HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Thread '16-17 | Sekera out 6-9 months (May '17)

Old
07-09-2017, 02:56 PM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
http://lowetide.ca/2017/07/09/sekera-on-track/

According to an article in Sport.sk, Andrej Sekera is on track and recovering well from surgery. An injury that could take nine months in terms of recovering, the player believes will take him just six months.

Last edited by Soli: 07-09-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Don't quote his whole blog post. LT deserves the clicks.
McAsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 03:07 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Reggie MD with the self diagnosis. Promising, but I expect he'll be labouring on that knee for the whole season and won't be the #2/3 defenseman we know him to be.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Reggie MD with the self diagnosis. Promising, but I expect he'll be labouring on that knee for the whole season and won't be the #2/3 defenseman we know him to be.
I'll be more optimistic and say he won't look right until after the Christmas break. There's no replacement for using the knee in actual game situations and no replacement for time off.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 05:14 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Depending how the season goes maybe we won't need him. Could allow him to recover for a longer period of time if guys like Benning and Nurse can continue to grow.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Nah... That injury takes 6 months anyway. If you look players in the past with that injury it was 6 months or sooner. The whole 6-9 month timeline was the Oilers giving a mega long timeline to cover themselves. Always better to under promise and over deliver vs over promise and under deliver. Nearly every team gives these super long time tables and player always returns and the low end

If he misses any games after Dec 1 Ill be blown away

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 11:11 AM
s7ark
Yoshi

Sekera is going to have a poor next season. Major injuries always take a full year+ to recover from. I expect Sekera will come back, he'll struggle and some of the fanbase will turn on him and want to knee jerk him out of town before 'the rest of the league sees that he's done'.

I just hope the Oilers ride it out and we can expect a solid, vet top 4 D back for the 18/19 season.

07-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Sekera is going to have a poor next season. Major injuries always take a full year+ to recover from. I expect Sekera will come back, he'll struggle and some of the fanbase will turn on him and want to knee jerk him out of town before 'the rest of the league sees that he's done'.

I just hope the Oilers ride it out and we can expect a solid, vet top 4 D back for the 18/19 season.
This could very well happen. Scary thing is is that some portion of Oiler fans actually might get deluded into thinking Russell at 4 mil is a better option than Sekera at 5 mil and pressure Sekera to be traded if there is a cap crunch. Even though Sekera is 100 times the D

Old
07-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
This could very well happen. Scary thing is is that some portion of Oiler fans actually might get deluded into thinking Russell at 4 mil is a better option than Sekera at 5 mil and pressure Sekera to be traded if there is a cap crunch. Even though Sekera is 100 times the D
They're both gone long term anyway, Sekera will be dumped for cap reasons once his NMC moves to a limited NTC. Russell will be dumped in the final year of his deal.

Both are here just to be veterans that shelter our younger kids as they develop, not sure why anyone gets so hung up on them being like "core" components.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They're both gone long term anyway, Sekera will be dumped for cap reasons once his NMC moves to a limited NTC. Russell will be dumped in the final year of his deal.

Both are here just to be veterans that shelter our younger kids as they develop, not sure why anyone gets so hung up on them being like "core" components.
I hope we keep Sekera around as long as possible, Id make some moves just to keep him. Russell can get dealed whenever but Sekera will be a important piece for a while, even if hes pricey

Old
07-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Spawn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

No one is getting hung up on them being core members. But we don't have better options. Especially regarding Sekera. We're going to be lucky if any of our young d-men currently below Sekera end up better than him.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:27 PM
LTIR

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

i like how things are speculated as facts around here...

McDavid had a poor season last year because he had a major injury his rookie season!! its true story!

Also for those comparing Sekera to Russell... one is a shin pad buster then other a shin pad bustee!

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
i like how things are speculated as facts around here...

McDavid had a poor season last year because he had a major injury his rookie season!! its true story!

Also for those comparing Sekera to Russell... one is a shin pad buster then other a shin pad bustee!
there's a big difference between broken collarbone and torn ACL

I read up on collarbone injuries at the time of McDavid's injuries, and it's an injury that makes you stronger, because they add extra bracing and it's not a joint.

ACL injuries are known to impact skating, which is a huge deal. I'd say Sekera isn't guaranteed to have a bad year but we should prepare for that. I think we have an outside chance of Benning or Nurse elevating their play to fill the gap respectably.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote