HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Press conference with Bob Gainey at 12:30 ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2006, 01:53 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11
When was the last time you were in the locker room?
geez !

i hate when someone brings those '' you're not in the locker room ''...

If some peoples that are following the team , that are knowing the players , the medecine staffs , the coachs , the GM and all the members of the organisation are saying things , i don't need to be there to knew something ...

Your childish arguement could be turn in the opposite way .
'' you don't know if Koivu is a good Captain , if he's the soul and heart of the team , because you're not in the locker room...

Koivu isn't perfect ...is it so difficult to understand that ?

Old
01-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
I think you misunderstood what I meant by pundit. While it doesn't always have the greatest connotations, it's just basically somebody who gives his opinion. And I stand by my statement that Demers won't get any position in the NHL today because he isn't right for how the game is played today.

Fair enough

When i think pundits , i think Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter so you're right , it certainly doesn't have the greatest connotations.Or maybe i'm just debating American politics too much.....

Quote:
As for turning Koivu into a sacred cow: The worst thing fans can do is put people up on pedastals to the degree where they can't be criticized. I do think Koivu is not a vocal leader, but I think he more than makes up for that with his other assets: namely his talent and his attitude. That Demers singled him out, and did it so viciously, just shows that he has an agenda against Koivu for whatever reason. There are a lot bigger problems on this team than Saku Koivu, who was injured for 50% of this team's slump.
I completely agree with your first sentence but not with the rest.I really don't think that Jacques Demers have an agenda against Koivu.He just expressed his opinion about a player that his not really his type for being the Habs captain and to a certain extent i agree with him but i really don't want to start a Koivu debate here .As long as Saks is the captain, i will respect his position and cheers for him.He does show the exemple by his attitude and leadership on the ice but maybe the Habs need more than that ? Maybe the Habs need a leader that is both a leader and in and out of the ice ? Ill leave it as that as i know that the Koivu subject is very sensible around here

I did not really liked it either when they questionned his motives (UFA and everything) and i think that they went a bit too far but the whole point im trying to make is that it does not mean that someone have an agenda and his a Koivu hater just because they criticize his character.It's just that someone at some point need to ask the real questions and Koivu's leadership is one of those.

But you are right and i agree with u when u say that there are much bigger problem than Saks on this team.

Old
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
You make a very weak point, and a highly biased one at that. Please refresh your memory. So the Habs didn't make the playoffs in 2003-04? They didn't get to the second round? Koivu didn't lead the team in scoring in the 2004 playoffs? Koivu didn't play well when he returned just in time for the 2002 playoffs? Reconsider and repent for your hypocrisy, mark0v. Maybe you would like le Canadien to trade for a "real" #1 center, like Alexei Yashin?
hey cool down boy !

someone said that even Messier wouldn't have brought one of those team to the playoffs , and i just showed him that an old Gilmour and a limited Perreault did it ...and if you look , i added a big smille at the end of it , so it is not neccesary to fall in the panic mode...

Old
01-15-2006, 05:51 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Not only Demers, a lot of people have been bringing this issue over the last few years. Koivu might be a leader on the ice but he's not a very good leader in the locker room, stop kidding yourselves.
Unless you really are vladimir malakhov, who has actually been in the locker room, that is the most idotic thing you can say. There's no way in hell that you would know what Koivu says and how koivu acts behind closed doors.

That's pure specualtion and you know it.

Old
01-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
geez !

If some peoples that are following the team , that are knowing the players , the medecine staffs , the coachs , the GM and all the members of the organisation are saying things , i don't need to be there to knew something ...

'' you don't know if Koivu is a good Captain , if he's the soul and heart of the team , because you're not in the locker room...

saying that koivu is a bad leader inside the locker room is just as stupid as saying koivu is a good leader inside the locker room.

Like I said, that's all pure speculation.

Period.

Old
01-15-2006, 09:02 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
geez !

Was Henri Richard a great captain ? In my view, he was one of the best. He epitomized what I think the CH stands for. The same guy once slapped a teammate in the locker room,publicly humiliated his coach, both in a manner that Koivu would be ripped in the public eye if this happened today. I've always thought that Koivu was very similar to the Pocket Rocket in terms of style of leadership,playing style, the way pride seems to fuel him, etc. Granted Saku won't see his # in the rafters nor be able to peddle 11 rings on e bay, but they have a lot in common. The circumstance and team around them dictates success to a large extent. The above is what I've sort of put together in my head from what I've read and heard.

It's probably true, Koivu isn't a [is this the right word ?] rassembleur and that could be an issue. Who is though ? I remeber reading an article about Larry Robinson late in his time here, getting to know young players and helping them out off the ice, speaking to the francophones in their own language, including the Euro's in social functions. I doubt Gainey was much of a social director,but a fine leader. Some players are 'one of the boys', some aren't. Carbo was a guy who liked to enjoy life if you know what I mean, Gainey, not so much. marKov, it takes all kinds though. My #1 pre-requisite for leadership is giving it all every game and providing an example of dedication and team play.

I don't know this,but I suspect it,but Koivu may be a little bit snotty on occasion, and may have some media members in mind that he gives little time to. I suspect that this has done him some harm as far as his reputation goes. Did you notice Carbo enjoying his little game of give and take with Red Fisher during th epress conference ? Carbo gets the game and appreciates that he and Fisher have done this dance before, and in fact gets a kick out of it. Koivu may not get that.

Closed Thread