HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL attendance thread 2016-17

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-24-2016, 04:56 AM
  #1
Acallabeth
Registered User
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near an airfield
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
KHL attendance thread 2016-17

Thought it will be better as a separate discussion.

2014-15 thread.
2015-16 thread.
Ffinal regular season numbers, the same in tables (ru).

In news, Spartak has set a new attendance record of 8739 at their home opener in the Legends arena: http://www.spartak.ru/press/news/item27014/

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2016, 06:17 AM
  #2
mkev400
Registered User
 
mkev400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post

In news, Spartak has set a new attendance record of 8739 at their home opener in the Legends arena: http://www.spartak.ru/press/news/item27014/
Are they sharing legends arena/VTB Ice Palace with Dianmo this season then? I thought they were playing in the Luzhniki Small Sports Arena, or have I missed something?
I watched bits and pieces of the Opener vs. Jokerit and thought that it could have been LA/Ice Palace.

mkev400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2016, 06:17 AM
  #3
Rigafan
Registered User
 
Rigafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Manchester, England
Country: England
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
Sochi opening night v Riga was over 5000 fans. I seen somebody calling them out for being 'half empty as usual'. Over 5k is good for any team.

Rigafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2016, 06:28 AM
  #4
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkev400 View Post
Are they sharing legends arena/VTB Ice Palace with Dianmo this season then? I thought they were playing in the Luzhniki Small Sports Arena, or have I missed something?
I watched bits and pieces of the Opener vs. Jokerit and thought that it could have been LA/Ice Palace.
their main arena is luzhniky, just some top games will be played at vtb ice palace.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2016, 07:44 AM
  #5
hockeyMB89
Registered User
 
hockeyMB89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Krakow
Country: Poland
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigafan View Post
Sochi opening night v Riga was over 5000 fans. I seen somebody calling them out for being 'half empty as usual'. Over 5k is good for any team.

5806 fans.

hockeyMB89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2016, 08:32 AM
  #6
mkev400
Registered User
 
mkev400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
their main arena is luzhniky, just some top games will be played at vtb ice palace.
Ahhh, Thanks for that clarification!

mkev400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2016, 11:46 PM
  #7
Acallabeth
Registered User
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near an airfield
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Checkmate ult! CSKA opened the season with just 2800 fans in attendance, it was sad to watch.

To be fair, it may be the biggest case of bad KHL marketing. It looks like while I was riding horses the CSKA fans were ranting about their new season tickets program; I ran into this outburst just yesterday completely by surprise. Key points for those who don't read Russian:
- the ST prices were dramatically raised: basic price for the author's category ST leapt from 7k to 12k (the author calls the price "sky high"), and this only includes the 1st round of the playoffs instead of its entirety like it used to be.
- no loyalty system;
- no bonuses like fan shop discounts or free candies;
- lack of flexibility and different ST types.

The fans have also complained to the CSKA CEO Igor Yesmanovich about prices, to what Igor replied that an average game price for a 15k ST was just 365 rubles.

Sure, both parties have their reasons, but I side with Igor here. 7k was one of the cheapest season tickets in all of the KHL, that price was not "pretty reasonable" as that guy writes, it was completely ridiculous, especially for Moscow which is the wealthiest Russian city. And the attendance was still very poor. CSKA fans can complain as much as they want about an outdated 25 year old arena, but the idea they should pay the least in the league to watch one of the best teams is exactly what's dragging down the KHL. If the team had 30k requests for a home game against SKA, they can easily charge 2-4k for a ticket, so one Western Final series can give them more income than all the ST program.

One question remaining is why not just Megasport?..

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2016, 04:46 AM
  #8
Dueling Banjos
Registered User
 
Dueling Banjos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post

One question remaining is why not just Megasport?..
There are probably others, unknown reasons to me but even location is pretty much the same, few blocks away from CSKA arena.

Dueling Banjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2016, 06:52 AM
  #9
mkev400
Registered User
 
mkev400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post

One question remaining is why not just Megasport?..
Well, one reason might be rent. Its not like they own Megasport Arena, no? And if they open with 2800 people at home (regardless of the ST price increase of some 5k Rub, which is 70 odd) then I doubt they will draw well at Megasport. Its a modern enough arena and given the rent, the price increase for tickets would potentially increase even further, for the team to cover the rent and at least break even on the financial profit they make at their own arena.
Mind you if CSKA fans already arent willing to pay more for a "moderate increase" (as you say, cheapest tickets for a top team), then I highly doubt they'll want to cough up the highly inflated ticket prices the team will have to charge if/when they become a tenant in a big arena.

mkev400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2016, 07:45 AM
  #10
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Checkmate ult! CSKA opened the season with just 2800 fans in attendance, it was sad to watch.

To be fair, it may be the biggest case of bad KHL marketing. It looks like while I was riding horses the CSKA fans were ranting about their new season tickets program; I ran into this outburst just yesterday completely by surprise. Key points for those who don't read Russian:
- the ST prices were dramatically raised: basic price for the author's category ST leapt from 7k to 12k (the author calls the price "sky high"), and this only includes the 1st round of the playoffs instead of its entirety like it used to be.
- no loyalty system;
- no bonuses like fan shop discounts or free candies;
- lack of flexibility and different ST types.

The fans have also complained to the CSKA CEO Igor Yesmanovich about prices, to what Igor replied that an average game price for a 15k ST was just 365 rubles.

Sure, both parties have their reasons, but I side with Igor here. 7k was one of the cheapest season tickets in all of the KHL, that price was not "pretty reasonable" as that guy writes, it was completely ridiculous, especially for Moscow which is the wealthiest Russian city. And the attendance was still very poor. CSKA fans can complain as much as they want about an outdated 25 year old arena, but the idea they should pay the least in the league to watch one of the best teams is exactly what's dragging down the KHL. If the team had 30k requests for a home game against SKA, they can easily charge 2-4k for a ticket, so one Western Final series can give them more income than all the ST program.

One question remaining is why not just Megasport?..
wtf? What it has to do with the new arena? Me personally, I would never go to such ****hole as their current arena. I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't as well. And with each passing year it becomes increasingly outdated as people become accustomed to the modern arenas and stadiums. Why would you go to that arena when you get much better experience at home? And had they played that game at Megasport, they would have gotten twice that number. Easy.

And we've talked million times about why no one plays in Megasport. It was supposed to change after modernization, but it didn't.

So if anything, the low attendance will only make them hurry up with the construction of a new one.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2016, 08:06 AM
  #11
mkev400
Registered User
 
mkev400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
And had they played that game at Megasport, they would have gotten twice that number. Easy.
5600 in an arena thats supposed to hold 12k isnt that great either.

Id even argue from a percentage capacity its much worse. Working of Wikipedias listed capacities:
Megasport Arena (Hockey Config): 12,126
CSKA Ice Palace: 5,600

Which means that CSKA drew a 50% capacity for the home opener. If we are going by your assumption that attendance for the home opener would have doubled, we are speaking of an attendance of 5600 people proj. in the Megasport Arena. Simple Maths tells us that this would mean drawing less than 50% of the total capacity (46.2%). And thats without factoring in any price increases, which would be imminent, if CSKA decided to play there to cover the rent and running cost of the Arena (concession stands, security guards, general staff)...

mkev400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2016, 12:58 PM
  #12
Acallabeth
Registered User
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near an airfield
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
So if anything, the low attendance will only make them hurry up with the construction of a new one.
Oh, maybe, it will just look even more pathetic. Like when Torpedo played in a 80k Luzhniki in front of 300 fans, CSKA is on their way there. Hockey CSKA simply has no fanbase, I wonder if they could draw 10k for a negotiated match in the football CSKA stadium.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2016, 03:42 PM
  #13
Milos Krasic
Ballin' in Poland
 
Milos Krasic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Srbija
Country: Serbia
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 500
A recent 2nd division football game between Dynamo and Spartak-2 got over 7K fans. Football Sibir is usually between 2-3K. Yaroslavl and Khabarovsk are about the same. Neftekhimik is less than 2K. These are all 2nd division teams for comparison.


Last edited by Milos Krasic: 08-26-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Milos Krasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2016, 07:46 AM
  #14
jaco
Registered User
 
jaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Italy
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Red Star Kunlun

That's what I right now on en.khl.ru:

Le Sports Center (Beijing)
1000 (audience)

Is that correct? Would be sad.....

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2016, 07:49 AM
  #15
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
That's what I right now on en.khl.ru:

Le Sports Center (Beijing)
1000 (audience)

Is that correct? Would be sad.....
no it is not, I guess it is just testing the system because this att. number were at the site a hour before game started. Btw Russian commentators said before game that all 8k tickets were sold.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2016, 11:23 AM
  #16
Acallabeth
Registered User
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near an airfield
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
7832 is the final attendance number. They only missed by 6832, nbd.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2016, 12:18 PM
  #17
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,965
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Is that not around the amount of fans that attended the China Dragon games all season long last year?

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2016, 05:26 PM
  #18
Rigafan
Registered User
 
Rigafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Manchester, England
Country: England
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Is that not around the amount of fans that attended the China Dragon games all season long last year?


It used to be! Until they won a game! Now they have the best average att. in the Asia league I believe.

Rigafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2016, 10:55 AM
  #19
Acallabeth
Registered User
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near an airfield
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Meanwhile Loko attracted 2170 fans for their home MHL opener. CSKA-like numbers!

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2016, 01:10 AM
  #20
Go Donbass
Registered User
 
Go Donbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Maybe Sochi is finally taking to their team. Didn't see any numbers, but watching the hilites of their game against Amur, it looked like one of the best regular season crowds I've ever seen in that arena.

Go Donbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2016, 02:10 AM
  #21
hansomreiste
Kebabman
 
hansomreiste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: İstanbul
Country: Turkey
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Donbass View Post
Maybe Sochi is finally taking to their team. Didn't see any numbers, but watching the hilites of their game against Amur, it looked like one of the best regular season crowds I've ever seen in that arena.
Actually, according to the official figure which is 6.107 people, this is just half of what Bolshoy Ice Dome can accommodate. I want Sochi to make a Gagarin Cup run solely for this beautiful arena - wondering if they would see 10K. I'm really angry with whoever took Trabzon-Sochi ferries down. If they were still in place, Sochi would be my favorite destination for KHL hockey easily.


Last edited by hansomreiste: 09-07-2016 at 02:21 AM.
hansomreiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2016, 03:15 PM
  #22
Jussi
Registered User
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The List Of Jericho
Country: Finland
Posts: 56,865
vCash: 500
Less than 9800 for Jokerit season opener. They've now reached SM-Liiga levels.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2016, 01:30 PM
  #23
Jussi
Registered User
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The List Of Jericho
Country: Finland
Posts: 56,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Less than 9800 for Jokerit season opener. They've now reached SM-Liiga levels.
And 8474 today...

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2016, 02:09 PM
  #24
Dueling Banjos
Registered User
 
Dueling Banjos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 250
What was their average in Liiga?

Dueling Banjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2016, 02:18 PM
  #25
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,009
vCash: 500
For comparison IFK Helsinki in CHL - 3503 average attendance.

So KHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CHL.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.