HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Perezhogin

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Craig Ludwig

vCash: 500
Perezhogin

We are going to ruin this guy's confidence. If Gainey wants to emphasize speed, let's bring him back up and play him more than 4 minutes a game. Put him back with Kovalev and Koivu, build his confidence. Come on Bob, keep him down in the AHL for another season and he could potentially go back to Russia and play the rest of his life for $300,000 a year.

Old
01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

God forbid he actually goes and works hard and earns it. I'll take the chance to "ruin" him before sending him the message that you can float your way onto the NHL.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
God forbid he actually goes and works hard and earns it. I'll take the chance to "ruin" him before sending him the message that you can float your way onto the NHL.
He might've made a few mistakes with penalties, but floating is something he did not do.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
when did he float?

Old
01-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe

Kostitsyn has been out-worked by every guy on Hamilton the whole year, but he's played 10 games with the big boys. Why is that?

Old
01-17-2006, 06:14 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
when did he float?
Everytime he crossed the red line towards Theo. According to Julien he seemed to float in practices also.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
when did he float?
Apparently at least once during his last practice with the big club.

What I don't understand is that Perez-Koivu-Kovalev were not doing a good job at the beginning of the season: they were doing a GREAT job. Koivu even said he never played on such a good line! Then Zednik came back (playing with Ribeiro), then Perezhogin got sick, and that was the last time he saw minutes with the big line............... Gainey said he would come back soon.... I hope this is thruth.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:17 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Losco
Kostitsyn has been out-worked by every guy on Hamilton the whole year, but he's played 10 games with the big boys. Why is that?
Kost was floating for all but the couple weeks prior to when he was called up. Hasn't done it since as far as I saw.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Maybe Perezhogin should produce if he wants to come back up. 2 points in 6 games in a league he DOMINATED 2 years ago is just not good enough. And I am one of his biggest fans.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:28 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Maybe Perezhogin should produce if he wants to come back up. 2 points in 6 games in a league he DOMINATED 2 years ago is just not good enough. And I am one of his biggest fans.
So am I. I love the guy and am frustrated he isn't giving more effort because we know he can because he did!

Perez will be back soon enough and for good this time. If he learned his lesson this would have been worth it.
The only thing that his hurting is not his confidence but his ego at the moment. Wich is good because he will do everything to never go back to the AHL again.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
As am I and I agree 2 points in 6 games doesn't cut it for a player of his talent. But, confidence is such an under-rated concept in sports and,

A. His confidence was completely shat on by Julien.
B. He could be thinking, why should I work my sack off so they can call me back up and use me sparingly and punish me for every minute mistake? (Im just speculating)

At least in Russia when he played on the third line his coach had total confidence in him.

Old
01-17-2006, 06:38 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
As am I and I agree 2 points in 6 games doesn't cut it for a player of his talent. But, confidence is such an under-rated concept in sports and,

A. His confidence was completely shat on by Julien.
B. He could be thinking, why should I work my sack off so they can call me back up and use me sparingly and punish me for every minute mistake? (Im just speculating)

At least in Russia when he played on the third line his coach had total confidence in him.
Hell Gainey said to Dags that if he worked hard he could get called back, I'm sure Perez heard the same thing.

I'm sure his confidence is low but it's not ruined and it might just be good for him in the long run. Even players with 10 seasons of NHL suffer from lack of confidence during slumps and such.

If he's thinking B. he'll never be in the NHL for any team.

Old
01-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
True, but he's been playing good defensively and I think he's focused on that too much which is killing his offensive game. Also, he had a shootout winner.

Old
01-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Slitty

He would be going to Russia for more ice time at a high level of competition and for a more lucrative salary, not $300,000 for the rest of his life. In any case, Perezhogin always seemed the type to really try and make it in North America.... but you guys could very well ruin that.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
bjac

I think people have to calm down about the Perezhogin situation. Spending half season in the AHL isnt going to ruin his career. If anything, it will give him more time to develope his defensive game. If he is called back up into the NHL, thats great too because hes showing he has the determination to get back into the lineup. Regardless, I think people just need to give him time and eventually he will grow into his potential.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:02 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
Actually I really like the way we "ruined" Markov and Ryder...
Ryder spent first 3-4 years in the pros in ECHL and AHL
Markov spent 30 games in MTL, 20 games on the bench, 30 games in the farm... year after year for what? 4 years...

yeah, let's "ruin" Perez the same way!!!

time to "ruin" our prospects guys!!! wooohooo

Old
01-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream
Markov spent 30 games in MTL, 20 games on the bench, 30 games in the farm... year after year for what? 4 years...

I agree,

every time we sent Markov down in the past he responded and started dominating in the AHL. If Perez wants to go back in needs to dominate for two reasons...

1. Showing he works is but off which does not seem to be the case right now
2. Showing that is confidence is back and that he can score on a regular basis which is also not the case now,,,,

Kostsitsyn was not the biggest workhorse perhaps in the AHL but at the moment he got called is confidence was right up there.

Old
01-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Kostitsyn has been out worked by most of the guys on the Bulldogs roster only during the 1st month of the season. After that, there have been occassions when he could back-check harder, maybe be more agressive on the PK, but other than that he has worked hard, improved his game and proven that a bunch of people on this board seem to still judge him by his performance at the start of his first season as opposed to actually watching the guy play NOW and re-evaluating him.

Out worked by everyone the whole year? ********

If that was the case, Don Lever wouldn't have given him his ice time back, used him on the PP or PK and would likely have not had the callups he did.

Even when he got called up, people still said 'Oh, Kostitsyn is always falling over, he never passes the puck to his teammates and tries to be too fancy with the puck and he doesn't play physically.' Perish the thought that anyone would spare the time to watch the guy play again and see if those details actually resembled the truth.

As for Perezhogin, I expect if his defensive play is okay and he isn't taking dumb penalties, he will get a call up soon, regardless of his offense. He will be given his chance and im sure he will do well once again in the NHL. He may struggle at times, but that is to be expected with a young player. Hopefully he can start showing us what he is capable of in the NHL soon.

Old
01-18-2006, 08:22 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by baljitgill
He might've made a few mistakes with penalties, but floating is something he did not do.
I think he did float, but not in the sense that he is a floater... I mean, I think he floated unconsciously because that was the way he played in lower caliber hockey : waiting to have the puck before enclenching the second gear.

That doesn't work too well in the NHL unless you have superstar skills, which he doesn't have (maybe eventually "star" skills, but certainly not "superstar")

I just think he still has to learn to move his skates in any circumstance, like Carbo told Ribeiro few days ago (quoted in Le Journal The Montreal). In a way, Ribeiro was benched for that. Perez was rather sent to minors since Habs still had that option. No big deal, he'll come back better.

Old
01-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Bruins

I don't think sending him to the AHL should ruin his confidence at all. If anything it should give him more desire to work his a** off to get back to the big show. Look at what sending Spezza to the AHL has done for his career. I think sending a message to players that no ones spot is guaranteed is a wake up call to some which usually makes them work harder. Obviously this is not the case for every player, but for most players who have any kind of character.

Old
01-18-2006, 11:30 AM
HockeyPeriod

[QUOTE=LePoche69]I think he did float, but not in the sense that he is a floater... I mean, I think he floated unconsciously because that was the way he played in lower caliber hockey : waiting to have the puck before enclenching the second gear.
[QUOTE]

I agree, most think that when we call him a floater that we're saying he's lazy. This is not the case.

I'm surprised that its never been mentioned before, but if you watch some of the games where he would start out on a line with Koivu and Kovy, he would use his speed to help gain the blue line. Then Perez would park himself in front of the net. Meanwhile Koivu is fighting along the boards for the puck and Perez would not move to help. Kovy would jump in to help and it became a 2 man cycling of the puck with Perez still waiting for a pass.

I understand that he wants to score but he needs to help out his teammates. That's why by the second period he would be riding the pine. He needs to work on supporting his linemates better, that will transfer over to better defensive coverage.

Old
01-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
Kostitsyn has been out worked by most of the guys on the Bulldogs roster only during the 1st month of the season. After that, there have been occassions when he could back-check harder, maybe be more agressive on the PK, but other than that he has worked hard, improved his game and proven that a bunch of people on this board seem to still judge him by his performance at the start of his first season as opposed to actually watching the guy play NOW and re-evaluating him.

Out worked by everyone the whole year? ********

If that was the case, Don Lever wouldn't have given him his ice time back, used him on the PP or PK and would likely have not had the callups he did.

Even when he got called up, people still said 'Oh, Kostitsyn is always falling over, he never passes the puck to his teammates and tries to be too fancy with the puck and he doesn't play physically.' Perish the thought that anyone would spare the time to watch the guy play again and see if those details actually resembled the truth.

As for Perezhogin, I expect if his defensive play is okay and he isn't taking dumb penalties, he will get a call up soon, regardless of his offense. He will be given his chance and im sure he will do well once again in the NHL. He may struggle at times, but that is to be expected with a young player. Hopefully he can start showing us what he is capable of in the NHL soon.
The 'every guy' was an exageration, but do you mean to tell me that Kostitsyn deserved a promotion over guys like Lapierre or Benoit or Corey Locke etc. (and I am a big Kostitsyn fan, and one of the biggest Corey Locke haters around)

Not a chance.

But he was called up anyway... mostly because of his skill, size, potential, and that they wanted to find a way to reward him for starting to put in a little more effort.

But comparing Kostitsyn's first 10 games with Perezhogin's, I'm sorry but it isn't even close, regardless of the wingers he played with. Which was part of my point, I think, I can't even remember my original point anymore.

Oh and unless I imagined it, Lever said in an interview, that Kostitsyn had played "maybe 2 solid games out of 18". I don't have a link, but I'm sure you have read it before. So don't start to act like Kostitsyn was the second coming of Steve Begin after October. Infact I went to the game in Toronto on Nov. 3, and it looked to me as if he didn't want to be on the ice, and was deliberatley trying to get himself benched. (and this was when he was wearing the face shield, and was supposedly 'all over the ice' the game prior)

Old
01-18-2006, 12:02 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
The 'every guy' was an exageration, but do you mean to tell me that Kostitsyn deserved a promotion over guys like Lapierre or Benoit or Corey Locke etc. (and I am a big Kostitsyn fan, and one of the biggest Corey Locke haters around)
Why do you hate Locke? I saw him play all his junior and he is an awesome player.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:40 PM
akostitsyn

From what I understand Locke was very good at the start of the season then he got on a slump almost exactly when Kostitsyn began to play better. What Don Lever didn't like about Locke is his work ethic, also he thinks that the problem with Locke and Benoit is there size they gets outwork too easily by bigger guys so imagine how there going to do in the nhl level. Lapierre did get the first callup.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream

I keep reading this from alot of poster here...Markov didn't spend alot of time in the AHL, actually he saw a total of 26 games...

14 games one year
12 games the next...

Closed Thread