HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

GDT: Colorado Avalanche @ Philadelphia Flyers, Jan 14th, 2:00pm, NBC

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Art Vandelay

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender

That is specifically for a guy named BROAD ST. something or other who felt it necessary to come over and taunt us on our board.
Good way to show that you're the better? man?

Old
01-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
i wish i could have watched a competitive and exciting overtime instead of the referee bowl. rachje QUESTIONABLY held sakic. looked more like his stick was held imo.

just sad to see games taken over like that by the officials
I see. So you can 'hold a little bit now' ? Is that how it goes in the Eastern Conference ?? You can only 'barely hook' somebody ?

The officiating was crappy on both sides. Two penalties on Gagne in the 3rd were questionable. When a player dives out and gets the puck FIRST and then the player trips...it's NOT a penalty.

Old
01-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
That was a nice dive by Sakic there at the end.
Lol...yeah right.

Old
01-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab79
The second penalty was to Hatcher and nobody should argue the fact that it WAS a penalty. No bs, not questionable, but a clear penalty. He was out of gas and hooked this hell outa Sakic. I still dont understand what Johnson was thinking.

You are obviously watching the wrong game. It was to Mike and it was not hooking. Hatcher was out of gas....because he was stopping the 5-3, which shows he was not in the box. Sakic tried to spin, fell down and Mike's stick was near him and they call him for Hooking. Just garbage.

Old
01-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Ok, an OT loss stings a bit but we were 2:30 from 0 points, so it's not such a bad deal.

Fire Hitchcock?????

He has coached the most (or atleast top-3) injury plagued team to 1st in the Division, 1st in the Conference, 2nd in the League.

Old
01-14-2006, 03:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk
They are making a ton of money on Disney on Ice too. As much as it's a pain in the *** for the Flyers/Sixers, it's part of the territory for having a large newish arena. Every city has these long breaks, for something or other, the Flyers just got it worse this year because the season is cramped due to the Olympic break.

The Wachovia Center is open 12 months a year. Surely they can find a better time...like July

Old
01-14-2006, 03:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
Therien has never even done that !!

Yes he has

Old
01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
The Wachovia Center is open 12 months a year. Surely they can find a better time...like July
everyone's on vacation, playing baseball, soccer, etc.

plus people buy tix for holidays and whatnot. is what it is.

i actually don't mind it. get to do a nice long road trip in the middle of the season that usually keeps us away from having something like that in the beginning and end of the season.

Old
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North
Good way to show that you're the better? man?
yea really, lol, he criticizes a Flyers fan for taunting them and then he turns around and does the same thing. real smart and real mature.

Old
01-14-2006, 04:01 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North
Ok, an OT loss stings a bit but we were 2:30 from 0 points, so it's not such a bad deal.

Fire Hitchcock?????

He has coached the most (or atleast top-3) injury plagued team to 1st in the Division, 1st in the Conference, 2nd in the League.
Ok, I said that because I was pissed but he needs to realize who his best players are. However, don't give him too much credit for the Flyers being first in the division. Even with their current injuries, they are still clearly the most talented team in the division. Bye the way thanks for reminding me how bad it looked a little while ago, I guess I'm just getting spoiled.

Old
01-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Thanks for this great game!

GO GO!

Old
01-14-2006, 04:08 PM
FlyerFanLWB

the last 3 quality teams philly has faced resulted in a loss... NJ,detroit,col... we need some more bad-average teams to win some games... pitkanen and desjardins are needed bad

Old
01-14-2006, 04:09 PM
GilbertDionneWasBad*

Hitchcock is the best coach this team has had since Fred Shero.... Tom Hicks knows he made a mistake letting him go; if the Flyers fired him he'd have another NHL coaching job about 2 seconds later.

That call on Sakic was bogus, but whatever, 1 point is nice considering how dire the situation was with just 3 minutes left. Johnsson made a stupid play at the end, too.

Old
01-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Matti_A

Wow, I watched this game with my dad and when there was a little more than two minutes left of the game and the Avs were ahead 3-1 I said to him that now is the time for Forsberg to show me why he's the best player in the world (since imo he had played a sub-par game up until then).
And boy did he deliver , talk about a clutch-performer!
A game tying goal and an assist to force the game into overtime. IMO that is what distinguishes great players from mere mortals.
Unfortunatley they lost the game thanks to Johnson and the ref's

Old
01-14-2006, 04:38 PM
SChan*

I wouldn't worry about colorado. They have no chance on the cup this year while Flyers certainly has a great shot

Old
01-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectionX
I wouldn't worry about colorado. They have no chance on the cup this year while Flyers certainly has a great shot
We'll see.

Old
01-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
The officiating was crappy on both sides. Two penalties on Gagne in the 3rd were questionable. When a player dives out and gets the puck FIRST and then the player trips...it's NOT a penalty.
No, this was one of those games where one team got a vast majority of the breaks. I do not believe in a conspiracy. Sometimes the breaks all go one way.

The Av's 1st goal was on a PP that only existed because of a Phantom hooking call on Handzus. Handzus' stick never made contact with any part of Sakic's body. It was 100% stick on stick. And that they called it while we were already shorthanded is a double slap in the face.

Your second goal was the result of the Av's getting away with a blatent trip.

Stevenson got a penalty for a shoulder on shoulder hit.

And OT was a disgrace by the refs.

Crap happens. Somedays they're even. Sometime the Flyers get the breaks. Today the refs were the single biggest factor in the outcome of the game and that's a shame.

Old
01-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
No, this was one of those games where one team got a vast majority of the breaks. I do not believe in a conspiracy. Sometimes the breaks all go one way.

The Av's 1st goal was on a PP that only existed because of a Phantom hooking call on Handzus. Handzus' stick never made contact with any part of Sakic's body. It was 100% stick on stick. And that they called it while we were already shorthanded is a double slap in the face.

Your second goal was the result of the Av's getting away with a blatent trip.

Stevenson got a penalty for a shoulder on shoulder hit.

And OT was a disgrace by the refs.

Crap happens. Somedays they're even. Sometime the Flyers get the breaks. Today the refs were the single biggest factor in the outcome of the game and that's a shame.
You got 6 power plays, and we got 8. Both of us cashed 2 of them. If you can score more on 5-5, you would have won.

Old
01-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules
You got 6 power plays, and we got 8. Both of us cashed 2 of them. If you can score more on 5-5, you would have won.

You got your 1st two goals as of the result of poor officiating. That's just how it is. You also got the W and two points. I don't care if the calls were 1 to 100 or 100 to 1. Bad calls that effect the outcome of the game sucks. Refs aren't perfect, and in the NHL far from it, and today they directly effected the outcome of the game.

Poor officiating lead directly to the Av's 2-0 and put the Flyers in a hole in OT. That's just how it was. You can tell me again me how many calls each team had. It doesn't change the fact that the refs made bad calls that ended up resulting in goals. Sure, Flyers could have overcome them. But they shouldn't have had to.

And like I said, it happens. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. And no matter how bad the calls were it won't change the W or the L.

Old
01-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Lupul*

This is what Hitch said after the game:

Quote:
“We made a hell of a comeback. We played a really good hockey game. The second penalty in the overtime was a dive. Everyone on the ice knew it, their bench knew it, our players knew it. It was a dive. That’s more of the issue. [Sakic] grabbed [Rathje's] stick, hooked it under his body and went down. It was a dive.”
Full quote here: http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...rt/default.asp

Old
01-14-2006, 06:35 PM
GrimZ

Blaming the refs

Old
01-14-2006, 06:57 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I was at the game and it was really something.

First off, you could tell that the team was just beat. GKJ has a good point about this Disney crap, I don't know if they ever really found their legs.

It was also interesting how they scored twice right after Stallone made his appearance (crowd went crazy for him as expected). The heart that the team showed to get back in the game was just outstanding, it was really a joy to watch. They really miss Pitkanen though, defense is just not up to scratch and Niittymaki played very well (again).

Okay, my main issue is officiating although it sounds annoying. The call on Handzus was BS, it was an excellent defensive play. Still though, a team like the Flyers should kill that penalty.

The Avalanche 2nd goal was just an embarrassment. A Flyer (I was at the other end I couldn't see who it was) was just blatantly tripped and this springs the Avs on the odd-man rush. Absolutely no call.

The one on KJ was just absolutely terrible. I didn't see a slash at all, he just cleared out the crease a bit. Considering that Knuble was also crosschecked down a couple times when he tried to stand in front, I was outraged. It was really just an embarrassment. Sakic definitely dived on the 2nd call, but even if he hadn't and it had been a penalty, I don't see how the officials could call it considering the ***** call they had made already. I'm not positive of this cause I was high up, but I think I caught Sakic giving a little shrug to a Flyer after the penalty had been called. Flyers spent the last 3:13 of the game on the PK which was just stupid considering that no real penalties were committed. It just leaves you with that empty feeling.

Still though, great to see Foppa score against his old mates and the crowd was good.

Old
01-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Nacho
Special

Nice with the one point, I thought the game was a goner after 3-1...

Old
01-14-2006, 07:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
everyone's on vacation, playing baseball, soccer, etc.

plus people buy tix for holidays and whatnot. is what it is.

i actually don't mind it. get to do a nice long road trip in the middle of the season that usually keeps us away from having something like that in the beginning and end of the season.

There is also a bunch of people not doing a whole lot....it was ok when the X-games were in town....

Old
01-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
full 2 minute 5 on 3...

why is Brashear on this team?!?!!?!?!?!?!?
Because when Brash wasn't on the ice there were certain individuals taking liberties at our players. Look back at the game against Minnesota and how Boogaard was running our players, Brashear pounded the crap out of the toughest rookie in the NHL and he was quiet the rest of the game. He may not fight much but I certainly believe that he's a deterrent. Trading Fedoruk could have been a huge mistake considering Eager, Gratton, and Grant will never be the quality enforcer this team needs. I've got to add that Brash shouldn't be on the ice nearly as much as he is.

I was disgusted to see Stevenson play while Eager sits out.

Closed Thread