HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers offered Poti to Boston for Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Bretzky*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph
I don't want a Leetch return THIS SEASON, but if its Poti for Leetch, I'll take Leetch.. Only if he takes Poti's position. I don't want him for anybody else.
So you'd take Leetch for arguably our best defensemen over the past 10 games? But you wouldn't take him for Rozsival's spot?

Old
01-17-2006, 06:35 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Who the hell has been better than Poti this past month? Malik? No. Roz? No. Tyutin? Close, but no. Kaspar? No. Strudwick? No.
To be honest, you are not really choosing from a whole lot. Aside from Kasper, we have Malik (a serviceable #5/6), Rozsival (he does not make even the third pairing on most teams), Toots (a rookie) & Strudwick (a serviceable #7 defensemen). Saying that Poti has been better than them is not really such high praise.
Yes, Poti has been better, but if he does not pile up points, then, essentially he is useless.

Old
01-17-2006, 07:05 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
To be honest, you are not really choosing from a whole lot. Aside from Kasper, we have Malik (a serviceable #5/6), Rozsival (he does not make even the third pairing on most teams), Toots (a rookie) & Strudwick (a serviceable #7 defensemen). Saying that Poti has been better than them is not really such high praise.
Yes, Poti has been better, but if he does not pile up points, then, essentially he is useless.
And just to add to that.... The fact is Poti has to be better than those guys. The expectation is that this guy is a top 4 defenseman at least, or at least that was the expectation when he was brought here from Edmonton. But as others have pointed out, it comes back to having watched Poti suck for so long that now that he is playing adequately everybody gets excited like he's playing phenomenally. Wow, he's been playing over 20 minutes a game and he only gets burned a few times a game rather than every other play! Now if he just gets a point every few games we can hand him the Norris!

Old
01-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982
Wow, he's been playing over 20 minutes a game and he only gets burned a few times a game
name them

Old
01-17-2006, 07:32 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
No, I'm not drunk. I'm just not a blind hater of Poti.

Who the hell has been better than Poti this past month? Malik? No. Roz? No. Tyutin? Close, but no. Kaspar? No. Strudwick? No.

He's been great for us the past month. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If I'm drunk than you obviously never watch Rangers games.
That just shows you how bad our defense is, if you think Poiti is playing great then we have problems. He has been average at best.

Bring back Leetch.

Old
01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5
That just shows you how bad our defense is, if you think Poiti is playing great then we have problems. He has been average at best.

Bring back Leetch.
Sure but not at the expense of Poti, it's not like we are swimming in NHL caliber defenseman here.

Old
01-17-2006, 07:55 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-NYR-9968
So you'd take Leetch for arguably our best defensemen over the past 10 games? But you wouldn't take him for Rozsival's spot?
No one said Tyutin's going anywhere.

Old
01-17-2006, 07:58 PM
KasparKrunch

trading poti wouldnt kill us. he prolly wouldn't resign with us anyway, seeing as how he has been benched a few times.d poti is playing as good as we will ever play right now. he doesn't hit,all he does is focus on offense, and he is slight above average at that at best.

Old
01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Brian Leetch can play on my team anyday of the week. Poti for Leetch would be a steal for the Rangers even if Leetch is 75% the player he used to be.

Old
01-17-2006, 08:49 PM
bubba5

Poti is gonna leave anyway.
Leetch..Leetch...Leetch

Old
01-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Block More Shots

I was thinking...if Hossa can keep stepping up and putting some points up, his trade value may rise. It's possible that Hossa could be packaged with something to bring Leetch in. I'm just not sure that doing defenseman for defenseman is such a good idea. Even with Kaspar in the lineup, we're still weak on the blueline.

I'm not the biggest Poti supporter but he's still valuable to the D corps we have...I can't believe I'm saying this but he's been one of our most consistent defenseman the past month and a half to two months. If you wanna talk about bad, let's talk Michal Rozsival. If there's someone who should be dealt, it's him.

Old
01-17-2006, 09:05 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy

last month, Poti was offered for two Thai hookers.

Poti was shopped...nothing new. He's finally turned it around a bit. However, he's still a headcase and mercurial. Better to move him when his value is up.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:47 PM
stungun

leetch will go to the highest bidder. the bruins will look for young players and picks not poti a soon to be ufa. some other playoff bound team in need of a little veteran leadership and defensive/offensive help will offer more than poti is worth as a ufa this summer.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:31 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-NYR-9968

You think Boston would rather Poti or Rozsival? Im not even gonna mention Rozsival for Leetch, thats a joke.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:32 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
No one said Tyutin's going anywhere.
Tyutin!

Old
01-18-2006, 06:10 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Long term? They're both free agents at the end of the season. Leetch is better defenseman offensively and better defensively. Come on people, this is Tom Poti we're talking about. Have our standards in regard to Poti fallen so far that his slightly improved play has rendered him so irreplaceable?
i can't believe this

poti, even after improving his play STILL SUCKS.. this is a no brainer for the rangers, boston would be better off getting a package of young players/picks in return for leetch though and would be stupid to make this deal

Old
01-18-2006, 08:01 AM
94now

Poti plays his last season as a Ranger regardless. Leach will become Ranger later this season regardless. The trade makes no sense for Boston. They know Rangers will go after Brian anyway, so they would want someone like Pock or Strudwick instead of Poti.

Old
01-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now
Poti plays his last season as a Ranger regardless. Leach will become Ranger later this season regardless. The trade makes no sense for Boston. They know Rangers will go after Brian anyway, so they would want someone like Pock or Strudwick instead of Poti.

Pock? no freakin way! Strudwick, when do you want him? Welcome home Brian

Old
01-18-2006, 09:26 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

No one has to admit they were wrong. And you can still say "Poti sucks" because it makes your drunk friends laugh. If Poti sucks, so does half the team. He has been one of the most consistent Rangers over the last month. Not exceptional, not up to some unrealistic expectations, but certainly doing his part.

The Brian Leetch ship has sailed. He would have no fit in the NYR locker room. The Czechs wont dump Jagr all the sudden just beacuse a "Ranger Icon" has returned.

Before this team is ready to win year in and year out, constant references to the 94 team need to disappear. The franchise needs a new identity. Continually hanging your hat on something that happened more than 10 years ago is a loser mentality.

Old
01-18-2006, 09:32 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Long term? They're both free agents at the end of the season. Leetch is better defenseman offensively and better defensively. Come on people, this is Tom Poti we're talking about. Have our standards in regard to Poti fallen so far that his slightly improved play has rendered him so irreplaceable?
It's Sather's job to make us better. If he has no intention of re-signing Poti for next year it makes sense.

How are you gonna feel if he trades for Leetch, Leetch plays well and Sather makes no attempt to re-sign him for next year as he goes after younger UFAs for the 2006-7 season? It wouldn't be unreasonable.

Old
01-18-2006, 09:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
No one has to admit they were wrong. And you can still say "Poti sucks" because it makes your drunk friends laugh. If Poti sucks, so does half the team. He has been one of the most consistent Rangers over the last month. Not exceptional, not up to some unrealistic expectations, but certainly doing his part.

The Brian Leetch ship has sailed. He would have no fit in the NYR locker room. The Czechs wont dump Jagr all the sudden just beacuse a "Ranger Icon" has returned.

Before this team is ready to win year in and year out, constant references to the 94 team need to disappear. The franchise needs a new identity. Continually hanging your hat on something that happened more than 10 years ago is a loser mentality.

No one has to admit they were wrong about what?

Poti is doing his part? He has contributed zero offensively, 0 points in the last 7 games (which is his forte, allegedly). Has he been better in that he's not been atrocious? I guess. But that does not mean that he's been great, good, or even solid. People kill Pock for the Nash goal, but I didn't see Poti back him up and help.

I don't see how Leetch wouldn't fit into the lockerroom. He's the consumate pro. ANd I don't know why it suddenly becomes and either/or think with Leetch and Jagr.

01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Malik is better then a serviceable 5-6th D. And I can't understand your thinking with you claim that Rozsival wouldn't have made the 3rd pairing on most of the teams in the league... Do you ever watch any other team play then the rangers? I know that in games where the Rangers play I hardly notice the other teams players. Its just that you have no perspective on defensemens what so ever. It seems lile if someone isn't named Rob Blake or Chris Pronger he sucks.

Roszival is de facto our nr 1 guy so thats one team he defenitly would have made the top 3 pairings. The reason I ask is because I think Rozival for example would be a lock ont the best team in the easts blue line, Carolina Hurricanes. If you ask me he is better then their nr 3 guy, Brett Hedican. Though thats debateable, however no question asked when it comes to Andrew Hutchinsson, Glenn Weasly and Niclas Wallin to name a few. In Ottawa, who have by far the best blue line in the league he would probably have no problem with putting Pothier in the stands. Though I am not that sure of Pothiers abilitys but he haven't impressed me. That he would make Toronto's blue line is also a lock, without any doubt he would be lock their. He would have no problem making the NJD, please don't mention Sean Brown. Philly's blue line, yup. Are you starting to see a trend here?

Can you name one team which blue line he wouldn't be a lock on and actually mention the player on that blueline who is better then him and honestly say that "this is a player who is better then Rosizval and if he played in NY on our 1st pairing I would think every game that I True Blue is so happy that we have Tommy Albelin/Brian Pothier/Glenn Weasly/Andrew Hutchinsson as our NR 1 D in NY."

You also used to say that both Thomas Pck and Jason Strudwick easily were better players then Roszival. When both of them weren't playing. You seems to have stopped with that now though...

Last edited by Ola: 01-18-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old
01-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
Atleast 3 people on this page said I was nuts a while back when I claimed that Poti is more skilled then Jason Bouchard. I guess some people watch the Rangers with intense 82 games per year and really don't have any perspective of the game or the NHL.

It seems like its only rangers defensemen in the league who commits turnovers. What defensemens who is out their on the PK don't matter at all, Tom Renney could dress himself and take Rozivals roll on the PK any day. Marek Malik is at best a serviceable 6th D.

Old
01-18-2006, 10:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Atleast 3 people on this page said I was nuts a while back when I claimed that Poti is more skilled then Jason Bouchard. I guess some people watch the Rangers with intense 82 games per year and really don't have any perspective of the game or the NHL.

It seems like its only rangers defensemen in the league who commits turnovers. What defensemens who is out their on the PK don't matter at all, Tom Renney could dress himself and take Rozivals roll on the PK any day. Marek Malik is at best a serviceable 6th D.
Poti is more skilled than a lot guys in the league. He's got Norris trophey winner skills. But that's not the point. The point is the results. And the results have not been good.

And, as I recall, the debate was not whether or not Poti was more skilled than Joel Bouchard, but rather whether or not Bouchard could be as productive as Poti.

Old
01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5

Bring back Leetch.
This shows how much you know what you're talking about.

Closed Thread