HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Ask Spongebob :Questions about Russian prospects

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 05:00 PM
RussianProspects

vCash: 500
Well, Stasyuk and Yachmenev are too early to tell, but yeah, they are marginal. From what I remember of Stasyuk - he is really small and did not impress, but did have some skill.

Another thing - Tolkunov left training camp due to an injury and returned to Russia. I beleive he still has a contract with Florida and may return to next year's training camp. I don't believe the two sides parted ways acrimoniously.

Khlopotnov is a goner - he is now with Kristal Elektrostal and granted he is doing ok in the Upper League, the guy is 27 and past his prime. I am not sure what's goiung to happen with Sapozhnikov - I remember him going to SKA last year, but nothing yet this year. Kind of a crash for the young defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Denis Stasyuk
GP-5 G-0 A-0 Pts-0 PIM-2

Denis Yachmenev
GP-3 G-0 A-0 Pts-0 PIM-0

Dmitri Tolkunov
GP-6 G-0 A-0 Pts-0 PIM-4

Vlad Sapozhnikov
No info??

Denis Khloptonov
GP-5 W/L/T-3/2/0 Min-262 GA-13 GAA-2.98

My opinion?Don't con't on seeing any of these guys on an NHL roster.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:57 AM
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects
Well, Stasyuk and Yachmenev are too early to tell, but yeah, they are marginal. From what I remember of Stasyuk - he is really small and did not impress, but did have some skill.

Another thing - Tolkunov left training camp due to an injury and returned to Russia. I beleive he still has a contract with Florida and may return to next year's training camp. I don't believe the two sides parted ways acrimoniously.

Khlopotnov is a goner - he is now with Kristal Elektrostal and granted he is doing ok in the Upper League, the guy is 27 and past his prime. I am not sure what's goiung to happen with Sapozhnikov - I remember him going to SKA last year, but nothing yet this year. Kind of a crash for the young defenseman.
Well, Stasyuk is not that small as he is 6'3 180. he is yet marginal but he is improving. He was pre-selected once last year with the 85 national team but did not make the cut. I agree that it is too early to say whether he will make it.

Khlopotnov: I believe he is 25 not 27. His career has been extremely disapointing so far. I was expecting so much more. He is huge and quick. he was dominating in juniors but had a poor showing when he went to North America (I believe in ECHL or UHL) just after being drafted. Since then, his career went downhill. When he went back, Mihaylovsky proved to be too good at CSKA for him to become the starter, then he moved to Metallurg where he was supposed to contend for the starting position but Karpenko proved to be excellent. Since then, went to Spartak and now Kristall Elektrostal (ex-Elemash) and hasn't achieved his full potential. The career of promising Russian goalies is really impredictable with huge ups and downs: Volkov, Fomichev, Khlopotnov, Konstantinov. Bryzgalov seems more stable. Let's see what Medvedev, Barulin, and Sidikov will do.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Slick Nick

Still waiting for Eugene to put up a profile for Malkin on russianprospects.com, meanwhile SpongeBob or Eugene, can you give me a good profile on Malikin, I heard so many good things about him, but nothing specefic.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:11 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Can I get updated stats on these Predators prospects: Soin, Glazachev, Mukhachev, and Shafigulin? Any thoughts would be nice as well.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:55 AM
RussianProspects

Sasyuk is that big? Wow, he played on Russia's U20 squad in Tyumen this fall and did not look that big - I guess he is 180 - so that's probably why, but he just didn't play like a sizable forward. I guess for a guy listed at 190cm that's pretty dissapointing.

Is Khlopotnov 25? I guess he is a 78, I thought he was a 76. Last year really hurt him - he had the opportunity to make a name for himself when Plauff struggled, instead he suffered an injury and was out for most of the season. When he came back, Medvedev was fully entrenched as the backup, even competing for the starting spot. Fomichev is a very good goalie - he didn't get a good shake here and deserved more. Did well in juniors, played ok in training camp, but was right away written off to the ECHL. Very dissapointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
Well, Stasyuk is not that small as he is 6'3 180. he is yet marginal but he is improving. He was pre-selected once last year with the 85 national team but did not make the cut. I agree that it is too early to say whether he will make it.

Khlopotnov: I believe he is 25 not 27. His career has been extremely disapointing so far. I was expecting so much more. He is huge and quick. he was dominating in juniors but had a poor showing when he went to North America (I believe in ECHL or UHL) just after being drafted. Since then, his career went downhill. When he went back, Mihaylovsky proved to be too good at CSKA for him to become the starter, then he moved to Metallurg where he was supposed to contend for the starting position but Karpenko proved to be excellent. Since then, went to Spartak and now Kristall Elektrostal (ex-Elemash) and hasn't achieved his full potential. The career of promising Russian goalies is really impredictable with huge ups and downs: Volkov, Fomichev, Khlopotnov, Konstantinov. Bryzgalov seems more stable. Let's see what Medvedev, Barulin, and Sidikov will do.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:59 AM
RussianProspects

RussianProspects.com will have a premium section for the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, with tournament coverage, player recaps from each tournament and extensive player profiles. The rest of the site will remain free, but the 2004 profiles, interviews, tournament coverage will be premium. The financial and time investment in providing all the data has become too much for us to offer it for free. The scheduled release date of the premium section will be in about a week or two.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects
RussianProspects.com will have a premium section for the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, with tournament coverage, player recaps from each tournament and extensive player profiles. The rest of the site will remain free, but the 2004 profiles, interviews, tournament coverage will be premium. The financial and time investment in providing all the data has become too much for us to offer it for free. The scheduled release date of the premium section will be in about a week or two.
Then we'll have to copy paste everything here... haha, juste kidding. I'll join for sure.

Great work guys.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I appreciate all the help with the stats and opinions. I was concerned with Stasyuk especially because he was originally listed at about 6'1" and 165 lbs by Central Scouting. And thanks for all the info about Khloptonov too...FL is lacking in goaltending prospects. Looks like he won't be an answer for a backup role to Luongo.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:17 PM
aspin

Mikhnov Koltsov and Muratov

What are your thoughts ion Alexei Mihknov Ivan Koltsov and Evgeni Muratov. Can you get me the stats for Muratov?

Old
11-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirtbag
Can anyone provide me with a link to player stats for Dynamo's jr team and Torpedo's jr team? I am looking for stats on Pavel Frolov and Vladislav Evseev.

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately neither of these teams really track player stats for their farm teams.Sorry.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:55 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin
What are your thoughts ion Alexei Mihknov Ivan Koltsov and Evgeni Muratov. Can you get me the stats for Muratov?
Alexei Mikhnov is having a great beginning to his season.As long as he doesn't have anymore problems like he did in the past he should get a chance to make Edmonton's roster next season.

Ivan Koltsov after searching several sites Icame up with nothing on Koltsov or where he is playing currently.

Evgeni Muratov is a decent forward with 3rd line potential.This season might be pivotal in deciding if he will have what it takes to cross the pond and join Edmonton.

GP-20 G-1 A-6 Pts-7 PIM-8

Old
11-07-2003, 05:34 AM
Suka

vCash:
Hey
Any word on whether Roman Rozakov will be back playing? If so any idea of maybe when?
Thanks MUCH

Old
11-07-2003, 05:52 AM
aspin

Koltsov

Quote:
Alexei Mikhnov is having a great beginning to his season.As long as he doesn't have anymore problems like he did in the past he should get a chance to make Edmonton's roster next season.

Ivan Koltsov after searching several sites Icame up with nothing on Koltsov or where he is playing currently.

Evgeni Muratov is a decent forward with 3rd line potential.This season might be pivotal in deciding if he will have what it takes to cross the pond and join Edmonton.

GP-20 G-1 A-6 Pts-7 PIM-8

This is where he played part of last season if this is any help.

http://www.russianprospects.com/prof...p?player_id=73

Servastal??

Old
11-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin
This is where he played part of last season if this is any help.

http://www.russianprospects.com/prof...p?player_id=73

Servastal??
He is not on Severstal's roster or any other roster that I can find.I will keep searching though.

Old
11-08-2003, 01:12 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Need a Sabres prospect stat update.....

Denis Denisov

Denis Ezhov

Artem Kriukov

Maxim Sheviev

If there are links to stats pages for these 4, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old
11-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Fedz

Ilya Krikunov

Has played great lately apparently, but wasn't invited to the U20 Nations Cup...Why? Will he be part of the WJC team?

Old
11-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Guillaume

Ivan Koltsov plays for Khimvolkno Mogilev in Belarus.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Slick Nick

Guillaume .. Québécois, ili ruskii?

I would like to have a profile of Alexander Vosyunov? Is he that great?

Old
11-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Guillaume .. Québécois, ili ruskii?

He has tremendous potential but he is still only 15 years old.He did score 52 goals in just 18 games when he was 13.

http://www.kinderhockey.ru/players/?id=921

Old
11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Captain Ron

For those of you interested I have been updating stats for prospects playing in the RSL.You can use this link to view them.

http://www.russianprospects.com/stat...tour_id=200401

Old
11-10-2003, 01:29 AM
Guillaume

Quote:
Yes and no.
For two reasons:
- Scoring so many goals (52 in 18 games) in the Moscow championship was more significant few years ago when guys like Bure, Ovechkin, or Kovalchuk were reaching similar numbers. Starting with the 1987 generation, youth teams from Ural are better than the teams from the Moscow region. In most of the competitions with teams from all over Russia, he was much less dominating. At the final of the last 1988 championship in Magnitogorsk, he had only 3 goals and was not even in the top 15 for the snipers (he is a typical goal scorer / sniper). He was only the second scorer at the national championship of regional teams, and was barely the best scorer of the second phase of the Moscow championship.
- His year was not that great last year and other players are catching up. His performances are clearly not as spectacular as they used to be. For instance, Alexei Mirnov (a 89 player from Dynamo, I believe he is Igor's brother but I am not 100% sure, had similar numbers).

As I said many great players are coming from the ural region now. For the 1988 generation, you should probably remember guys like Yaroslav Kostin and Andrei Popov, both from Ufa (although Popov used to play for Traktor). Or Mikov from Avangard 1989 .

In short, he is a sniper who had great achievements, but it's way too ealry to guess how good he will be. He probably will be very good but it is unclear whether he will be the type of players that you see only once a decade (like Kovalchuk or Ovechkin were regarded). Just my 2 cents.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:01 AM
Guillaume

I re-read the post and something important is missing. Another huge factor is how much more he will grow up (he is not 16 yet) and to which extent his hockey skills will translate in a bigger body. Right now he is about 5'11 170, which is not bad for a 15 year old.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:05 AM
Slick Nick

Thank you very much guys, really interesting. If you have any stats from Yaroslav Kostin and Andrei Popov, feel free to post them here

Old
11-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Thank you very much guys, really interesting. If you have any stats from Yaroslav Kostin and Andrei Popov, feel free to post them here
I don't want to sound like a jerk but with the 2004 draft crop and the previously drafted Russians to keep track of I don't have the time or energy to track a bunch of 15 year old kids who may or may not turn out to be draft prospects.Let's wait another year or two before we start truly analyzing these youngsters.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a jerk but with the 2004 draft crop and the previously drafted Russians to keep track of I don't have the time or energy to track a bunch of 15 year old kids who may or may not turn out to be draft prospects.Let's wait another year or two before we start truly analyzing these youngsters.
It's all good Spongebob, I apprecitate all the work you've been doing for this forum...

I'am willing to write an article for a Montreal Canadiens fan site about the top 10 prospects for the 2004 draft. If you, or Eugene or Guillaume, could give me a good analys of Ovechkin and Malkin, it would be very nice.....

if you have time and zhylanie : nick@chfans.com

Thanks

Kolja

Closed Thread