HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

COE Thread - What to do with Northlands

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2016, 11:19 AM
  #1
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 2627
COE Thread - What to do with Northlands

Was waiting until something new came out to start a thread.

http://doniveson.ca/2016/08/30/the-n...on-northlands/

Tomorrow will be proposal day for City Council and Iverson has released his.

I really want the multi-plex to go forward. I just don't know what they are going to do with the land where the Horse Track is now.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 11:22 AM
  #2
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,397
vCash: 250
I think one of the biggest things that could help is new leadership without such a grandiose sense of "self" for what Northlands is to Edmonton.

They is definitely a need for what Northlands can provide, but they probably need to be more reasonable with what they are in the community.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 11:24 AM
  #3
Gord
Batfink!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,942
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Was waiting until something new came out to start a thread.

http://doniveson.ca/2016/08/30/the-n...on-northlands/

Tomorrow will be proposal day for City Council and Iverson has released his.

I really want the multi-plex to go forward. I just don't know what they are going to do with the land where the Horse Track is now.
the multi-plex is a great idea and I agree that it should go forward.

for the rest of the land, I don't know.
the northlands idea of a 5000 seat concert hall I think contravenes the OEG contract, and the "festival site" holding up to 160,000 was just stupid. plain and simple.

maybe just develop affordable housing on the rest of the land, perhaps.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 11:26 AM
  #4
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi McJenkins View Post
I think one of the biggest things that could help is new leadership without such a grandiose sense of "self" for what Northlands is to Edmonton.

They is definitely a need for what Northlands can provide, but they probably need to be more reasonable with what they are in the community.
Seems like the EEDC name has been brought up a lot as of late. Do we need both?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 11:28 AM
  #5
Oscar Acosta
Registered User
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,136
vCash: 1083
The horse track facility was always an underrated place to be in Edmonton, I loved it there such a fun atmosphere. I'll be sad to see it go and the last reason for me to ever travel to that area.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 11:30 AM
  #6
Gord
Batfink!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,942
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
The horse track facility was always an underrated place to be in Edmonton, I loved it there such a fun atmosphere. I'll be sad to see it go and the last reason for me to ever travel to that area.
I'm part of the reason why it's gone.
I always had fun when I went, but haven't bothered to go in about 20 years. most people I know say the same thing. just never bothered or forgot it's there.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 11:37 AM
  #7
s7ark
Moderator
Yoshi
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,432
vCash: 500
Stickied the new City of Edmonton thread.

__________________
Let's see how this plays out...
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 11:47 AM
  #8
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Anyone know roughly the time this will be discussed? I may go just for the entertainment value. Are these meetings televised or podcasted?

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 01:18 PM
  #9
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 2627
delete


Last edited by joestevens29: 08-30-2016 at 03:28 PM.
joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 02:07 PM
  #10
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!
 
Dazed and Confused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gothenburg. Sweden
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,057
vCash: 500
I really like the idea of multi-plex, and I think there's a good use for the expo centre. However I think much of the property (mainly the endless parking lots and the track should be re-developed into housing or businesses (or parkland, though with Borden Park right there I don't think that's a massive need). With such good transportation lines (Gretzky, and Yellowhead running N/S and E/W, plus the LRT and 82nd going into downtown) there's no reason why you could build this area up and help counter some of the urban sprawl hitting Edmonton.

Similar to the case of the the airport lands, all I want to see here is a good concise vision for development. Developing these areas correctly would go so far in resurrecting the area just north of the downtown core. Sadly Edmonton developers don't fill me with much hope when it comes to large scale projects, see the half developed dust bowl that is Century Park.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 03:16 PM
  #11
the pen is mightier
Registered User
 
the pen is mightier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 649
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
I really like the idea of multi-plex, and I think there's a good use for the expo centre. However I think much of the property (mainly the endless parking lots and the track should be re-developed into housing or businesses (or parkland, though with Borden Park right there I don't think that's a massive need). With such good transportation lines (Gretzky, and Yellowhead running N/S and E/W, plus the LRT and 82nd going into downtown) there's no reason why you could build this area up and help counter some of the urban sprawl hitting Edmonton.

Similar to the case of the the airport lands, all I want to see here is a good concise vision for development. Developing these areas correctly would go so far in resurrecting the area just north of the downtown core. Sadly Edmonton developers don't fill me with much hope when it comes to large scale projects, see the half developed dust bowl that is Century Park.
There is a rental tower going up in the dust bowl next year.......maybe......possibly......hopefully.

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 03:18 PM
  #12
Aceboogie
Registered User
 
Aceboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I'm part of the reason why it's gone.
I always had fun when I went, but haven't bothered to go in about 20 years. most people I know say the same thing. just never bothered or forgot it's there.
Ive went 3 or 4 times in last 4 years its a good time. Its almost one of those things people wont appreciate till its gone. Then when they have limited options for what to do on a Friday night, theyll yearn for horse racing again.

I wonder why horse racing is going? Unprofitable im guessing. But maybe just shut it down for a year or 2, keep faciliaties and in 2 years time theyll be a big enough demand for it back

Aceboogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 03:27 PM
  #13
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
Ive went 3 or 4 times in last 4 years its a good time. Its almost one of those things people wont appreciate till its gone. Then when they have limited options for what to do on a Friday night, theyll yearn for horse racing again.

I wonder why horse racing is going? Unprofitable im guessing. But maybe just shut it down for a year or 2, keep faciliaties and in 2 years time theyll be a big enough demand for it back
They are looking at taking horse racing over somewhere by River Cree Casino. They have some pretty big plans in that area that have already started.

I could see it being a lot better there too. people could really make a weekend out of it if they are from out of town.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 03:50 PM
  #14
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I'm part of the reason why it's gone.
I always had fun when I went, but haven't bothered to go in about 20 years. most people I know say the same thing. just never bothered or forgot it's there.
Once all the neighborhood off-track betting sites popped up there wasn't a reason to go there anymore. As I've posted in other threads, the clientele and atmosphere changed there after they remodeled and brought in the slot machines and simulcast wagering back in the early 90's. It wasn't as much fun to go anymore. Too many races and too many distractions to just enjoy the atmosphere of the live racing. When it was live racing only, you'd see hundreds of people in the bleachers enjoying the sun watching the horses warm up for each race. After the changes they either had their noses in a racing program or were in the casino. No need to actually go to the track for that. It's too bad really because Northlands had a beautiful race track.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2016, 03:53 PM
  #15
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They are looking at taking horse racing over somewhere by River Cree Casino. They have some pretty big plans in that area that have already started.

I could see it being a lot better there too. people could really make a weekend out of it if they are from out of town.
Do they still have live racing at Enoch Park? I haven't been out there for probably 25 years. It was a fun place too.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2016, 11:26 PM
  #16
DoyleG
Mr. Reality
 
DoyleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YEG--->YYJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 400

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2016, 08:23 AM
  #17
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post
Well at this point the finances aren't supporting anything. Bring it up and see where it goes. Maybe it's not something they start now, but in 5 years from now.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2016, 08:30 AM
  #18
Replacement*
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,856
vCash: 500
Not sure how people can support the horse racing industry. Thankful that this is now done in Edmonton. Don't bring it back.

Theres countless things wrong with the horse racing industy, the lives of these horses, the constant abuse, and those are the *lucky* ones that race. What a person could link that is wrong with this industry, and why it should not be supported is endless. People can research it. It takes one google search to give you a years worth of reading material, videos, documentaries.

Canada unfortunately has a particularly loathsome role in what happens to race horses or all those bred to be race horses.

https://canadianhorsedefencecoalitio...at-you-can-do/

I'm glad that Northlands is moving in different directions and away from this horse racing industry. Hopefully Canada in general will develop better policy and practice to stop the carnage.

Too bad the Soccer vision wasn't more duly considered. The grandstand would be adequate as is for watching soccer and a better facility then Clarke Park which is abysmal.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2016, 08:35 AM
  #19
Replacement*
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well at this point the finances aren't supporting anything. Bring it up and see where it goes. Maybe it's not something they start now, but in 5 years from now.
Indeed. Edmonton is a a very good potential market for soccer and everything from our demographics, Soccer history, soccer participation, soccer attending of past events etc suggests this.

Clarke Park as just mentioned is not a proper facility for Soccer (or anything) and really can't even be described as a facility.

Whatever happened to the "build it and they will come" philosophy. Any major sports club from the Esks to the Oilers etc would not exist if professional level of support needed to be established PRIOR to building facilities. To wit the most people that had ever watched a hockey game in the Edmonton area was 1K before Edmonton Gardens was built. 5K before the Edmonton Coliseum was built. The most people that had ever watched a football game before Clarke stadium was built was around 1K. These weren't big attendance sports here either until befitting facilities existed.

In the case of Northlands the facility is already there. All they would have to do is remove the track, place a soccer pitch close to the stands and open the gates. I would bet a Soccer club, even FC Edmonton, in the lower tier NASL would attract 5-10K out of the gate. They could also host internationals, friendlies, etc.

I wonder how much the Faths were even consulted on this.


Last edited by Replacement*: 09-01-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2016, 08:54 AM
  #20
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Indeed. Edmonton is a a very good potential market for soccer and everything from our demographics, Soccer history, soccer participation, soccer attending of past events etc suggests this.

Clarke Park as just mentioned is not a proper facility for Soccer (or anything) and really can't even be described as a facility.

Whatever happened to the "build it and they will come" philosophy. Any major sports club from the Esks to the Oilers etc would not exist if professional level of support needed to be established PRIOR to building facilities. To wit the most people that had ever watched a hockey game in the Edmonton area was 1K before Edmonton Gardens was built. 5K before the Edmonton Coliseum was built. The most people that had ever watched a football game before Clarke stadium was built was around 1K. These weren't big attendance sports here either until befitting facilities existed.

In the case of Northlands the facility is already there. All they would have to do is remove the track, place a soccer pitch close to the stands and open the gates. I would bet a Soccer club, even FC Edmonton, in the lower tier NASL would attract 5-10K out of the gate. They could also host internationals, friendlies, etc.

I wonder how much the Faths were even consulted on this.
I'm curious what they mean by 'soccer center'. I just assumed it would be a complex with multiple fields in it.

Again though they probably could talk about both and see what works best, but not going into a lot of detail seems odd.

Then again I don't know what was really talked about yesterday at 1:30.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2016, 02:37 PM
  #21
Oscar Acosta
Registered User
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,136
vCash: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not sure how people can support the horse racing industry. Thankful that this is now done in Edmonton. Don't bring it back.

Theres countless things wrong with the horse racing industy, the lives of these horses, the constant abuse, and those are the *lucky* ones that race. What a person could link that is wrong with this industry, and why it should not be supported is endless. People can research it. It takes one google search to give you a years worth of reading material, videos, documentaries.

Canada unfortunately has a particularly loathsome role in what happens to race horses or all those bred to be race horses.

https://canadianhorsedefencecoalitio...at-you-can-do/

I'm glad that Northlands is moving in different directions and away from this horse racing industry. Hopefully Canada in general will develop better policy and practice to stop the carnage. .
Because horse racing is awesome.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2016, 06:32 PM
  #22
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Indeed. Edmonton is a a very good potential market for soccer and everything from our demographics, Soccer history, soccer participation, soccer attending of past events etc suggests this.

Clarke Park as just mentioned is not a proper facility for Soccer (or anything) and really can't even be described as a facility.

Whatever happened to the "build it and they will come" philosophy. Any major sports club from the Esks to the Oilers etc would not exist if professional level of support needed to be established PRIOR to building facilities. To wit the most people that had ever watched a hockey game in the Edmonton area was 1K before Edmonton Gardens was built. 5K before the Edmonton Coliseum was built. The most people that had ever watched a football game before Clarke stadium was built was around 1K. These weren't big attendance sports here either until befitting facilities existed.

In the case of Northlands the facility is already there. All they would have to do is remove the track, place a soccer pitch close to the stands and open the gates. I would bet a Soccer club, even FC Edmonton, in the lower tier NASL would attract 5-10K out of the gate. They could also host internationals, friendlies, etc.

I wonder how much the Faths were even consulted on this.
I'm guessing the reason they didn't pursue it was because they don't really want it. This is something, like the renovation of the coliseum, that could actually benefit the citizens of Edmonton. People might actually support it unlike the ridiculous idea for the the festival site that nobody wants. Hard to figure out what these guys are thinking. They still seem to prefer delusions of grandeur over practical ideas even as they're poised to fade away.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2016, 09:24 AM
  #23
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,549
vCash: 500
I say we nuke the place and make it into our new tire fire:



Problem solved

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2016, 09:50 AM
  #24
Replacement*
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I'm guessing the reason they didn't pursue it was because they don't really want it. This is something, like the renovation of the coliseum, that could actually benefit the citizens of Edmonton. People might actually support it unlike the ridiculous idea for the the festival site that nobody wants. Hard to figure out what these guys are thinking. They still seem to prefer delusions of grandeur over practical ideas even as they're poised to fade away.
Agreed, doesn't seem like they even considered the option. I've heard nothing from local soccer orgs or from Edmonton FC that they were even consulted on this plan.

More like it was an idea they considered for 5mins and punted because it didn't involve a spaceport and space station...

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2016, 09:57 AM
  #25
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 2627
In all fairness to Northlands if they know nothing about Soccer then maybe that's why they didn't pitch the idea. They are already having issues running things they are suppose to be experts in.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.