HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Former NHL'er, UHL head coach Marc Potvin passed away

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 04:03 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

vCash: 500
Former NHL'er, UHL head coach Marc Potvin passed away

(AP) - Minor league hockey coach Marc Potvin, a former Detroit Red Wings player, was found dead in a hotel room Friday, hours before his team was to play. He was 38.

There was no evidence of foul play, said Lt. Michael Werkema of the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety. An autopsy was scheduled for Saturday.

The coach's body was discovered in the morning, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Potvin coached the Adirondack Frostbite of the United Hockey League. Friday night's game between the Frostbite and the Kalamazoo Wings was postponed.

"Marc was not only a respected coach in this league but also a great friend to us all,'' Richard Brosal, the UHL's president and chief executive officer, said in a statement issued by the league.

Potvin played in the NHL for nine seasons, with Detroit, Los Angeles, Hartford and Boston and was a member of the Kings' 1993 Stanley Cup runner-up team. The right wing's last NHL season was in 1995-96 with the Bruins. He also coached and played in the American Hockey League.

Potvin was in his second full season as coach of the Frostbite, a team based in Glens Falls, N.Y. He took over midway through the 2003-04 season.

The Red Wings selected him in the ninth round of the 1986 draft. Potvin played 121 games in the NHL but only 14 in his two seasons with the Red Wings. He played at Bowling Green State from 1986-90.

Potvin was born in Ottawa and lived in Glens Falls and in North Canton, Ohio, with his wife, Maria, and their two children.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:09 PM
revolverjgw

R.I.P, that's too young. I don't know much about him but I DO remember him from a 90-91 Upper Deck card I have, he was in a cool pose.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I remember Potvin from his stint with the Hartford Whalers and then also as the head coach with the Springfield Falcons (AHL). It is a sad story anytime someone leaves us at the age of 37. My thoughts are with his family.

RIP Marc Potvin. You will be missed.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 01-13-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old
01-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Higgy4

I watched him play quite a bit at Bowling Green and then, of course, with the Red Wings.

Very sad news.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Avery4Byng*

Wow, shocking.... RIP Marc.

Closed Thread