HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Oilers vs Blues

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 06:19 PM
G-Double

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Sounds like the ice has tilted back to where it was early in the 1st, we're one goal down and i don't think i've heard (you lucky punks get to see it) the puck back in the Oilers zone for very long in the last 5-6 moinutes of the game. Even if the Oilers don't win, they're showing some resolve and thats good for such a young team.

Unfortunately all they had to do was come together as a team and capitalize on their 3-0 lead by playing really solid D....oh well another sign of youth.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Lowetide

This is what young team's do. They started having fun, you could see them running all over the place. If Hitchcock ran the team he would have done some blood letting on the bench.

Oilers have done this before.

I must say I like the amount of effort they're putting in during this period.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Oilhitch

They would have won if Conklin was in net for the entire game.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:31 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
They would have won if Conklin was in net for the entire game.
pfft. The ONLY goal that could perhaps be blamed on Salo is Demitra's. What you just said is one of those marvelous times when somebody is capable of literaly forcing words out of their backside. (questionable on the breakaway goal perhaps a bit, but I'm like many others who say unless the Goals MISSES the puck on the breakaway it's not their fault)

Old
10-21-2003, 06:32 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Amazing how many chances to score they generated.

Anyway- I wonder if this performance gives any clues as to what Lowe needs to do? If you were making the decision based on just this game, maybe the thing to do would be take Comrie off the table and sign a veteran.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:34 PM
G-Double

Well they lost but i hope they realized that if they turn it up and focus they can really generate some offense just by using their speed and hustle against any team in the league. They did it against colorado who was healthy and they did it against STL who wasn't exactly in 100% health.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:38 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

The reason the Oilers lost the game IMO is def. because of their poor play from about 10 minutes into the first to about 10 minutes left in the third.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:40 PM
G-Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
The reason the Oilers lost the game IMO is def. because of their poor play from about 10 minutes into the first to about 10 minutes left in the third.
hey, i didn't know mact posted here.....

sorry, i couldn't resist, that ws just too obvious

Old
10-21-2003, 06:42 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

The Avs got rolled again tonight, so they're going to be in a surly mood Thursday.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:49 PM
gretzky2kurri

All the goal posts aside.....the Oilers should have won this hockey game.

The Oilers need to learn to play more than ONE style of hockey. They are very good at the run and gun, forechecking to cause turn-overs and sending 2 guys deep. But the game becomes 3-0 and they want to make it a blow-out. The Blues get one on the PP to make it 3-1......and the Oilers keep soldiering in trying to cause turn-overs with 2 guys deep!

I'm not saying go into a shell.........because that is disaster for this club. I'm not saying they should stop forechecking either. But maybe not as aggressively and perhaps the D could pinch a little less.

I know it's a fine line there and some may say if the Oilers would have made that first period rodeo into a 5-0 lead....all the better. But they came out of the dust lucky to have a 3-0 lead and decided, "what the hey.....it's working."

I'm sure some will argue and say the best way to success is for this young inexperienced club is fire-wagon "city of champions" hockey. But I feel they could benefit being effective at more than ONE style of game. I only seen one style tonight.

In order to KEEP a 3 goal lead.......you sometimes need to play a different style.

But the Oilers are SO versatile, being able to match any forward on the team with any other forward on any given night........so I guess everything will be just great.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:56 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
hey, i didn't know mact posted here.....

sorry, i couldn't resist, that ws just too obvious
Calling ME MacT??????? Boy you sure don't pay attention much to what posters tend to say/think. MacT is one of the bottom ten coaches in the NHL. I HATE, I HATE, I HATE MANY of the things that he does, and he plays favorites worse then an 80 year old senile grandmother. If you think the Oilers played a complete enough game to win then you're kidding yourself. They DIDN'T play good after they got the third goal, and they didn't play good into the third.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:05 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
They DIDN'T play good after they got the third goal, and they didn't play good into the third.
I think what he is saying is, that he knows. He felt that was very obvious. Thought it was something MacT would say. (not the most creative interveiwee) Not that you are the leader of the MacT fan club.....lol.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:11 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I think what he is saying is, that he knows. He felt that was very obvious. Thought it was something MacT would say. (not the most creative interveiwee) Not that you are the leader of the MacT fan club.....lol.
Well if thats what he's implying fine then - but I am as far from a MacT fan as there is on this board (well - I'm not some radicalist who thinks that he should be fired on the spot and such, but he needs to show some tough love and not play favorites so much...... perhaps Pisani and Cleary both had excellent knee pads..... if you follow what I mean....

Old
10-21-2003, 07:19 PM
G-Double

thanks G2K, that is indeed what i was saying...

Old
10-21-2003, 07:31 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Ouch, when I left work we were up 3-0.
When I got home it was 3-4.
After I came back from dinner it was 4-6.

I sure missed a helluva game. :mad:

I'm not jumping on or off the bandwagon though. The D tonight was brutal, but it has been during all 6 games this season. Its just that tonight the Blues were able to capitalize on the chances. Let's hope that they get their act together and play some solid D.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:41 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

and we dont need Comrie?? haha what a joke....SIGN MIKE COMRIE...CLAP CLAP, CLAP-CLAP -CLAP.....

Old
10-21-2003, 07:44 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
To top it all off they gave an assist to Chimera insted of Dvorak :mad: i need all the points he can get

Old
10-21-2003, 07:51 PM
edmontonoilers89

I was at the game, and my thoughts:

First thought...for the Oilers, worst lead is 3-0. As soon as we got that 3-0 lead I looked to my dad and told him we're going to tie at best, because I've seen these Oilers do this before, and today was no different.

There really isn't much to say. As I was sitting in my seat and I saw the lead go from 3-0 to 3-5, I asked myself who are the scapegoats for this game.

First I thought of Salo, as his game was off, and then no one really else came to mind.This was an entire team downfall, and it can't be put squarely on the play of one or two player's shoulders.

I thought we learned from last year about gibing up these kinda of leads, but atleast the Oil got this kind of game out of their system instead of waiting for our annual January funk to question what is wrong with this team.

I'm hoping for a big game against the Avs, but with them losing to the Bruins tonight again, I think we'll be outmatched, even with us being a little PO'ed too.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:51 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
and we dont need Comrie?? haha what a joke....SIGN MIKE COMRIE...CLAP CLAP, CLAP-CLAP -CLAP.....
Why would have he helped defensively tonight??

Old
10-21-2003, 07:53 PM
mamettt

I think a guy like Marchant would have been useful tonight instead of comrie. Just a brutal game. Mac-t should be absoloutley ripping into these players in practice tommorow. We need our D to start stepping up. How good would a comrie for Wiess and Bransilav "Im 6'6, 23 years old, and playing 20 minutes a night" Mezei be right now?

Old
10-21-2003, 08:02 PM
OYLer

Sometimes a young teams needs to experience adversity. Run & Gun is OK but when you have a 3 goal lead, an agressive defensive system of 'make them pay the price hockey', must kick into play. The Blues weren't made to pay the big hurting price as they scored 5 unanswered goals. Not one roughing/fighting penalty tonight and Tkachuk ran Tommy over ... what up with that? Hey wimpy boys on the bus where's the grit. The Smyth at center experiment should end poste haste and Stoll should be advised that winning draws and banging bodies up the middle is requisite or call-up from the AHL are next.

Ryan Smyth is a great and gritty Left Wing, PLEASE LET HIM PLAY HIS NATURAL POSITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33% in the faceoff circle just ain't cutting it.

Now the positives, and there were many, Snake bit all night Reasoner could of had a couple. If he is promoted to the 1st or 2nd line he will get goals. Staios and Moreau had great games, the diving call on Moreau proves just how ludicrous is a penalty for diving. It is nothing more than a non call, end of story.

The Copper & Blue got a little overly exuberant and a win was lost. A pity, but not the end of the world. The St. Louis Blues are thanking their lucky goalposts on this Octocberfast's night at Skyreach where the visitors drank last at the lucky pool of iced water that they survived and took home 2 points! The Avs might have to pay for this unlucky lose in two days time!

Old
10-21-2003, 08:15 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamettt
How good would a comrie for Wiess and Bransilav "Im 6'6, 23 years old, and playing 20 minutes a night" Mezei be right now?
Yeah, then Mezei could sit in the pressbox next to a "I'm 6'5, 22 years old, and capable of playing 20 minutes a night" Semenov.

Because we all know that Cory Cross and Scott Ferguson are too good to sit in the pressbox on MacT's team.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:16 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Why would have he helped defensively tonight??
We didn't lose this game because of defence, we lost this game because we turned off the pressure and forecheck, laid back, took dumb penalties, made dumb plays, played the wrong players at the wrong times, and did too little too late. For more of this, go check my game report

hahaha

Old
10-21-2003, 08:30 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
We didn't lose this game because of defence, we lost this game because we turned off the pressure and forecheck, laid back, took dumb penalties, made dumb plays, played the wrong players at the wrong times, and did too little too late. For more of this, go check my game report

hahaha
By the sounds of it we should be directing MacT to it too, #1 . I can't say what I think of it as I haven't read it yet.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
By the sounds of it we should be directing MacT to it too, #1 . I can't say what I think of it as I haven't read it yet.
Yeah, the turning off the forecheck is a shot at MacT. And of course the line issues.

Closed Thread