HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Press conference with Bob Gainey at 12:30 ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2006, 12:52 PM
HabsBaby18*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
I can't believe Gainey would call out Markov of all players...
sometime when you have high expectations about a player even if he is playing decent you are still dissapointed. I think (assumption) that Gainey thinks markov can be way better

Old
01-14-2006, 12:52 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

He said Markov played great but not up to his potential... He said that Sourray and Theo were clearly lacking effort.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:53 PM
CH74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Losco
What's this Markov bashing?
It's not bashing. Even if Markov is the best defenseman of the canadiens this year Gainey thinks he can be even better.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Habsfan18

did Gainey say that he sees himself sticking with the current roster for the rest of the season?

Old
01-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
He said Markov played great but not up to his potential...
Exactly and that's not a bad thing. Markov has played well but we all know he can be a special player and so does Gainey. He just wants him to get there.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:54 PM
SammyTheBull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Losco
What's this Markov bashing?
He's bashing Theodore and Sourray which is understandable but he specifically said Markov has been play well but Gainey believes he has more potential and can give more to the team, I agree with em.

It's like Sutter saying Iginla is not playing to his full potential, which he's not, but he's playing moderatley well.

It's more of a complement to Markov than a bash.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Ross MacLochness

Ok I am not watching the PC, I'm just going by what people on the net are saying. Gainey "calling out" Markov.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:56 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15
did Gainey say that he sees himself sticking with the current roster for the rest of the season?
He said the habs are committed to the develop young players but if there is an opportunity to improve the team with a trade he will do it. Now that he will be a head coach I would not expect Bob to be very active on the trade market.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Carbo N8

He'll probably also announce that he is increasing the size of the training/medical staff, because, during practice he is going to demonstrate to each player how to throw a body check.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:57 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheBull
He's bashing Theodore and Sourray which is understandable but he specifically said Markov has been play well but Gainey believes he has more potential and can give more to the team, I agree with em.

It's like Sutter saying Iginla is not playing to his full potential, which he's not, but he's playing moderatley well.

It's more of a complement to Markov than a bash.
Kovalev is also playing "well" yet we all know he can do A LOT better...he was not named.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I didn't even listen to it at first... wow...

I never would have thought he would fire Julien. But I'm very happy with this. I have faith in Carbonneau. He's seen a lot at the NHL level and we had one of our better season (where we overachieved the most) with him behind the bench.

Maybe now Gainey will go get Robidas back. With him playing on forward now, maybe he could be had for cheap. I would love to see him in Mtl. He's a good #5-6 and he was Theo's best buddy. Theo was much better with Robidas there. They played ball on the wall together and he always said it helped him focus. Maybe Theo would be better with Robidas here. I know it's weak to say this, and Theodore shouldn't need his friend to play well but eh..

Old
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
MightyPleky*

Send a message via MSN to MightyPleky*
Gainey will give more ice time to the youngs !! Gainey will give more ice time to the youngs !!

Old
01-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Good news regarding the young guys. Dagenais out, Perezhogin/Kostitsyn in.

"Making the playoffs and developing young players don't have to be conflicting."

Old
01-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik
"Are you gonna change the goalie tonight?" (Play Theo instead of Huet)

BG - "Yes."

Did you see the way he responded? It appeared as though Gainey is having an issue with Julien playing Huet again and again instead of putting Theo back in the nets.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Gainey : one of our assets we haven't been exploiting is team speed.

How true ! I'm really happy to hear this. Maybe now they won't play that crappy defensive game when they're leading.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:03 PM
slick_adonis

vCash:
Benching Theo got Julien fired

That's what got Julien fired. You could very much tell by the intonation Gainey used when a reporter asked him whether Huet would still play tonight...without hesitation, Gainey sternly answered "No".

You could also tell by the cryptic reasoning given by Gainey for the firing. It's pretty clear that Julien benching Theo for a third time in a row cost him his job.

1) It makes Gainey look like an idiot, having just signed the guy to a 3 year, 16 million dollar contract. In my humble opinion, that really was a huge blunder by Gainey; but as a coach, you can't do such things and get away with it, especially not with a proud guy like Gainey.

2) It makes it hard for a GM to trade a player (in this instance, Theo), when you're sending the message out to the rest of the league that you no longer have confidence in the player. And that is why Julien is gone...for tying Gainey's hands like that.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Did you see the way he responded? It appeared as though Gainey is having an issue with Julien playing Huet again and again instead of putting Theo back in the nets.
And now he says the team hasn't exploited his biggest asset : speed.

Should be interesting to see how the team will do in the next few weeks..

Old
01-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Namso

I've got to give it to Julien, he had the balls to do what he felt was right, and that is to go with the better goalie.

I hope Julien quickly catches on with another team and has success there.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Now he's talking about the team speed that needs to return to our game. Yes!

I wonder if Perezhogin will get the call to get back up soon? Gainey mentionning him is pretty important, along with the quote about playing the kids more...

Old
01-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Ross MacLochness

Could also be us playing a system that was completely backwards to the style of our players. Or not being able to motivate his troops at all.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:07 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_adonis
That's what got Julien fired. You could very much tell by the intonation Gainey used when a reporter asked him whether Huet would still play tonight...without hesitation, Gainey sternly answered "No".

You could also tell by the cryptic reasoning given by Gainey for the firing. It's pretty clear that Julien benching Theo for a third time in a row cost him his job.

1) It makes Gainey look like an idiot, having just signed the guy to a 3 year, 16 million dollar contract. In my humble opinion, that really was a huge blunder by Gainey; but as a coach, you can't do such things and get away with it, especially not with a proud guy like Gainey.

2) It makes it hard for a GM to trade a player (in this instance, Theo), when you're sending the message out to the rest of the league that you no longer have confidence in the player. And that is why Julien is gone...for tying Gainey's hands like that.
Bob had started talks with Carbonneau 8 days ago so that was before Julien benched Theo.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Now he's talking about the team speed that needs to return to our game. Yes!

I wonder if Perezhogin will get the call to get back up soon? Gainey mentionning him is pretty important, along with the quote about playing the kids more...
He actually named Perezhogin specifically?

Smart man, this Gainey.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Not just that, it's a bunch of factors like the youth. Gainey trusts the youth and want to go with it, Julien didn't really go into that direction. It probably explains why Gainey spent so much time in Hamilton recently.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:09 PM
LeHab

Julien has left the town and will meet with the media Wednesday or Thursday.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:10 PM
slick_adonis

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1
Bob had started talks with Carbonneau 8 days ago so that was before Julien benched Theo.
I'm aware of that, but 90% of what goes on in hockey is just "friendly chit chat"...playing out what-if scenarios...be it trade talks or whatever. Think of Theo getting benched as the last straw...what pushed Gainey to do it now.

Closed Thread