigger

Quote:
Or if you're the Thrashers, the guy you'd trade first, cause you'd get the most value out of him.

Old
10-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
It's pretty hard as an outsider to know how the inside of a dressing room works. I think players are pretty good at figuring out who is the leader or not, no matter who has the C.

I don't think it would be a catastrophe by default if Jagr was made captain, as long as there is other leadership in the room. He doesn't seem like an ideal captain from an outsiders position. A wee bit moody.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:57 AM
imagine29028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
Exactly. Thats the only reason to put it on jagr. The real Caps leader cant wear the C (Kolzig) so they might as well get something out of it y giving it to Jagr. The only thing is Kono is really liked by the otehr players on the team (cant say the same for jagr unfortunately) and I dont think they would be happy if he lost the C like that or if he was traded, I just dont see how they take it away from him.

but if I am Konowalchuk, I am pissed that I lose whatever recognition and respect within the team, for a guy who is wearing it ONLY on the basis of money. Granted Jagr is by far the most talented player on the team....but that also allows him other privlages that other players don't have the luxury of having.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:18 AM
LaVal

Quote:
that doesn't make any sense. sometimes your most valuable player has no leadership ability whatsoever (e.g. Gaborik if he was signed), or is not ready to take the leadership role (e.g. Heatley if he was playing).

your biggest leader isn't always your best player.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:55 AM
imagine29028

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
that doesn't make any sense. sometimes your most valuable player has no leadership ability whatsoever (e.g. Gaborik if he was signed), or is not ready to take the leadership role (e.g. Heatley if he was playing).

I agree fully

Old
10-20-2003, 07:33 AM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575

I didnt say anything about being a leader, best player either....read it again.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Missionhockey

Well for the Devils the choice is obvious but after he retires the choice becomes a little blury. Niedermayer is the standout choice but I read somewhere that on nights he doesn't always show up against lesser teams. I wouldn't want to give the C to somebody like that. My choice would be Madden I guess but they haven't given him an A yet.

Closed Thread