HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers offered Poti to Boston for Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 04:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers offered Poti to Boston for Leetch

Quote:
A well-placed source here yesterday told The Post that Glen Sather last month offered Tom Poti to the Bruins in exchange for Leetch, but was rebuffed by Boston GM Mike O'Connell. There was, we're told, no counter-offer, and there have been no talks since then
http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/61679.htm

Stay away

Old
01-17-2006, 05:09 AM
GarretJoseph*

I don't want a Leetch return THIS SEASON, but if its Poti for Leetch, I'll take Leetch.. Only if he takes Poti's position. I don't want him for anybody else.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:25 AM
tors10

id love to see leetch come back and finish his career in ny. but this trade makes no sense to me in the long term. i know you guys hate poti but i think overall hes had a decent season so far. leetch would give us much more offense from the blueline but hes too old to trade him straight up for poti.

Old
01-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Scotty Hockey

Hell, I would take a bag of pucks and a stick for Poti, to get Leetch would be amazing. Give up a guy who can't play defense for a Garden icon ... hmmm ... deal!

Old
01-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tors10
id love to see leetch come back and finish his career in ny. but this trade makes no sense to me in the long term. i know you guys hate poti but i think overall hes had a decent season so far. leetch would give us much more offense from the blueline but hes too old to trade him straight up for poti.
Have you watched? He has given up more goals (either by being beaten or taking dumb penalties) than he has helped out on. Poti has no future; he shows no signs of improvement, desire or passion ... why keep him? Leetch could step in and provide solid defense and veteran leadership. Hell, make him captain ...

As Conn Smyth said (tribute to the quote thread) "Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."

Old
01-17-2006, 08:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tors10

Long term? They're both free agents at the end of the season. Leetch is better defenseman offensively and better defensively. Come on people, this is Tom Poti we're talking about. Have our standards in regard to Poti fallen so far that his slightly improved play has rendered him so irreplaceable?

01-17-2006, 08:46 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Long term? They're both free agents at the end of the season. Leetch is better defenseman offensively and better defensively. Come on people, this is Tom Poti we're talking about. Have our standards in regard to Poti fallen so far that his slightly improved play has rendered him so irreplaceable?

if we can do something like Leetch and rights to Huml for Poti and rights to rachunek, that is something that should be done.

Old
01-17-2006, 08:49 AM
frohli44

Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged
Hell, I would take a bag of pucks and a stick for Poti, to get Leetch would be amazing. Give up a guy who can't play defense for a Garden icon ... hmmm ... deal!
I think Poti is one of our most valuable defensman and I value him. Unfortunately hes a solid choice to go because he makes a lot of money so if we bring in a high cost player like Leetch we need to shed some cap as well, but unlike in the beginning of the year I am in no rush to move Poti...start the bashing

Old
01-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Canadude*

I'll take Leetch for the last 30 games and then he can retire in peace. I don't see how it can hurt the team but I wouldn't trade Poti for him. The Rangers can probably get him for next to nothing.

Old
01-17-2006, 09:01 AM
DarthSather99

The year wouldn't be complete without one Leetch rumor of him returning.

Old
01-17-2006, 09:05 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadude
I'll take Leetch for the last 30 games and then he can retire in peace. I don't see how it can hurt the team but I wouldn't trade Poti for him. The Rangers can probably get him for next to nothing.
I don't think so. There are going to be other bidders for his services.

Also, I take this Brooks' article with the usual grain of salt.

What I did like about the article were Brian's quotes. It should dispel all the malarkey about him refusing to play for Sather.

Old
01-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Canadude*

There may be other bidders but I am willing to bet the Boston would accomodate a move to NYR if Brian hinted that is something he would be ok with

I always ignored the crap about him never wanting to play for the Rangers again as well. His wife and kids still live in Manhattan for crying out loud. It would probably be a huge relief for him to go 'home'

like I said... it's basically 30 games and possibly on a playoff run with the Rangers and then it's a career for Brian. What the heck bring him back. It's not going to stop the rebuild or anything and it would be a really nice fell good moment in a year that has been nothing less than a nice suprise for fans of the Rangers

Old
01-17-2006, 10:46 AM
AXN

It was a nice try.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:35 AM
shoothepuck

If it's true, the fact that even Boston didn't want Poti should show to everyone, what Tom is realy worth, (not much).

Old
01-17-2006, 01:29 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Agreed... Boston's pitiful, but Leetch's performance shows his career is winding down... the people who want him back are just sentimental. He had excellent years here and he'll always be a Ranger, but we have no need for him.

I laugh because some people whine about Poti and Rozsival (both under 30) taking spots from Baranka and Pock, but the same folks pine for the return of a 38-year-old Leetch. Makes a lot of sense.

Call me a traitor, but I give Slats a lot of credit. He built the team that so many of us still love to ***** about... but we're winning. I didn't like the Leetch trade at first, but it's panned out well, so in hindsight, I support it.

Old
01-17-2006, 02:53 PM
MMMcasserole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
if we can do something like Leetch and rights to Huml for Poti and rights to rachunek, that is something that should be done.
Why? What's the point of that? Do the Rangers need a bottom 6 forward who isn't even good defensively?

Old
01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
He likes every player under 30 years old.

Old
01-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Taz

he also tries to trade them for, Hossa Poti and the rights to rachunek every trade idea/rumour

give it a rest mate

Old
01-17-2006, 04:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

If you are in a rebuild, why would the Bruins trade Leetch for Poti? What the Bruins will want (and for that matter any other playoff seller) are young players and draft choices. I agree with the guy who said our first and second this year are off limits. What it will take to make this or any other significant deal is a) draft choices or b) players another teams wants that we deem expendable (i.e. Max)

Old
01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
C'mon, SBOB. I'm one of the biggest Poti haters on the boards and even I give him props for his superb play as of late.

Old
01-17-2006, 04:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
C'mon, SBOB. I'm one of the biggest Poti haters on the boards and even I give him props for his superb play as of late.
I think superb is going too far. He's been better. He's still not producing offensively on a consistent basis. Still not enough to make up for his defensive short comings.

Look, I'm not ready to say that this guy has turned the corner. Lets see him keep it up for a full season (and by that, this team next year).

I don't let his recent play keep me from making a move for a guy who is an upgrade over him. And Leetch is still that.

Old
01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I think superb is going too far. He's been better. He's still not producing offensively on a consistent basis. Still not enough to make up for his defensive short comings.

Look, I'm not ready to say that this guy has turned the corner. Lets see him keep it up for a full season (and by that, this team next year).

I don't let his recent play keep me from making a move for a guy who is an upgrade over him. And Leetch is still that.
I don't know, but I see him blocking some shots and making very smart defensive plays. He's really been our best d-man for the last month or so (not that that's saying much...) in all honesty.

Old
01-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
I don't know, but I see him blocking some shots and making very smart defensive plays. He's really been our best d-man for the last month or so (not that that's saying much...) in all honesty.
I am sorry, but are you drunk? Yes he blocked a few shots, but like the other night, how many times has he gone down and the forward just skated around or passed past him? And the guy opens the gate easier than a motivated three year old and lets forwards walk in to the crease.

I think far and above Rozy has been the top defenseman and would be even better if he wasn't called upon to be the Number 1 guy. Poti has improved his play by finally stepping into the action but I still cringe when the puck comes to his side of the ice, especially on a special teams - kill or power play ...

Old
01-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged
I am sorry, but are you drunk? Yes he blocked a few shots, but like the other night, how many times has he gone down and the forward just skated around or passed past him? And the guy opens the gate easier than a motivated three year old and lets forwards walk in to the crease.

I think far and above Rozy has been the top defenseman and would be even better if he wasn't called upon to be the Number 1 guy. Poti has improved his play by finally stepping into the action but I still cringe when the puck comes to his side of the ice, especially on a special teams - kill or power play ...
No, I'm not drunk. I'm just not a blind hater of Poti.

Who the hell has been better than Poti this past month? Malik? No. Roz? No. Tyutin? Close, but no. Kaspar? No. Strudwick? No.

He's been great for us the past month. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If I'm drunk than you obviously never watch Rangers games.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Edge

I'm mixed on the deal.

I just really worry about Leetch returning and just not being the player he even was two years ago.

I just don't really know if its an upgrade or if its just a smoke and mirror trick.

Closed Thread