HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion [See the warning in OP]

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2016, 02:45 PM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

vCash: 500
I have gamecenter working for world cup on my phone app (had to update the new NHL app) and browser. But isn't working on Xbox one. Is the wold cup for some reason not available on the xbox app?

Old
09-17-2016, 03:05 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I have gamecenter working for world cup on my phone app (had to update the new NHL app) and browser. But isn't working on Xbox one. Is the wold cup for some reason not available on the xbox app?
If it's like it was in the past the apps for the game systems are designed by Sony and Microsoft not the NHL. So if they haven't updated, and they use to do so the day before or first day of the season, they probably aren't there.

Old
09-17-2016, 03:35 PM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Check your credit cards, I was charged for NHL.tv on Friday 9-16-16.

09-19-2016, 04:48 AM
GaboriklessWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Yeah, me too. 123,44 EUR (138 USD) for slovakians

Old
09-19-2016, 06:05 AM
failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
So was I, yet there is nothing to watch live.

Old
09-20-2016, 12:30 PM
gdsmack267

I just signed up for it last night. Used my uncles last year and it impressed me. Much improved over the older gamecenter they used to have. The delay between NHL.TV and real time is no longer 90 seconds like it used to be. Works on my Xbox and Apple TV so i can watch it in multiple rooms

Old
09-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Ezekial
Tatar rebound 16-17

They told me I'd be charged October 1st, liars....

Old
09-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Hammettf2b
Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I felt like last year there were more non-hd games on CI (I have Dish). Don't know if that was a CI thing or a Dish thing, but every night there would be 2 or 3 games that I would just pass by because they were only in standard definition.
I had CI for Directv and the only games that were not broadcast-ed in HD were Canadian home feeds. So if a Canadian team was playing another Canadian team, your only choice was to watch it in standard definition.

09-20-2016, 07:17 PM
Ahnotamoose

Can watch World Cup games from my laptop (Chromecast to TV), but NHL.tv doesn't show the games on my PS4 (despite being logged in through Rogers GCL). Guess it isn't supported on consoles.

Old
09-21-2016, 12:44 AM
Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFors View Post
Can watch World Cup games from my laptop (Chromecast to TV), but NHL.tv doesn't show the games on my PS4 (despite being logged in through Rogers GCL). Guess it isn't supported on consoles.
I read some statement a while ago, but forget where. Yes, it is available only on specific devices. I actually didn't think the chromecast was listed as one.

Old
09-21-2016, 12:49 AM
Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaboriklessWild View Post
Yeah, me too. 123,44 EUR (138 USD) for slovakians
If you're a Slovakian in Slovakia, I think you may have been overcharged. Unless there's a different price for Slovakia, the nhl.tv/international page says it's 119.99 USD for the year.

Old
09-21-2016, 01:54 AM
CgyfanCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
If you're a Slovakian in Slovakia, I think you may have been overcharged. Unless there's a different price for Slovakia, the nhl.tv/international page says it's 119.99 USD for the year.
It is with the "TAX". I paid yesterday, Czech republic, 119 +25 USD. Was not happy about it, but it is what it is :-)

Old
09-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammettf2b View Post
I had CI for Directv and the only games that were not broadcast-ed in HD were Canadian home feeds. So if a Canadian team was playing another Canadian team, your only choice was to watch it in standard definition.
SD broadcasts of Canadian feeds hasn't happened in about 3 years on Directv CI... not sure what you're talking about here.

Old
09-21-2016, 08:15 AM
KCjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
SD broadcasts of Canadian feeds hasn't happened in about 3 years on Directv CI... not sure what you're talking about here.
that's good to know. I left directv 3 seasons ago, and one of the issues I had were canadian feeds being exclusively in SD.

Went to dish and was told 90% of feeds are HD. More like 40%. I would not recommend Center Ice with Dish.

Old
09-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCjetsfan View Post
that's good to know. I left directv 3 seasons ago, and one of the issues I had were canadian feeds being exclusively in SD.

Went to dish and was told 90% of feeds are HD. More like 40%. I would not recommend Center Ice with Dish.
100% of feeds are in HD on Directv CI.

Old
09-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Hammettf2b
Wings

Quote:
100% of feeds are in HD on Directv CI.
That is simply not true.

Quote:
Not all games are provided to DIRECTV in HD
https://support.directv.com/app/answ...9aeGJfbQ%3D%3D

Old
09-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Outdated info. This is simply to protect themselves on once in a blue moon chance it happens because of a broadcast/truck issue. It hasn't happened in 2 seasons. Several years ago, yes- many times the CBC, or Sportsnet feeds were only available in SD. It's not the case anymore.

Old
09-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Hammettf2b
Wings

Quote:
Outdated info. This is simply to protect themselves on once in a blue moon chance it happens because of a broadcast/truck issue. It hasn't happened in 2 seasons. Several years ago, yes- many times the CBC, or Sportsnet feeds were only available in SD. It's not the case anymore.
I had it last year and the Canadian feeds weren't in HD. Maybe it depends on the market your in?

Old
09-21-2016, 10:52 AM
GaboriklessWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
As CgyfanCZ said, VAT taxes for EU countries. For €123 it's still pretty cheap...

They sent this to me at the beginning of september:

Quote:
We are pleased to notify you of the annual automatic renewal of your subscription to the NHL.TV™ Yearly Package. The package is priced at last year’s same low regular full yearly price - only USD $114.99 for the entire year.
Quote:
Please note additional taxes, such as sales taxes or value added taxes, may apply in certain jurisdictions. For example, sales taxes will be charged in NE and TX, and VAT taxes will be charged in European Union countries.

Old
09-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
I had it last year and the Canadian feeds weren't in HD. Maybe it depends on the market your in?
Gotta be. In NY.. didn't miss any HD feeds at all. I don't miss many games.

Old
09-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaboriklessWild View Post
For €123 it's still pretty cheap...
I wouldn't call that "cheap" at all – especially the 20% VAT tax is brutal. If there is a single blackout over the course of the NHL season (and every single Gimmick Cup game, including preparation, already is blacked out here even after 48 hours...), I will demand a full refund. There used to be brutal NHL app blackouts here in Slovakia 3 or 4 seasons ago, but apparently not the last two seasons. We can only hope it will be the same in the new season, because – as usual – there is zero transparency from NHL.tv in these matters. You're forced to buy "a cat in the bag" every time, simply hoping it will turn out fine.

And, a príce hike for next season has already been announced: one year from today, it's going to be $120 per season + 20% tax, so that's going to amount to around €130 (if the dollar to euro ratio remains what it is today).

Old
09-21-2016, 07:23 PM
QuebeCaniac

With NHL.tv (or whatever they call it in Canada) is there any way to start a game late? E.g. a game starts at 7PM but I log in at 8PM. I start the game from the beginning and eventually come back to live by skipping the commercial and intermission breaks... Is that scenario possible?

Old
09-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Faterson

Last season, that essential functionality only worked for me on the desktop and on Apple TV, but not on iPad or iPhone. (Used to work everywhere prior to the MLB takeover.)

Old
09-22-2016, 08:14 AM
GaboriklessWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I wouldn't call that "cheap" at all
1230 regular season games + playoff games for €123. I think it's cheap.

Old
09-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Faterson

And I don't. For 8 months of hockey, that's €15.40 per month (€16.30 per month from next season). For that kind of money (to be paid for a single hockey channel), you can typically buy a cable TV package with dozens of TV channels including HD ones. I'm not saying a hockey fan like myself can't afford to buy it, but I certainly wouldn't call it cheap. Casual hockey fans certainly wouldn't even consider the purchase, given the substantial monthly charge, so this is more for the hard-core hockey fan base. I'm not sure that's the way to widen the appeal of hockey among general sports fans.

PS: You're also assuming no blackouts, which you can never be sure of with the NHL, because they are never upfront and transparent about whether there will be any blackouts, and how many. We're simply blindly hoping for there to be none, like the last couple of seasons, but very much unlike the seasons before. I got a promotional email from NHL.tv, trumpeting the Gimmick Cup in the NHL app, but the app might currently as well not exist at all, because everything and anything related to the Gimmick Cup is completely blacked out in it, and the app is pretty much dead, in terms of video. So why did they molest me with their PR email, then? The NHL doesn't have a clue, that this is the 21st century, and that any and all blackouts in the digital environment are completely unacceptable nowadays.

Closed Thread