HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT - Ottawa at Edmonton - Jan. 14th, 10 pm ET (CBC)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Air

vCash: 500
Loved Heatley's backchecking, Alfie's hustle, the entire Fisher, Neil, Varada line, Redden's solid defensive play, Phillips' fearlessness in blocking shots ... wasn't so crazy about Heatley's bad luck. I don't think I've ever seen that happen -- his stick broke, part of it was in the goal and it looked like the puck had gone in, but it was just part of the broken stick. Smolinski has returned whatever hands he borrowed for that short stint where he could, you know, shoot reasonably accurately. Vermette had a great game.

This is the kind of game I was hoping for. Well, it's not going to help with our one-goal game statistics, but we really fought through it and with a lot of luck and persistence, I feel like we're at least on the right track in playing these types of games. I think the boys really listened to Hasek. (Even Alfie seems inspired by Hasek's competitive nature ...)

Our power-play is a cause for concern. That was just a brutal 5 on 3. I think we've given up the majority of our PK goals on goals like that, screened shots from the point.

I never realized how pretty Daniel Alfredsson was. (hides)

I'm hoping this is a turning point in the season, after Hasek's comments created an inspired effort.

Old
01-15-2006, 12:56 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air
Phillips' fearlessness in blocking shots
He's second to only one Ottawa player in fearlessness in blocking shots...can you guess who?

I thought Heatley had scored and I'm pretty sure the entire arena did too. That was just strange.

Old
01-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Air

Oh! One last thing! It was a filler line for Neale/Cole, but they mentioned that Muckler said to them that Spezza would probably be ready for next week's double header vs. the Leafs.

Old
01-15-2006, 01:15 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm still annoyed by Bob Cole's big "YESSSSSS!!!!" after Edmonton scored the 3-4 goal.

Old
01-15-2006, 01:15 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air
Oh! One last thing! It was a filler line for Neale/Cole, but they mentioned that Muckler said to them that Spezza would probably be ready for next week's double header vs. the Leafs.
Unless he goes and pulls it again in practice or something.

Old
01-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Air

Quote:
Unless he goes and pulls it again in practice or something.
I think even Jason has learned by now. At least, I hope.

Quote:
I'm still annoyed by Bob Cole's big "YESSSSSS!!!!" after Edmonton scored the 3-4 goal.
I was annoyed about that, and they couldn't remember the player names -- at one point, they were talking about a goal that was just scored and they kept saying that Hasek shot it ... it took them a few seconds to recognize their mistake. (Although it doesn't seem like Alfie would do much better ...) It just seemed like they were always on the verge of just pointing at the jersey with those onscreen marker dealies and saying, "that guy.."

Old
01-15-2006, 02:24 AM
senskickass12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
To be fair they had just asked if the Oilers could get the puck to Smyth who tipped in the goal. Which is why I think they said yes, maybe a little too enthusiastically of course but just thought I'd point that out.

Old
01-15-2006, 02:53 AM
umma gumma

Sure! I think he was a little more enthusiastic because he called the play beofore it happened.

Old
01-15-2006, 05:20 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
What was Laraque talking to the ref about? He doesnt want to fight and wants the refs stepping in?
Laraque got challenged three times by Gratts. All Gratts got in return was a blank stare.

I am really disappointed in Laraque. I don't think he is intimidated by McGrattan, but he simply didn't want to fight him tonight.

Old
01-15-2006, 07:51 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
I never really got any posts in those threads so I didn't know if anyone really read 'em.

I'll start again
When you post pretty complete game review or stats threads, sometimes you have to be satisfied with lots of 'views'.

I solemnly swear to post in them more often.

Old
01-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
Laraque got challenged three times by Gratts. All Gratts got in return was a blank stare.

I am really disappointed in Laraque. I don't think he is intimidated by McGrattan, but he simply didn't want to fight him tonight.
From this morning's Edmonton Journal:

Brian McGratton was all set to go a round or two with Georges Laraque, but the Oilers enforcer turned him down---as instructed.

"If McGratton takes Georges out of the game, then all of a sudden Zdeno is taking liberties with (Smith-Horcoff-Hemsky) and I didn't want that to be the case."

BG rarely saw the ice when Chara was out there (if I'm reading the shift charts correctly) but the reasoning makes sense if you're worried about the giant on the blueline.

Old
01-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air
LOL! I guess the new hair suits him! Actually, the really funny thing was I was thinking the exact same thing.

I was really happy to see him though...the interview was quite funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
When you post pretty complete game review or stats threads, sometimes you have to be satisfied with lots of 'views'.

I love your post game threads Nyquil! If you post them again, I'll post too, although I warn you, my posts may be nothing more than "great analysis" or "I agree", but it's the thought that counts right?

Also, I would just like to say I really like how Gratts has played these last few games. Even got awarded with an assist tonight for a nice pass. Good stuff. Overall, I'm happy with the team last night. Feels good to win against a western canadian team for once!

Old
01-15-2006, 11:17 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide

Brian McGratton was all set to go a round or two with Georges Laraque, but the Oilers enforcer turned him down---as instructed.

"If McGratton takes Georges out of the game, then all of a sudden Zdeno is taking liberties with (Smith-Horcoff-Hemsky) and I didn't want that to be the case."

BG rarely saw the ice when Chara was out there (if I'm reading the shift charts correctly) but the reasoning makes sense if you're worried about the giant on the blueline.
Laraque doesn't fight anymore, don't ask why he just doesn't.

Old
01-15-2006, 11:38 AM
brucegarrioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide

Two questions:

1. Who was that quote from? I'm guess MacTavish?

2. When did Jason Smith move to forward?

Glad to see Ottawa bounce back, and get some goals from unlikely sources, but I'll be more likely to sing praises should this last more than a one game window. Ottawa, especially lately, has had a tendancy to play well one night and then drop to the level of their competition the next night - usually getting beaten in the process.

Old
01-15-2006, 12:37 PM
trentmccleary

3. When did Chara become some sort of senseless cheap-shot artist that needs to be policed by somebody like Laraques?

Old
01-15-2006, 01:34 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
Yeah at first i was pissed that alot of sens games weren't on CBC, now i realize i dont want those moronic idiots covering the game. I actually turned the sound off the tv i was so annoyed.

Old
01-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
3. When did Chara become some sort of senseless cheap-shot artist that needs to be policed by somebody like Laraques?
It's a compliment to Chara, I doubt anyone could be surprised that he's a guy the opposition coach spends a lot of time thinking about. "Taking Liberties" doesn't mean cheap shot. jmo.

Old
01-15-2006, 03:59 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air
Our power-play is a cause for concern. That was just a brutal 5 on 3. I think we've given up the majority of our PK goals on goals like that, screened shots from the point.

I'm hoping this is a turning point in the season, after Hasek's comments created an inspired effort.
I'm not a big Spezza fan, but the PP is were he is really missed.

Maybe Alf was so pretty because he had the Angelina Jolie lip going.

Old
01-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbth
Yeah at first i was pissed that alot of sens games weren't on CBC, now i realize i dont want those moronic idiots covering the game. I actually turned the sound off the tv i was so annoyed.
Why were Cole/Green doing the Sens game and not the leafs game????? When I tuned into the end of the leafs game I was surprised Cole wass not announcing, thought he was sick or something....then he shows up in Edmonton...***. Anyone know who we complain to at the CBC! Maybe if enough of us send e-mails we can get him banned from doing anymore Sens games,

Old
01-15-2006, 04:58 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful

Well, I understand that it's pretty hard to write anything interesting about a bunch of numbers, so now that you and SenJen and others have made it clear, I'll keep it up.

On a sidenote, I feel partly responsible for the Sens losing ways since I stopped posting those at around the same time.

Yes, I AM RESPONSIBLE!

Old
01-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat

Why were Cole/Green doing the Sens game and not the leafs game????? When I tuned into the end of the leafs game I was surprised Cole wass not announcing, thought he was sick or something....then he shows up in Edmonton...***. Anyone know who we complain to at the CBC! Maybe if enough of us send e-mails we can get him banned from doing anymore Sens games,
I've contacted CBC about the revolving broadcast team. I'll let you know when I hear back from them...probably tomorrow.

Closed Thread