HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs & Oilers close to "deal"

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Habsaku

vCash: 500
Terrible deal, makes no sense, we only get 1 legit NHLer at this point and he isnt that good. How does this improve our team?

Old
01-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
Bad deal. If the key player coming is Robbie Schremp, then it could be worse than the Roy deal. Schremp has a lot of skills, but he has a questionnable attitude and floats most of the time. He's a little like Ribs, in that he'll put up decent numbers, but you'll never win a cup with a guy like him as a key player. Believe, people will want to trade him after 2-3 years.
Just like London would never win a Memorial Cup with a guy like him as a key player?

Schremp... I don't think Montreal is the place for him either. And I don't really know what he'll end up like as an NHL player. A couple of years ago, I thought he was pretty hopeless. I remember thinking Corey Perry was pretty hopeless before last year too. But these guys have learned something in London, for sure. I wouldn't count Schremp out at all. I don't know if he'll ever be quite as amicable at times as Brett Hull or Jeremy Roenick can be, but in the right environment, his "colour" will actually be a positive, not a negative. He plays pretty hard these days, and I think he has a lot of drive. Topping out as the next Jimmy Carson or Rob Brown may not be his true calling after all, but it's hard to say.

Definitely leave him in Edmonton to do it, though. He might be Edmonton's best prospect (or not), but there are probably half a dozen prospects from their organization that would make more sense to trade for. If you wanted to make up an even remotely reasonable sounding trade rumour, that is. (Which this one clearly wasn't).

Old
01-17-2006, 01:07 PM
gars59

schremp is the next lemieux for oiler fan

it's funny , on the oiler board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
wow, I am glad I went to bed early last night.

I listened to a montreal newspaper guy yesterday on calgary's sports station and he thinks something is going to happen with theo because he makes too much money for his performance and is playing in a glass bowl in montreal. A move makes sense but they have to have someone coming back. Is COnklin enogh or does gainey have a second deal worked out?

The only way I could see schremp involved is if komarisek is comming back. Montreal has extra depth dmen and komarasek is their 5/6th guy right now. Lowe has always liked him.

Laraque + ethan would be more than enough to get those two players as they address what montreal needs more than anything - heart and physical play.

laraque + ethan for Jose

laraque + ethan + staois for jose and komarisek

Old
01-17-2006, 01:09 PM
oli500

Sure were not getting a star player in return but you people forget that theodore has been one of the worst goalies this year in term of GAA. Its funny when you guys talk about theodore you guys including me are bashing him tell theres no tomorow and when it comes to trade talk you want some stars player in return when hes been no were near a star caliber player this year. Wake Up people, this is not nhl 2006.

My opinion on the trade

Yeah were not getting a star player but were getting some quality players that can fill some holes we have. Were also getting 3 or 4 players that wont cost much and the most important think is were getting rid of theodores big contract wich he hasent earn this year. Think about it with that extra money we can get a star player in the upcoming free agent class on top of the players we all ready got. Also we allready have two big contracts over 4 mill and we still have to sign koivu to a long term deal. With theodore out of the way, were going to be able to lock up koivu long term something im not sure we could do with the 5,3 we ow theodore.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Sure were not getting a star player in return but you people forget that theodore has been one of the worst goalies this year in term of GAA. Its funny when you guys talk about theodore you guys including me are bashing him tell theres no tomorow and when it comes to trade talk you want some stars player in return when hes been no were near a star caliber player this year. Wake Up people, this is not nhl 2006.

My opinion on the trade

Yeah were not getting a star player but were getting some quality players that can fill some holes we have. Were also getting 3 or 4 players that wont cost much and the most important think is were getting rid of theodores big contract wich he hasent earn this year. Think about it with that extra money we can get a star player in the upcoming free agent class on top of the players we all ready got. Also we allready have two big contracts over 4 mill and we still have to sign koivu to a long term deal. With theodore out of the way, were going to be able to lock up koivu long term something im not sure we could do with the 5,3 we ow theodore.
As much as I think the Theo's best days (the old NHL) are behing him, you still have some fans, some HFboards fans and others that still believe in him and still think he could regain his 2001 form. And this is from people that see every single Habs' game......Don't you think that the other teams could see Theo as high as those fans even higher based on what he did in the past??? That's how we should see if a trade is possible. Not based on another fluke goal he had yesterday, even though he did good but based on what the other team could think. If you don't have a tremendous return, better than Roy's return, then don't do it.

Some of us thinks he's finished (or close to be), some of us thinks he's a star that only needs his confidence back.....What if some GM's thinks he could still be a star??? Then get the return you should have when dealing a star or don't deal him.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
I know you were joking, that's why I said that...and you are right, I do tend to try and think like a GM, which is why that deal makes no sense on any level you look at it...

Salary dump or not, it's horrible, if a salary dump is all were looking for, we can get a better one...

Either way, if Oilers want Theodore...let's start talking Jason Smith + Raffi Torres + a prospect...
we're not the ones looking to even salary, they are... every good value in Edmonton except Smth or Pronger is paid cheap, there crap are the only ones getting paid, weird i know.if a trade is going to happen, it's gonna be HUGE cause theycan't just send us 4 players for 1, where would they fit?

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev
Bulis-Ribeiro-Zednick
Higgins-Bonk-Sunstrom
Pleckanek-Bégin-?

that's a line-up that's sure of playing every single night without anyone being scrached.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
shayne

this is B*ll&hit for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph
Reports out of NYC, Buffalo & Edmonton are suggesting the Habs are close to dealing Jose Theodore to the Oilers for schremp, conklin, laraque & dvorak.

opinions?
laraque has little place in the new nhl, conklin is no better then huet or danis and shremp although talented is a bit of a nut and dvorak(well whatever)

horcroff and a 1st rd pick might work

Old
01-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Yeah were not getting a star player but were getting some quality players that can fill some holes we have.
That's the point see. We're not filling ANY hole here. We're just creating one. What holes could those guys possibly be filling? A useless overpaid goon who no longer fights? A crappy backup? An underachieving softy? An other small skilled prospect? Tell me which holes we're filling if we do this deal.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:

My opinion on the trade

Ridiculous...I really can't believe the crap i'm reading on these boards today...

You guys really think Theodore is as bad as he's shown in his 30 odd games this year...you really think he's a goalie that's a + 3.00 GAA and - .900 sv pct?

Whether or not Theodore is still as good as he was 3 or 4 years ago, he's not nearly as bad as he's shown this year, and that makes him better than anything that Edmonton has right now...

I have no qualms about trading #60, but if we are, get some players that address some of our needs, namely defense and grit...

Old
01-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Ridiculous...I really can't believe the crap i'm reading on these boards today...

You guys really think Theodore is as bad as he's shown in his 30 odd games this year...you really think he's a goalie that's a + 3.00 GAA and - .900 sv pct?

Whether or not Theodore is still as good as he was 3 or 4 years ago, he's not nearly as bad as he's shown this year, and that makes him better than anything that Edmonton has right now...

I have no qualms about trading #60, but if we are, get some players that address some of our needs, namely defense and grit...
Like I said, unfortunately I do believe Theo is an average goalie based on the new standards in this so-called new NHL but you know what that's not what is important here. Because you've said it yourself, he's not as bad as he's showing right now and even Conklin and Markkanen both at the same time are worst than Theo is RIGHT NOW. So imagine when he'll get better (though he's not going to be where he was, just my opinion of course...)

And I'm pretty sure, if for example, some scouts saw yesterday's game, that there's some glimpse of star goaltending in him but he needs to built his confidence a little more, we still can have pretty good return for him if we decide to trade him, namely what you said which is defense, grit and size if possible. Though prospects and picks could be good too....

Old
01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
JF

I just don't see the logic of trading Theodore for an amazing duo of Huet/Conklin or Huet/Danis when we are in a playoffs hunt. In fact, the rumored trade has no logic at all for us and I don't see why eveybody is getting excited for. NO ONE has ever guessed a Gainey trade.

Old
01-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF
I just don't see the logic of trading Theodore for an amazing duo of Huet/Conklin or Huet/Danis when we are in a playoffs hunt. In fact, the rumored trade has no logic at all for us and I don't see why eveybody is getting excited for. NO ONE has ever guessed a Gainey trade.
Could be right depending on do we force it to be a part of the big show this year or pray that we deal to be better for the next 5 without Theo. Is totally risky so it really depends what the management sees that we don't.

As far as guessing a Gainey trade, I think people think they could guess a Lowe trade better...

Old
01-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
Soem guy on th eOilers board suggested

Moreau + Laraque for Theodore and Komisarek.

See..... its not only Habs fans that come up with lobsided proposals.

Hey ...you have to considered that George is big and strong

Old
01-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF
Agreed, and very few have guessed a Gainey move. There is no way anyone knows what he has in mind unless he tells you.

Lord knows where this sort of gossip comes from. It's no more than wishful thinking and idle speculation.

Old
01-17-2006, 02:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
No way this is going to happen, Gainey is not an idiot. Just forget about it now.

Old
01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
maci4life

theo for pronger

where do we sign??

I WISH!!!

Old
01-17-2006, 02:43 PM
goalchenyuk

i think that there is a big mistake ;

the rumor didn't involve Theodore .

The offer is that if we take both Conklin and Laraque , the Oilers will give us Schremp and Dvorak to thank us .

the Habs don't have any player to give to the Oilers...

Old
01-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Hockey_Nut99

vCash:
Team 1260 never brings up trade rumours unless they are legit. They knew about the Peca trade the night before. Jason Gregor doesn't want to say his sources name, but says he is very credible.

He said a deal is being negotiated and the thing holding it up is that 1 extra player Montreal wants (Most likely Bergeron). I believe negotiations are going on, but tha doesn't mean a deals close.

At least a rumour keeps the boards really interesting and busy.

Old
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
oli500

Quote:

Man you got to face the true that theodore is not worth a star player right now, Ive said it before that theodores value is at a all time low right now and that if we hold on to him his value might go up if he has some strong games. We cant dicide when hes going to be traded, thats up to gainey. What I said in the previous post is that considering his value Right now it would be a good trade. We get some grit like you mention in laraque and if they trow in a defencemen we get some defense. What I said was not crap, theodore has been bad this year as even in his last couple games hes let in some real softies in and if were in tight games we cant have that from are supose star netminder. Theodore is one of many reasons that were in 9th right now and thats a fact. If we had strong goaltending we would of been in 5 or 6 right now not fighting for a playoff spot.

Old
01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Artyukhin*

Emmanuel Fernandez

Old
01-17-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Man you got to face the true that theodore is not worth a star player right now, Ive said it before that theodores value is at a all time low right now and that if we hold on to him his value might go up if he has some strong games. We cant dicide when hes going to be traded, thats up to gainey. What I said in the previous post is that considering his value Right now it would be a good trade. We get some grit like you mention in laraque and if they trow in a defencemen we get some defense. What I said was not crap, theodore has been bad this year as even in his last couple games hes let in some real softies in and if were in tight games we cant have that from are supose star netminder. Theodore is one of many reasons that were in 9th right now and thats a fact. If we had strong goaltending we would of been in 5 or 6 right now not fighting for a playoff spot.
When did I ever say he was worth a star player?

All i'm saying is that the garbage that's been reported coming back, isn't worth Theodore, even at his current level...

Laraque is a goon who doesn't fight anymore = useless...
Dvorak is a Bulis clone with even less scoring ability = useless...
Schremp is an unknown but yet another smallish offensive prospect to add to our ranks = useless...

I don't have a problem with trading Theodore, although I think right now is probably the worst possible time to do it, but if Gainey does decide to pull the trigger, he'll address our team needs, not creat more needs...

Like I said, we need defensman, so Jason Smith or Steve Staios would be coming the other way, along with another forward and/or prospect....

If they're not interested in that, it's better to keep #60 or look to other teams

Old
01-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph
Reports out of NYC, Buffalo & Edmonton are suggesting the Habs are close to dealing Jose Theodore to the Oilers for schremp, conklin, laraque & dvorak.

opinions?

No thank you...
I'll keep Jose... We aren't out of the picture yet... but if we pull this deal off, we're further in the hole that's for sure...

Schremp's a hotdog, Conklin's a sieve this year, Laraque I want no part of, and Dvorak sucks.

Old
01-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Mathletic

I still want Stoll

Old
01-17-2006, 04:49 PM
BORAT

pffff

Is this board on BS mode again ?

Old
01-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT
Is this board on BS mode again ?

Yeah no doubt... This trade sounds appallingly rediculous...

If Gainey did this deal, Montreal should riot again.
Ah screw it... lets just riot anyways...

Closed Thread