HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers offered Poti to Boston for Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

Poti is doing his part? He has contributed zero offensively, 0 points in the last 7 games (which is his forte, allegedly).
when has Poti ever been a true offensive wizard with the puck? He's never had Brian Leetch numbers. Just because he's usually mediocre defensively doesn't make him an offensive defenseman. He has a great shot and good passing skills, but that doesn't mean he's a goal scorer. Brian Rafalski is the same way, I don't think he has EVER scored 10 goals in the NHL but he is well regarded.

Poti scored more than 10 goals only 3 times and hit more than 35 pts ONCE. Doesn't seem like a consistent offensive force to me. Sure I don't mind if he is gone next year, but he's not worth trading from this team right now. I'm all for Brian Leetch to be here if it's a cheap acquisition but I wouldn't move Tom Poti for him.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
94now

Poti benefited greatly from NHL rules change. While Purintons of the league are having hard time finding the job, Poti type of D is in demand. Why? Because the guys who can't keep both hands on the stick and its blade down to the ice do belong to the penalty box these days. Poti is an excellent pock-checker, which made him invaluable on the team as of late. The offencive skills are also there, but Renney uses him as a last man, stay home guy, since Tutin/Strudwick is not ready yet. That;s why his stats are not as good as overall contribution. Bottom line: Poti doesn't suck anymore not as much because he has improved, but because the game has changed.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
when has Poti ever been a true offensive wizard with the puck? He's never had Brian Leetch numbers. Just because he's usually mediocre defensively doesn't make him an offensive defenseman. He has a great shot and good passing skills, but that doesn't mean he's a goal scorer. Brian Rafalski is the same way, I don't think he has EVER scored 10 goals in the NHL but he is well regarded.

Poti scored more than 10 goals only 3 times and hit more than 35 pts ONCE. Doesn't seem like a consistent offensive force to me. Sure I don't mind if he is gone next year, but he's not worth trading from this team right now. I'm all for Brian Leetch to be here if it's a cheap acquisition but I wouldn't move Tom Poti for him.

I don't disagree that Poti's not a great offensive defenseman. But that is how he's been viewed. Truth be told he averages 30 points a season not offensive defenseman numbers. He's awful defensively and that does not make him an offensive defenseman.

If Poti was half the all around defenseman Rafalski is, he would not get killed the way he is.

After all you have said (which I agree with) could you then say you wouldn't trade him for Leetch?

01-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Ola

Quote:
Poti is more skilled than a lot guys in the league. He's got Norris trophey winner skills. But that's not the point. The point is the results. And the results have not been good.

And, as I recall, the debate was not whether or not Poti was more skilled than Joel Bouchard, but rather whether or not Bouchard could be as productive as Poti.
Yeah though all I said was that he was more skilled then Joel Bouchard, have never been a fan of the player...

Old
01-18-2006, 04:39 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
I don't disagree that Poti's not a great offensive defenseman. But that is how he's been viewed. Truth be told he averages 30 points a season not offensive defenseman numbers. He's awful defensively and that does not make him an offensive defenseman.

If Poti was half the all around defenseman Rafalski is, he would not get killed the way he is.

After all you have said (which I agree with) could you then say you wouldn't trade him for Leetch?
No I wouldn't because.... and this is my entire point... our depth on defense is so razor thin it may help our scoring from the blueline, but it still leaves us short a guy. Even with Kaspar back we only have 5 real defenseman, I don't think Strudwick is good in the role he now plays. He's best used sparingly to hide his lack of speed and stamina (watch him in the third of every game over the last week, he's SOOOOO tired and slow). At this point Leetch's durability has to be questioned and if we acquired him and he went down, we are def screwed.

Closed Thread