HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Top Pure Goal Scorer Is...

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 06:01 AM
Thalia

vCash: 500
Top Pure Goal Scorer Is...

*drumroll* http://www.mytelus.com/sports/articl...icleID=1437549

Old
10-20-2003, 06:06 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Objection!

Brett Hull is still in a league of his own, especially when you consider his age and icetime compared with Markus. He has the best goal instincts and the best shot in general by a pretty solid margain.

Naslund isn't a bold choice though, he certianly is a fair pick, but so would Milan Hedjuk or Jaromir Jagr.

Old
10-20-2003, 06:37 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Kovalchuk

Old
10-20-2003, 06:52 AM
PigPen

Pfft
It's Stu Barnes. He's going to get his first Rocket Richard this year.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Objection!

Brett Hull is still in a league of his own, especially when you consider his age and icetime compared with Markus. He has the best goal instincts and the best shot in general by a pretty solid margain.

Naslund isn't a bold choice though, he certianly is a fair pick, but so would Milan Hedjuk or Jaromir Jagr.
Substained.

Hull is indeed a great goal scorer, but he is slowing down, and his pure offensive output is going the wrong way. A legend, and one of the best goal scorers of all time - but I'm afraid he's not the best right now.

Jagr may be, but hasn't been able to proove it over a long person of time. Hejduk is more than fair of a pick, but some might argue that more than his fair share that went in were tap-ins off Forsberg's great passing.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:37 AM
King of Kelvington

Changes all the time IMO, right now its kovalchuck hands down. Stu is a close second...

Was this poll taken in the vancouver media?

naslund wouldn't be my choice......

Old
10-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

It's STILL Pavel Bure, dammit! 31 goals in his last 50 games! Stupid knee injury...

Old
10-20-2003, 08:10 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 767
I would say Hejduk or Naslund

Old
10-20-2003, 08:13 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I say Kovalchuk.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:44 AM
kruezer

Kovalchuk

Old
10-20-2003, 08:45 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel Clark Jr.
Changes all the time IMO, right now its kovalchuck hands down. Stu is a close second...

Was this poll taken in the vancouver media?

naslund wouldn't be my choice......
The Hockey News is located in Toronto.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Reign Nateo

Nobody has scored more goals in the NHL in the last 3 years than Markus Naslund.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:52 AM
Foppa

Bure would easily have been the winner imo had he had his health. That said, Naslund is a great choice. Iginla has a Richard, Hossa might be the budding superstar, and Hejduk has a Richard and 2 40+ goal seasons in the last 3 years.

But what Naslund has above all of them *right now* are three consecutive 40+ goal efforts. There is something to be said for consistancy, and Naslund has it. Yes, its too bad Jagr is unhappy, and Hejduk got hurt, and Iginla doesn't have bounds of talent around him, and Hossa has had to work his way up a deep team. But for Naslund, all the proof is in the back of the net.

Kovalchuk certainly looks to have the best predatory instincts out there right now and surely it is only a matter of time (perhaps a short time) before he stamps his name on top of this list but let's give the kid some more time.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Inscottnito

It's clearly Milan Hejduk. People resist this obvious answer for several reasons.

One is animus towards the Avalanche because of their continued embarrassment of riches.
Also because the thinking is that you could put any respectable first-liner with Forsberg and he would have similar results.
Third I think it is counter-intuitive to credit a guy as best pure goal scorer who has been maybe the 4th best overall player on his team.

But I am telling you, this guys skills as a goal scorer are second to none. His hands are the best in the game. He has uncanny hockey sense, he is always in perfect position.He has precision. He has timing. He has a rocket seeing-eye shot.He has speed and more importantly, quickness. He is a prototype. If you put him on the top line anywhere you would see similar stats.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:17 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inscottnito
It's clearly Milan Hejduk. People resist this obvious answer for several reasons.

One is animus towards the Avalanche because of their continued embarrassment of riches.
Also because the thinking is that you could put any respectable first-liner with Forsberg and he would have similar results.
Third I think it is counter-intuitive to credit a guy as best pure goal scorer who has been maybe the 4th best overall player on his team.

But I am telling you, this guys skills as a goal scorer are second to none. His hands are the best in the game. He has uncanny hockey sense, he is always in perfect position.He has precision. He has timing. He has a rocket seeing-eye shot.He has speed and more importantly, quickness. He is a prototype. If you put him on the top line anywhere you would see similar stats.
And Knuble is a true 30+ goal scorer too

Old
10-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inscottnito

I think you can certainly make an arguement for him, but how exactly is it 'clear'? You list a load of great attributes to describe him, but one could do the same with Naslund or Kovalchuk or Hossa. Best hands in the league? I'd certainly say so. But Hull has his epic blast from the slot, Naslund has hisultra-quick and accurate wrister, Iginla and Hossa have the strength and balance to power through defenders, and Bure nad Kovalchuk have explosive amounts of accerlation and can beat you with any number of tricks.

Not trying to make it sound like Hejduk is a one-trick pony...certainly he isn't. But he has his special attribute as do most of the other guys. With Bure shelved, Jagr not always entirely interested, and Kovalchuk not quite in his prime yet, there isn't one guy I'd say stands far above a few of the other guys. And thats where I'd go with naslund's consistancy.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
And Knuble is a true 30+ goal scorer too
Wow, glad you took the time to think that rebuttal out...

Old
10-20-2003, 09:25 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa
Wow, glad you took the time to think that rebuttal out...
You're welcome

Old
10-20-2003, 09:53 AM
MoS*

hejduk is good but he certainly isn't the best. he is a good 30 goal scorer on any given day of the week but he would instantly be a solid 40+ man playing alongside forsberg or sakic. naslund is a surefire 35+ man who most teams double-team unlike hejduk who is merely an extension of forsberg or sakic. the best goalscorer in the league imo is mario lemieux. if the other teams simply gave him some room to manuveor and gave him a solid teammate or two, he'd have easily 50 in 82 games

Old
10-20-2003, 10:04 AM
canucksfan

Right know it's Kovalchuk

Old
10-20-2003, 10:17 AM
kingbrath

Glen Murray, Pavol Demitra, Ilya Kovalchuk

Old
10-20-2003, 10:18 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quick question for folks here...

I'd like you to simply list how many goals you think Markus Naslund, Ilya Kovalchuk and Mario Lemieux would score a season if they played on Peter Forsberg's wing.

For Milan Hejduk, it's 50. Some clowns think he's a 30 goal scorer, yet the guy has possibly the best set of pure sniping hands in the league. He can hit the net from anywhere in the zone, and scores goals at ridiculous angles. Yes, Forsberg's passing allows him to make all of those shots, but we are talking about the best goal scoring ability, aren't we?

Hejduk puts the puck in the net whenever it comes on his stick.

Isn't that the definition of the best goal scorer?

Old
10-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brath
Glen Murray, Pavol Demitra, Ilya Kovalchuk
Demitra? That's a stretch.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:24 AM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Quick question for folks here...

I'd like you to simply list how many goals you think Markus Naslund, Ilya Kovalchuk and Mario Lemieux would score a season if they played on Peter Forsberg's wing.
Some people just can't seem to see with two eyes instead of one. Either Forsberg is great and Hejduk is a product or Forsberg is overrated. The mere idea of two great players playing on the same line and feeding off of each other just seems to boggle the minds of some (which is quite ironic for Vancovuer fans).

Until Forsberg retires or Hejduk is traded, people will continue to doubt. Let them be happy in their world and we can continue to be happy in ours, where Hejduk scores some of the more spectacular 'goal-scorer's' goals around.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:28 AM
MoS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
He can hit the net from anywhere in the zone, and scores goals at ridiculous angles.
i can too!

Closed Thread