HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry's Coach's Corner 2016-2017 Playoffs edition

Old
10-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Moorpheus*
|GERMAN/IDEALISM\

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
He is really angry that the Leafs let Reimer go & are stuck with "Gustavson".
Shame we don't have a good ol tario boy like Andrew Raycroft backing us up, even that Frenchie Bernie would be better (despite his frenchness) am I right big Don?

Btw is anybody going to upload tonight's CC I just missed it.

Moorpheus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorpheus View Post
Shame we don't have a good ol tario boy like Andrew Raycroft backing us up, even that Frenchie Bernie would be better (despite his frenchness) am I right big Don?

Btw is anybody going to upload tonight's CC I just missed it.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Ulysses31

cherrys been spot on about "Gustavson" not being great. however im pulling for "Gustavson" to put it together and win some damn games

Ulysses31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Jussi

Don's jacket

Old
10-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Jussi

He praised a Russian!!!

Old
10-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Torgo

"Sometimes you protect guys that are dying on the vine, and I'll admit that time you didn't". Ron says that (regarding Anderson) so calmly and casually that I genuinely don't think Don has any idea he was basically calling him out for being inconsistent or counter to how he normally treats those situations when it comes to goalies.

"A guy from Red Deer, tellin ME what ta do" he says that as if he has a certain level of disdain for the city of Red Deer.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 08:46 PM
spacemunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
He praised a Russian!!!
He was arguing for Rad as a star of the game. Which he should have been

spacemunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemunky View Post
He was arguing for Rad as a star of the game. Which he should have been
ANd he was right about how poorly Nashville handled the situation back then.

Old
10-30-2016, 06:28 AM
PanthersPens62
Faces of the NHL

Kudos to Sportsnet - last night I noticed Grapes was on with Ron immediately following the early game, just like in the good old days. Looks like they heard our cries for more time!

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 09:48 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Backhanded compliment of PK last night. Talks about how they both have a bomb then goes on to talk about "Planting swords".

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 10:41 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Kudos to Sportsnet - last night I noticed Grapes was on with Ron immediately following the early game, just like in the good old days. Looks like they heard our cries for more time!
I am an American with Center Ice. I love Coaches Corner. I learn some hockey, but it is about entertainment for me. When Don gets on one of his pro-Canada rants, I just love it, even if the object of his scorn is the US of A or something American. Never once have I been offended. Very seldom have I not been entertained. I even enjoy the RCMP and military tributes.

I tuned over from football about the time CC began. In addition I tuned back to see the end of the Leafs-Habs game and was pleasantly surprised to catch the encore. Count me as one Yank that was pleased with the programming decision.

I only have one question; "does the entire country come to standstill for 5 minutes, or am I just imagining everyone from Goose Bay to Whitehorse stopped and looking at the television.

The Old Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 04:06 AM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
I am an American with Center Ice. I love Coaches Corner. I learn some hockey, but it is about entertainment for me. When Don gets on one of his pro-Canada rants, I just love it, even if the object of his scorn is the US of A or something American. Never once have I been offended. Very seldom have I not been entertained. I even enjoy the RCMP and military tributes.

I tuned over from football about the time CC began. In addition I tuned back to see the end of the Leafs-Habs game and was pleasantly surprised to catch the encore. Count me as one Yank that was pleased with the programming decision.

I only have one question; "does the entire country come to standstill for 5 minutes, or am I just imagining everyone from Goose Bay to Whitehorse stopped and looking at the television.
No, the country does not come to a standstill. Cherry is a Canadian icon, but also a polarizing figure.

I would give you the equivalent in the united states but I don't think there is one.

Theres only one don cherry.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Get North

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post

The whole country doesn't come to standstill for 5 minutes, but people who watch hockey will listen to what Don Cherry says for better or for worse.

Get North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

Lmao did anyone catch at the end when CBC ****ed up and I guess forgot to take the mics off and Grapes said "Ah ****, I gotta..."?

Current GOAT Quote
Daisy Jane (re: Mitch Marner's chances of getting crushed by Dion): "but Marner isn't Phaneuf's team mate anymore.... why would Marner be in danger of being hit? I'd be more concerned about Lazar or Stone to be honest."
Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Jussi

"Daahmi"

Old
11-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Toronto Blue Jays
Eichel's Wheelhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Lmao did anyone catch at the end when CBC ****ed up and I guess forgot to take the mics off and Grapes said "Ah ****, I gotta..."?
Yes! I laughed so hard. aha

Toronto Blue Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 07:10 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 1321
Cherry sounded sick tonight. Other than that it was a pretty good Coaches Corner. Kinda agreed with what he said about Montoya, which was the same thing I heard this morning on NHL Network Radio. If you tell your star he has the night off, than he has the night off. However, I wonder why they couldn't just scratch price and bring up a goaltender from the practice squad or something. At least you wouldn't let Montoya hang out to dry like that.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 07:11 PM
DJJones

There was some comedy gold tonight.

DJJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Get North

So, many posters say the code doesn't exist and fighting should be out of the game, but look what happened tonight. Don was bang on and he's been saying this for years, when you take fighting out of the game then whenever a cheapshot occurs, the other team will just take out your star player with a stick or a headshot. Everybody wants fighting out, but it's pick your poison.

Should the star players be the ones getting taken out or the 4th line goons? The NHL would rather want the 4th line goons to take each other out. What if Crosby gets a dirty hit on him? Somebody on Pittsburgh will just go after the other team's star players and try to take him out like Burrows did against Rielly.

It's not right, but that's what is going to happen if fighting is eliminated.

Old
11-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get North View Post
So, many posters say the code doesn't exist and fighting should be out of the game, but look what happened tonight. Don was bang on and he's been saying this for years, when you take fighting out of the game then whenever a cheapshot occurs, the other team will just take out your star player with a stick or a headshot. Everybody wants fighting out, but it's pick your poison.

Should the star players be the ones getting taken out or the 4th line goons? The NHL would rather want the 4th line goons to take each other out. What if Crosby gets a dirty hit on him? Somebody on Pittsburgh will just go after the other team's star players and try to take him out like Burrows did against Rielly.

You'd have more of a point if what happened tonight was a result of fighting being out of the game...but fighting is in the game, fights happened tonight, and yet it didn't prevent both teams still got out of hand. I don't think fighting should be fully removed from the game, just don't see the strength in the argument in this context.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Canada4Gold

Don saying the Leafs should stop trying to throw hits up 3 with 10 mintues left in the game was also gold. Leafs have a great track record with 3 goal leads and 10 minutes left, yep, perfect time to stop throwing hits.

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2016, 05:30 AM
Moose Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksfan39 View Post
Cherry sounded sick tonight. Other than that it was a pretty good Coaches Corner. Kinda agreed with what he said about Montoya, which was the same thing I heard this morning on NHL Network Radio. If you tell your star he has the night off, than he has the night off. However, I wonder why they couldn't just scratch price and bring up a goaltender from the practice squad or something. At least you wouldn't let Montoya hang out to dry like that.
Did he mention how he left Reece out to dry the night Sittler scored 10 pts because he was saving Cheevers for their next game?

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2016, 05:31 AM
PanthersPens62
Faces of the NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get North View Post

Very well said. Just saw the segment since NHLN did not carry HNIC last night (shame on you NHLN). Don was spot on about this.

We also had another "Loosick" mention as well as him pronouncing Patrick Roy's last name sans the correct French pronunciation.

And yeah, someone in production was asleep at the wheel and clearly forgot to turn off the mics before switching to the annual Remembrance Day clip from the Canadian cemetary

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Get North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
You'd have more of a point if what happened tonight was a result of fighting being out of the game...but fighting is in the game, fights happened tonight, and yet it didn't prevent both teams still got out of hand. I don't think fighting should be fully removed from the game, just don't see the strength in the argument in this context.
Let's be real, the refs get into every fight before it happens if they can. The instigator rule doesn't allow for revenge or standing up for your teammate. There were no enforcers on the team either or on the ice at the time.

The stars are going to take headshots now instead of the enforcers taking care of them on the ice.