Notices

Hal "The Thrill" Gill and Dave "The Skipper" Shea package deal

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 05:52 PM
hockeyfanKW

vCash: 500
Hal "The Thrill" Gill and Dave "The Skipper" Shea package deal

Is it possible that the bruins could package these 2 guys in a trade?

The Thrill was brutal again tonight. Are the B's just keeping him because he matches up well against Jagr? Peewee move backing in too far on the one goal, committed to the blueline and left Prospal (cheer up after scoring a goal Vinnie) open on another, countless whiffs of the puck (is he using a road hockey stick?)

I say trade him while he still has some value.

As for The Skipper ..... ah forget it.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:57 PM
sarge88

Shea is awful, but you seem to have missed the 2 or 3 great defensive plays that Gill made that saved goals. He is what he is, a stay at home defenseman. Every team has them, every team needs them, and I would surmise that 90% of the teams in the NHL today would substitute Gill for at least one player that is in their top 6 right now.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:17 PM
hockeyfanKW

I'm not looking for any offense from Gill, I'm looking for him to play solid defense. I know the difference between a defenseman who can play sound defense and one that struggles with the puck in is own zone, or zigs when he should zag. He's a step behind and can't handle anyone down low. He can't turn to the outside with speedy wingers. The perception was that he made 3 or 4 good defensive plays when really he was clawing to get back into position after putting himself out of position.

A fundamental error like backing in too deep happens way too much in his case. I think he's been pretty sound the past couple of years, but something is outta whack with him this year.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:29 PM
misterjaggers
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzo
Is it possible that the bruins could package these 2 guys in a trade?

The Thrill was brutal again tonight. Are the B's just keeping him because he matches up well against Jagr? Peewee move backing in too far on the one goal, committed to the blueline and left Prospal (cheer up after scoring a goal Vinnie) open on another, countless whiffs of the puck (is he using a road hockey stick?)

I say trade him while he still has some value.

As for The Skipper ..... ah forget it.
Why do you suppose Moran plays and Gill sits when Sully shortens the bench?

If we put Shea up on waivers, do you suppose the Johnstown Chiefs will claim him?

Old
10-19-2003, 08:40 PM
WickedBruinsGirl
I like the remix

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Why do you suppose Moran plays and Gill sits when Sully shortens the bench?

If we put Shea up on waivers, do you suppose the Johnstown Chiefs will claim him?
Good point. Gill played only 15:10 tonight, while Moran played 23:47. Was he missing from the bench at any point? Found additional info: during the Kings game, Gill played 12:50 and Moran played 22:50, so I guess I answered my own question.

I don't think Gill has done horribly this season. He's just about the same as he's always been. Still needs to hit, and has the long reach to knock pucks away. Maybe that is what Sully is trying to get across to him, be physical more and thou shall be rewarded with icetime.

Shea is bad. I can't believe how he can screw jersey #'s up. I think I remember him calling Jillson/Boynton, or vice versa, because 23 and 44 look so much alike. I know everyone makes mistakes on identifying players (I know I do sometimes), but doing it constantly...

Old
10-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
Gill has been brutal in every game I've seen this season.... Maybe we should package him and a pick/prospect for a real stay-at-home defenseman.... You know the type, the ones that actually play defense. It's an amazing concept, and Gill seems to have missed it. He's been decent in the past, but something has definitely changed this year. I agree with Gizzo, trade him while we still can.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:13 AM
HalsPal

Send a message via Yahoo to HalsPal
Come on now...

Let's leave Hal alone. His play has improved by leaps and bounds year after year. Up until this year, he averaged the most ice time out of any defenseman. He's never going to score 20 goals (as much as I keep betting that he will). But since I moved away from Boston, I got the Center Ice package on cable. All the other broadcasters for the other teams love him. In LA, they called him "imposing and intimidating."

The grass is always greener...

Old
10-20-2003, 09:52 AM
misterjaggers
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalsPal
Let's leave Hal alone. His play has improved by leaps and bounds year after year. Up until this year, he averaged the most ice time out of any defenseman. He's never going to score 20 goals (as much as I keep betting that he will). But since I moved away from Boston, I got the Center Ice package on cable. All the other broadcasters for the other teams love him. In LA, they called him "imposing and intimidating."

Gill has never averaged the most ice time of any Bruins defenseman, but when O'Donnell was hurt, Ftorek used him alot.

He's big, no doubt, and he's got a great reach, but he's too slow to deal with speedy forwards and his physical game comes and goes. Gill isn't Scott Stevens-intimidating by any measure...

I think Sully is using him appropriately. He's a capable fifth defenseman.
I wouldn't deal him. His 'A' game against big forwards is still quite useful.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:24 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalsPal

I have the same NHL Center Ice as you do, and he sucks on that as well.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Pielsman

Much as Joe and Muzz started out this year a bit slowly, I think Gill has also shown some rust/ poor play so far......but imo, he played a lot better against the Ducks. He'll come around defensively. -Piels

Old
10-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Bruins2020

I do know from some friends, that the book on Gill around the league is when he has the puck, immediately pressure him, because he is likely to cough it up under pressure. I am sure our coaches are telling him to immediately find somebody and give them the puck.

I am not a big fan of Gill and wouldn't mind a deal, but unfortunately, I don't think we'd get all that much unless some GM out there who is in love with him, which I doubt there are many of, it there are any at all.

I think we will just have to watch him play here until some of our kids develop, and once that occurs, we can afford to deal him for a prospect or two. I think we could have gotten more for him 2 years ago, but unfortunately in today's world, information gets around very quickly.

Injuries to other teams key defenseman would be our only hope to deal him for anything of significance...Maybe St. Louis or Detroit now, but if we can't get anything decent in return, keep him here. He does have some value to us.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Eat It

Gill has looked pretty bad this year. But I'd give him some time to get his game back before talking about shipping him out. He has shown flashes of being a solid presence on the ice in the past and I wouldn't sell him down the river just yet. So far this year, his game is out of joint but it seems as though the whole team is going through a similar process of finding their feet again. He has the tools he just has to figure out how to use them, I think we can get more out of him than we could for him.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:36 PM
sfbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielsman
Much as Joe and Muzz started out this year a bit slowly, I think Gill has also shown some rust/ poor play so far......but imo, he played a lot better against the Ducks. He'll come around defensively. -Piels
He did break up at least 2 scoring chances late in the Ducks game. Hal has always been and always will be WYSIWYG -- a 2nd or 3rd pair stay-at-homer who when he's on can be very irritating for big (read : not fast) forwards to play against.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:44 PM
bruinmanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat It
Gill has looked pretty bad this year. But I'd give him some time to get his game back before talking about shipping him out. He has shown flashes of being a solid presence on the ice in the past and I wouldn't sell him down the river just yet. So far this year, his game is out of joint but it seems as though the whole team is going through a similar process of finding their feet again. He has the tools he just has to figure out how to use them, I think we can get more out of him than we could for him.

I agree totally with this assessment regarding Gill.I have found Moran to be just as big a problem if not more so than Gill.
I'm not a huge Gill fan but IMO Moran is even more of a journeyman than Gill is.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:06 PM
MertWindu

vCash:
I'm just glad to have found some Bruins fans who don't love Gill the way everyone seems to. Granted, he's big, and more importantly for his style, long (the sweeping poke check, though Donny S. did it so much better, is really an underrated skill), and when he just sticks to the role of stay-at-home, I usually don't hate his play. But I think we've seen a lot in the last few years that he doesn't seem to understand his inability to handle the puck. It has nothing to do with size, there are big DMen in the NHL that can move the puck, and handle it in traffic. And it's not just speed. It's the combination of the two, with a lack of offensive talent thrown in. I'm not saying Hal can't score or anything, but he seems to get caught in the trap of playing more like Bourque, when in reality, I'd rather never see his name on the scoring list.
I think Hal just hasn't been the perfect stay-at-home, because too often he slips into a more offensive style, and it's never really worked for him. It could be that the leadership role we've read about him taking might be giving him some perspective and clarity on his defensive role. Then again, we're a handful of games in. As for Ian, I don't see how you can't like the guy, and let's remember that hockey is the only place where "journeyman" isn't an insult. Just my $.02

Closed Thread