Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Game Thread: Bruins @ Avs l 10/21/03 l 9 ET l NESN

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 03:32 AM
Stock Rocks

vCash: 500
It's funny to read the panicking Avs fans on their board.

Everyone was so busy anointing that team as the next Stanley Cup champion in the offseason, that they haven't taken to this little losing string very well.

I have no doubts that the Avs will be back with a vengeance- they simply have too much talent not too- and Lacroix will assuredly spring for a veteran goalie. But I do find it amusing that they are up in arms five games into the season.

The inflated expectations are playing a big part in the consternation I'm sure, but it's nice to know that we aren't the only board that overreacts when things aren't going well.

I was thrilled to see our boys go in and take it to them after they jumped off to the quick 1-0 lead. That was a character win last night, and once again, the goaltending played a major part in a team win. This is what we need The Cat and Razor to do for us, and so far, they're doing it. But, as Nifty and TC noted in the pre-game, Grahame and Shields were two of the top goalies in the NHL early last season before the wheels fell off. There is still a ton of hockey to be played.

But dang, it felt good to beat the Avalanche last night!

Old
10-22-2003, 03:35 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
Knuble is showing the offense he had coming out of college. He is built for that line. He may be vanilla but he's Breyers- what a shot.
What a great quote.
A lot of people don't like to give Knuble credit.
Saying he is just a product of Joe and Murray.
I just don't see that as being true.
Sure he gets his share of tap ins, but from the goals
I have seen him score, many are great shots or a
result of his hard work.

Count me in as a fan of Mike Knuble!

Old
10-22-2003, 03:50 AM
supernova

Pretty ugly game if you're Col. I'd dare say Mr. Forsberg needed a few extra icepacks after last night. He took a few two handers, a nasty cross check from LaPointe, and a solid elbow from McGillis I believe. Plus he was held off the score sheet, as was Sakic. Someone's playing some decent defence to hold these guys in check.

I think Selanne even rode the pine in the 3rd for quite a stretch as well. He & Kariya had 2 or 3 shots on net? OUCH. I think Kariya was the one who got beat to a loose puck by the speedster Gill when Sammy was sent off to the races and undressed Skoula. Things are going bad when.

Very nice start to the season, a shutout against Dallas and now a beating put on the mighty Avs. Not too shabby. Can't wait for the home & home with the Habs. Should be a great test, the smurfs are playing very well themselves.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:27 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Very good game by the Bruins! A little slow at the start and some brekdowns but all in all. it was a very solid game. They were playing hard, with intensity, they were skating and checking hard.
Bergeron is awesome. He always make the good simple play. I really like this Ax-Rolston-Bergeron line. Knuble is meant to be on the first line. I knew Joe was due for a 3-4 points game. It came at a right time.
Now if Zino could come and play with sammy and lapointe and deliver, we could put green with mccarthy and zamuner on the fourth line and be as deep as anyone in the East.

Bring the canes and Hill!!!

Go B's Go!

Old
10-22-2003, 08:07 AM
sfbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
MOC made a good call by crapping on Thornton...it woke him up.

I'll still reserve my right to criticize Joe until I see him drive to the net and get a goal. That how the big guys score. Right now his game is very Antoine Walker, to use a current analogy...sluggish, beefy, gritty when it's convenient (he floated tonnes tonight-Muzz had to do all the back checking because Joe couldn't be bothered), highly skilled, and clever...and not so hot in the post-season.

Dominant as a player can be? Joe? Tonight? Really??? Just because we beat the Avs 4-1? No way. Joe played well. You take away his uncanny passing and his game diminshes significantly. I'll take Knuble and Muzz and Rolston over Joe tonight.
I'm not sure we watched the same game. Joe was all over the ice all night. I would love to see him drive the net more too, but tonight he clearly was deferring to getting his mates rolling -- he could've scored the Knuble goal himself, but this is what Captains do.

Joe is probably not going to ever be a 50 goal guy, he's just too unselfish -- more like 35 and 65 assists, which is fine by me.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:38 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
It's funny to read the panicking Avs fans on their board.
I know it's really early, but I wonder if the Avs are headed for Rangerdom. The Rags and the Avs both spend the dough, but the Avs always built a team, whereas the Rangers just signed the most hyped guy available. Could the Avalanche have fallen victim to the same thing and now just have too many guys who want the puck? Seems like they all go for the fancy, breakaway goal or the pretty pass.

Certainly, it's early, and that Avs team could double as the Western Conference All-Star team, but how much is too much?

Old
10-22-2003, 09:52 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
I know it's really early, but I wonder if the Avs are headed for Rangerdom. The Rags and the Avs both spend the dough, but the Avs always built a team, whereas the Rangers just signed the most hyped guy available. Could the Avalanche have fallen victim to the same thing and now just have too many guys who want the puck? Seems like they all go for the fancy, breakaway goal or the pretty pass.

Certainly, it's early, and that Avs team could double as the Western Conference All-Star team, but how much is too much?
I was thinking the same thing last night: the 'Rangerization' of the Avalanche.

It's an imperfect analogy because the Avs develop some excellent home-grown talent and tend to sign character UFAs.

There may be too many race horses and too few plough horses in that lineup.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:57 AM
TheBigBadB

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing as well..They reminded me of the rangers, very nifty with the puck, but dont crash the net and always look for the pretty plays...and half hearts the defensive effort...Hopefully they'll wake up...they have a great team, they just need to play as one....

Old
10-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
Ah, no way. The Avs have an amazing collection of talent. Except in net and except behind the bench! There is no group of forwards like that and the combination of Foote, Blake, Skoula and Morris is solid.

NYR are a bunch of losers who are accustomed to losing. The Avs have some great character players. One thing they probably need: a legit power forward. If they had that kind of pot stirrer, I think you'd see them ignite.

As is, I don't think the goalie can carry the load.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
not to take away from a great game and win last night...but... I don't equate the Avs with the Rags...

As a matter of fact I believe that the Avs will get their act together before the Holidays.. That team scares the hell outta me and I'm glad we caught them while they are still sorting out things...

just my $.02

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-22-2003, 10:27 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

The first period was about as run and gun as you can get in the NHL today- it was like the days of the 70's when players would conserve energy in the defensive zone so they'd have something left in the tank when they went out after the game...I thought either team could have scored atleast 3 and maybe 4. The Avs did hit alteast 2 or 3 posts and if one or two went in the game may have been different. In the end they will be fine because of their defense but they may have to deal a prospect and pick for Burke or someone- Dafoe? Hume? if their goaltending struggles. It may not- most of the Bruins goals if not all would have been scored on anyone imo.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:36 AM
sfbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
not to take away from a great game and win last night...but... I don't equate the Avs with the Rags...

As a matter of fact I believe that the Avs will get their act together before the Holidays.. That team scares the hell outta me and I'm glad we caught them while they are still sorting out things...

just my $.02
I agree. Give them a few more weeks to gel before we trumpet the downfall of the Avs. They really do need a few more grinders though.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbruin
I agree. Give them a few more weeks to gel before we trumpet the downfall of the Avs. They really do need a few more grinders though.

yup...the main board has reports that the Avs dealt Battaglia to the Caps for Konowolchuck ( sp ? )...

I knew they wouldn't sit idle...

Old
10-22-2003, 02:25 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
yup...the main board has reports that the Avs dealt Battaglia to the Caps for Konowolchuck ( sp ? )...

the avs gave up jonas johansson along with battaglia, which was a little surprising. this kid was a very highly regarded youngster in their organization, so either lacroix thinks konowalchuk has another level, or the kid has been overhyped. as we know from landon wilson and anders myrvold and samuel pahlsson...well...lacroix doesn't give up top talent unless there's a reason.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:20 PM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Quote:

Wow, this was a great move by the AVS IMO...They had almost no gritty type players that are willing to pay the price which is needed in the playoffs...You won't win in the playoffs with run and gun no matter how much offense you have...Great Trade for the AVS IMO!!!!

Old
10-23-2003, 04:48 AM
Eat It

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmhuskies
Wow, this was a great move by the AVS IMO...They had almost no gritty type players that are willing to pay the price which is needed in the playoffs...You won't win in the playoffs with run and gun no matter how much offense you have...Great Trade for the AVS IMO!!!!
You won't win with out a #1 net minder either. They are stacked everywhere except where they need it the most.

Old
10-23-2003, 12:47 PM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat It
You won't win with out a #1 net minder either. They are stacked everywhere except where they need it the most.

Very true: they do IMO need vertran goalie(burke maybe)....Also IMO the loss of De Vries is going to hurt them more than people think...But getting Konawalchuck(sp) is a VERY good start...

Closed Thread