HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nylander On The Third Line ?

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2006, 08:03 AM
GRETZKY_99

vCash: 500
Nylander On The Third Line ?

What do you all think about that move ?

Old
01-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Nich

i like it....but i can understand a flip with ruchin.

but it seems to be working, so you go with it for now.

Last edited by Nich: 01-14-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old
01-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Fletch

I hate it...

and I don't necessarily attribute two wins because of it either. Nylander's playing well - that happens. Rucchin's playing well, and that has happened too this season. I think as much success, if not more, would be had in the long run with those two playing their respected roles. The difference between this team and past teams has been everybody has a role - the correct role - and Renney doesn't stray from that. Straka and Jagr aren't killing penalties. Moore and Hollweg aren't getting 17 minutes per night. In the past, coaches would have Straka and Jagr killing penalties. It didn't work. Nylander's an offensive playmaker. Rucchin's offensive days are mostly behind him and he's good defensively, good cycling, and good with grinders. His line has generated about 6 shots in two games - that's not good. Nylander's did that in one game. A couple goals went in, and that's great, but that doesn't mean the lines are working.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:57 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRETZKY_99
What do you all think about that move ?
To quote Stripes. "I think it sucks".

Old
01-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Edge

I dont mind it because its working.

That's all that matters.

Jason Ward as a third line winger wasn't seen as ideal and it worked.

Moore as a defensive forward didnt seem good, but it worked.

The shaping of a Czech team didn't seem good and it worked.

This team is a perfect example of wait and see. It requires stowing the ego for a little bit and that's not an easy thing to do around here where everyone is trying to flex a little internet muscle ( and we ALL do it).

Old
01-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Fletch

Edge...

who said anything about Ward being a third liner not working and Moore as a defensive forward not working? I thought most thought that's exactly what they'd be. The thing with Ward at the beginning of the season was the wrong assumption that he may be expected to be more than a 3/4 line forward.

Old
01-14-2006, 08:55 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Edge, where did people want Ward to play and what role did people want Moore to have?

Old
01-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Balej20*

It works, it gives this team 3 lines of scoring threats instead of two...and at the sametime it allows that 3rd line to still be a bit more defensive minded.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
who said anything about Ward being a third liner not working and Moore as a defensive forward not working? I thought most thought that's exactly what they'd be. The thing with Ward at the beginning of the season was the wrong assumption that he may be expected to be more than a 3/4 line forward.
No way Fletch. 90% of this board, myself including didn't think Moore was a top 6 forward and lacked the size to be a bottom 6 forward.

With Ward they wanted nothing to do with him because it was felt he was an AHL player and possibly a fourth line NHL'er who would take away time from Ortmeyer.

No one thought this guy was a legit and intrigible third line checking winger.

However this board has always done a very job of "adjusting" it's opinion after the fact.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
Edge, where did people want Ward to play and what role did people want Moore to have?
Most people didn't even want him.

Felt that he wasn't physical enough for the third line, didn't have the hands for a higher line and would only bump Ortmeyer from the fourth line.

This board went into soap opera mode with just about every move this offseason.

And much to the intellectuals suprise (myself included) it's worked.

See the Sykora deal thread and times that by about 15 and you'll have an idea.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:23 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I think we can have a real nice checking line to go against other team's best forwards with, Hollweg-Rucchin-Ortmeyer

Old
01-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Fletch

Agree on adjusting...

didn't remember either. My problem with Ward was that I had a bad feeling that he may be a guy on the top two lines - because we've seen that in RangerLand too often (See Jeffs Toms and Ulmer). Didn't know much about him but he sounded like a third/fourth liner. Moore - I thought most everybody thought he should make this team. Can't remember in what capacity, but I didn't remember many thinking top 6, so it must've been bottom six. Man was that a long time ago.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I think we can have a real nice checking line to go against other team's best forwards with, Hollweg-Rucchin-Ortmeyer
Could be, and I think we might see it someday.

I think eveyrone is getting bent out of shape about lines like they're permanent but i ahve a feeling someone is being moved when Betts comes back.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:45 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Could be, and I think we might see it someday.

I think eveyrone is getting bent out of shape about lines like they're permanent but i ahve a feeling someone is being moved when Betts comes back.
Simon-Lindros-Barnaby. One of the greatest lines ever for me

Old
01-14-2006, 11:07 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

People that say that we now have 3 scoring lines, I disagree. I'd rather have 2 really good scoring lines and 2 non-scoring lines than 1 really good scoring line, 1 decent scoring line, 1 mediocre scoring line, and 1 non-scoring line. Basically, the 3rd line still has Niemo and Ward, and Nylander is not a miracle worker to make the 3rd line anything more than a mediocre scoring line. I think the difference isn't that big to have the 2nd line be hindered and only being decent with a non-scoring center. In essense, we're going back almost to square one, where we only had 1 good scoring line, except the other 2 are a bit improved, but does it really make that big of a difference? Since Rucchin is more of a scoring threat than Betts, either way we improve the third line. I hope I made sense.

Old
01-14-2006, 11:08 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Simon-Lindros-Barnaby. One of the greatest lines ever for me
Well of course, you seem to not care if we lose 10-0 on the scoreboard, as long as we win 10-0 in fights.

Old
01-14-2006, 11:39 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Well of course, you seem to not care if we lose 10-0 on the scoreboard, as long as we win 10-0 in fights.
What? That line could do it all. They could hit, score, fight, intimidate, play any way they needed to. One of our best checking lines...if only we could keep em together longer. I don't know why you get that interpretation of me. Because I want Colton Orr to play? Hockey is a physical, rough game...and I think Orr is a very capable player...every team has one like him, except for us. We have a bunch of Czechs playing European hockey in the NHL which I dislike. Hey, you can't love every team, but you can always be a Ranger fan. I love fights...yep...but what you just said is not true...not true at all

Old
01-14-2006, 11:49 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
What? That line could do it all. They could hit, score, fight, intimidate, play any way they needed to. One of our best checking lines...if only we could keep em together longer. I don't know why you get that interpretation of me. Because I want Colton Orr to play? Hockey is a physical, rough game...and I think Orr is a very capable player...every team has one like him, except for us. We have a bunch of Czechs playing European hockey in the NHL which I dislike. Hey, you can't love every team, but you can always be a Ranger fan. I love fights...yep...but what you just said is not true...not true at all
It's not the Colton Orr thing, it's the fact that the Rangers have done decently and all you do is complain about them not fighting enough and bash them for it. Seriously you bash the Rangers more than most Islanders fans just because we don't fight too much, that's why it seems to me that all you care about is fights. BTW the same Red Wings that beat us today have always played more of a European style (in fact they had a Russian 5) and are always on the bottom of the league in fights. Yet since 97 they have had 3 cups and are always contenders.

Old
01-15-2006, 12:09 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
It's not the Colton Orr thing, it's the fact that the Rangers have done decently and all you do is complain about them not fighting enough and bash them for it. Seriously you bash the Rangers more than most Islanders fans just because we don't fight too much, that's why it seems to me that all you care about is fights. BTW the same Red Wings that beat us today have always played more of a European style (in fact they had a Russian 5) and are always on the bottom of the league in fights. Yet since 97 they have had 3 cups and are always contenders.
It has nothing to do with fights. It has to do with playing a rough, physical, intimidating game. Not a figure skating game with finesse. I really don't care about fights, only when you gotta...and many times you do, but more importantly it's about playing physical, the Wings do that and they always have. They play an up-tempo, raucous, in-your-face type game.

Old
01-15-2006, 12:14 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
It has nothing to do with fights. It has to do with playing a rough, physical, intimidating game. Not a figure skating game with finesse. I really don't care about fights, only when you gotta...and many times you do, but more importantly it's about playing physical, the Wings do that and they always have. They play an up-tempo, raucous, in-your-face type game.
The Rangers bottom 2 lines are pretty physical, the top 2 lines are scoring lines, just like it should be. When we played probably the toughest team in the league we more than held our own with them in hitting (Calgary). Although, now we got softer because Kaspar got hurt. That's a really big injury.

Old
01-15-2006, 12:52 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
The Rangers bottom 2 lines are pretty physical, the top 2 lines are scoring lines, just like it should be. When we played probably the toughest team in the league we more than held our own with them in hitting (Calgary). Although, now we got softer because Kaspar got hurt. That's a really big injury.
Orite. Well, all I know is (I know this team is much better and more successful), but back then...the Rangers and all others were alot more physical and rough. Every NYR-Flyer, NYR-Isle game was huge and electric. There were tons of fights and trash talking going on in the crowd, on the ice, players used to go at it, heck they even got going during warm-ups. This type of stuff is un heard of these days. It's a nice guy type of mentality. It seems like the players on the ice are all best friends, no one wants to hurt or make the other feel bad. That's what I miss and dislike which is why I'm always begging for Orr

Old
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

All right, you take the tough, mean, 10 games under .500 Rangers, and I'll take the nice guy 12 games over .500 Rangers.

Closed Thread