Notices

NHL Pet Peeves?

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 06:55 PM
sarge88

vCash: 500
NHL Pet Peeves?

Obviously we're all fans or we wouldn't spend so much time here but over the weekend I got to thinking about things that really bother me about the NHL.

Here goes;

1. The fact that they allow referees to officiate games involving the same team two nights in a row. I am not talking about a home and home series but the situation this weekend where the same refs did the B's - LA game on Sat. and did the B's - Ducks game on Sun. - 2 reasons that I dislike this practice. First, the refs could be totally po'd at the team from the night before and have it affect their decisions --- or--- they could have seen on TV highlights that they blew a call and thereby let a few things slide. I'm not saying they would do this intentionally, but human nature is human nature.

2. Why can't certain teams like the Ducks and Wings find a helmet manufacturer that can actually match their helmets to their shirts?

3. The hurry up faceoff rule irks me because it makes NHL'ers look like high school players rushing to get to the faceoff circle because the beer league that comes on after them is guaranteed their 2 hours. Did any fan really have a problem with a game running 3 hours instead of the new and improved 2 hrs. and 47 minutes. Just another Bettman ploy to take the gamesmanship and intimidation out of the game.

4. (I vow to research this theory and any input as to the easiest way to gather these stats will be appreciated.) Here goes;

My theory is that despite the fact that the B's have been middle of the road to lower third in penalty minutes per game, over the past few years, they consistently get more penalties called on them than their opponent. Statistically, if true, this would be hard for the NHL to justify.

Not really a pet peeve until proven, but I decided to put it here until I do the math and not waste a new thread.

Any other pet peeves?

Old
10-19-2003, 08:32 PM
Gary

my NHL pet peeves 1. the instigator rule 2. goalies who play the puck SHOULD BE FAIR GAME...if they want to act like a defenseman, then they should be willing/able to pay the price. 3. i agree with don cherry that there should be automatic icing. the touchup icing makes for interesting races but eventually someone is going to get SERIOUSLY hurt slipping and falling into the boards the way they do sometimes. 4. 2-man referees. on one hand nothing is missed/on the other-you got two guys with different ideas of how to call a game and sometimes they try to 'out-ref' one another. one guy could use his judgement more consistently throughout an entire contest IMO. 5. JJ's haircut (as many informed and articulate posters would attest to)

Old
10-19-2003, 09:29 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

I agree with the hurry up faceoff rule. It irks me also. During the pre-season game against the Wings (I think) at the Fleetcenter, sometimes the whole lines weren't even there in time for the faceoffs! It might've been the Ranger game though. I remember the opposing team's center wasn't there, and Green was set for the faceoff and the linesman dropped the puck, which Green just batted down the ice (think it was on a PK). If that happened in a real game, that would just be unbelievable.

One other thing that irks me, and it seems to be NESN more than other NHL carriers and ESPN/2, and it actually relates to the hurry-up faceoff rule. The commercial timeouts that last longer, which in turn misses the faceoff! Even when showing replays, it seems it overlaps and ends up missing some action. The league needs to correct that pronto, or the networks. I think I'd rather see live action than replays.

I also agree with the refs doing two games in a row peeve. They're obviously going to be a little biased anyway, especially with the way the Kings game went.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Pielsman

. The hurry up faceoff rule irks me because it makes NHL'ers look like high school players rushing to get to the faceoff circle because the beer league that comes on after them is guaranteed their 2 hours. Did any fan really have a problem with a game running 3 hours instead of the new and improved 2 hrs. and 47 minutes. Just another Bettman ploy to take the gamesmanship and intimidation out of the game. -From Sarge
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually like the idea of the hurry up face off rule, but the 18 second time frame could be relaxed to more like 25 or 30 seconds, max- imo.

If you let the players take their time, then you can keep one line on the ice most of the night (because they WILL stall to catch thier breath).

I think the average NHL game is more like 2 hours and 15 minutes since they've changed the rule, but I dont know exactly. The last two Bruins games were obviously longer than usual due to all the penalties and fights.

I'd like to see more penalty shots called- a lot more, using the existing rules.

When a player appears to be tripped, its either dive or a trip- something needs to be called in most cases. I'd like to see more diving calls made too (do they still post the weekly NHL "divers" by name around the league ?).

And some consistency on the obstruction/ holding rule would be real nice too.

Finally, I'd like to see Terry Gregson retire. -Piels

Old
10-20-2003, 11:31 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88

4. (I vow to research this theory and any input as to the easiest way to gather these stats will be appreciated.) Here goes;

My theory is that despite the fact that the B's have been middle of the road to lower third in penalty minutes per game, over the past few years, they consistently get more penalties called on them than their opponent. Statistically, if true, this would be hard for the NHL to justify.

Not really a pet peeve until proven, but I decided to put it here until I do the math and not waste a new thread.

Any other pet peeves?
Boston Bruins

In 2002-03
Power Play Opportunities - 325
Times Short handed - 375

In 2001-02
Power Play Opportunities - 283
Times Short handed - 345

In 2000-01
Power Play Opportunities - 390
Times Short handed - 377

Old
10-20-2003, 06:49 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Boston Bruins

In 2002-03
Times Short handed - 375

In 2001-02
Times Short handed - 345

In 2000-01
Times Short handed - 377

Thanks for the stats but I also would like to see where they ranked in regard to the rest of the league. I would have no problem if they were shorthanded more than they had powerplays, if they were one of the most penalized teams in the league. But to average less pp's per game than your opponent, while being one of the least penalized teams in the league is puzzling. My theory is that the B's did average less powerplay time than their opponents while being among the least penalized teams. Can you post their ranking for each of those years? Thanks in advance.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:00 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Boston Bruins

In 2002-03
Times Short handed - 375

In 2001-02
Times Short handed - 345

In 2000-01
Times Short handed - 377

Just found some info myself. Hockeydb.com had pims for 00-01 and 01-02. In 00-01 there were 10 teams with more pims and in 01-02 there were only 3 teams with more pims, so my theory is debunked in those two years. I'll look later for the pims for 02-03.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:03 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88
Just found some info myself. Hockeydb.com had pims for 00-01 and 01-02. In 00-01 there were 10 teams with more pims and in 01-02 there were only 3 teams with more pims, so my theory is debunked in those two years. I'll look later for the pims for 02-03.

If you go to espn.com and check under special teams stats you can find some even better numbers.

PIM's don't tell the whole story, because the can be skewed by fighting majors and such. ESPN showsPP opportunites and such.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Black7And7Gold

I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with you about the hurry-up-line-change. I think the pace of the game is a lot quicker, and the game moves along smoother. There is a lot less yappy players like Chelios or Tucker squacking in the refs ears after every single whistle.

The only decent reason I have to not like the hurry-up-line-change is the time the TV announcers get to critique plays or to give instant-replays. Seems like you only get to see an instant-replay of a goal is during intermission now.

Closed Thread