HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators "express interest in Jokinen."

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Predators "express interest in Jokinen."

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/NHL_SC-RUMOR

very interesting. fits the bill...could be a deadline rental since he's UFA next year. Big center, could be a huge scorer with a playmaker like Kariya on the wing.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:39 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
So what is the market price for rental players these days? How much would we have to give up to get him and how much of his salary do we have to eat?

Old
01-18-2006, 12:53 AM
crazydave

Posted by VoPatsRash on the NashvillePredators.com boards:

How dare they leave Richards out of the rumor?!?!?

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...94561-sun.html

"Is Tampa GM Jay Feaster going to have to deal C Brad Richards? With the signings of C Vincent Lecavalier and RW Martin St. Louis in the off-season, there may not be room left for Richards. Sources say the Nashville Predators, who need help in the middle and consider themselves a Cup contender. Nashville has also let the Panthers know they wouldn't mind getting Olli Jokinen, who Florida is hoping to sign and keep."

Or, I think he's saying that Nashville is interested in Richards, though I think the way the sentence is worded, it doesn't actually say it.

Old
01-18-2006, 07:35 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
So what is the market price for rental players these days? How much would we have to give up to get him and how much of his salary do we have to eat?

Good question, fangs......if Sully was worth two #2s...I gotta think Richards and Jokinen are worth the same, and maybe even a upper mid range propect throw in [Shish, for example]...I think alot depends on who else is doing the bidding

On the other hand...if FLa is losing Luongo, the may want just a previous first round goalie prospect for their payment

As to the salary it would be in the neighborhood of 1/4 to 1/5 depending on the % of games left in the regular season at the time of acquistition.
Jokinen's base salry is 2.5 mill /yr
Richard's base salary is 3.4 mill /yr

Last edited by handtrick: 01-18-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old
01-18-2006, 08:17 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I'd probably wet my pants if we aquired Richards. Although Jokinen would be nice too. I've also ready somewhere else that the Wild are also interested in Richards.

Old
01-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would be ecstatic if we acquired either center, and I have to believe that Brad Richards being moved is a VERY VERY real possibility. I think if we traded for either player, if we were to resign them, we would be looking at 4 million a year...minimum. Probably 4.5 million.

I also think that Richards holds more value, although Jokinen fits our team better. I can't see us dropping a first rounder unless we are able to discuss contract extensions with Olli.

01-18-2006, 11:51 AM
lstcyr

It's hard to believe that Poile would pull the trigger on a deal with Jokinen without a signed deal for the future.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Of the two, I like Jokinen better, but I wouldn't fuss over Richards.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:32 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr
It's hard to believe that Poile would pull the trigger on a deal with Jokinen without a signed deal for the future.
why not? If we express to florida we don't have any interest in signing him after this season, then I say maybe the price could be cheap.

Old
01-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

CC I don't think he will be cheap unless Florida prearranges with Jokinen that they will sign him in the off-season....which if they are trading him should be illegal or against something in the CBA.

Personally, I think Richards is the better player, while Jokinen fits our team more specifically. Either one would be well...awesome.

We would have to trade a roster player or lose one to waivers. As it stands now, even if Legwand and Nichol come back to the lineup, we can carry Smithson and Fiddler. Roster size is 23 ...we just have not been carrying 23.

Erat, Eaton, Klein, Shishkanov, Glazachev, and a bunch of mid-tier defensive prospects - Sulzer, etc. could be traded. We also have Lassila and Finley who could be moved if management is comfortable with Rinne. A center should be traded, as Richards/Jokinen, along with Legwand, Perrault, Johnson, Nichol, Smithson, and Fiddler is just too many....Granted, it would be interesting to see if Perrault and Smithson could play on the wing (while still giving Perrault faceoff duties.)

Old
01-18-2006, 01:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
why not? If we express to florida we don't have any interest in signing him after this season, then I say maybe the price could be cheap.

That's my take on it. Jokinen might be a little expensive for us to retain, and it wasn't even a given that Sullivan would be re-signed when we acquired him. The fact that Jokinen could possibly be a playoff rental should make him a little easier to acquire on both ends. It's going to take more than it took to get Sullivan...and would likely mean giving up a well-liked prospect(Klein, maybe) and possibly a more mid-tier guy like Shishkanov.

Old
01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
Of the two, I like Jokinen better, but I wouldn't fuss over Richards.
You like Jokinen better than the younger, reigning Conn Smythe winner?

Old
01-18-2006, 02:09 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr
I think it might be easier for the Preds to sign him to a deal than for Florida. It has to be frustrating to play for a team that always seems to be two years away. You look at their young talent and you think, surely they'll turn the corner next year. But despite playing in a weak division, they've never really made significant strides. When we came into the league in 1998, the Panthers were poised to take the next step. And now, here we are 7-8 years later, and nothing has changed. They are still poised to take a step they haven't taken since the Beezer days.

With the Preds, he has the chance to be the missing piece to the puzzle. And I think they are going to have the money to spend next year. He's got fellow Finn Kimmo Timonen on the team (not sure how much help that will be).

I would absolutely not trade for Jokinen if it was for a rental because I don't think we are a center away from the Cup. I think many of the Preds problems are virtually unfixable short-term (inexperience being the key problem in my mind). This is the year to attempt to make it to the second round and beyond.

With Weber potentially replacing Markov next year, and with the salary cap going up, a few million dollars might be freed up. With some shrewd management, I think the Preds can fit a player like Jokinen under their cap. He's, at best, a 3.5/4 million player. But on the open market, teams dying for a center might be willingly to go substantially higher.

Old
01-18-2006, 02:10 PM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
not me. I'd kill for Richards. Although, if we traded for him I'd hope the intention would be to re-sign him. As for Jokinen, I see him as a rental player only.

Old
01-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
not me. I'd kill for Richards. Although, if we traded for him I'd hope the intention would be to re-sign him. As for Jokinen, I see him as a rental player only.
Exactly. Unless as Smokey pointed out Jokinen wants to stay...I think he leaves in the off-season.

Richards, on the other hand, will be a restricted free agent next year. He is very talented, and he has experience...Heck he won the conn smythe! I'd give up a lot to get him, especially if we could resign him for 2-3 more years. I mean we have to get a center somewhere...we have no one in the system that fits the top two lines except for Beech, who I do not think management likes. We aren't going to get a super-high draft pick to choose a super-talented center, and even if we did....we would have to wait 3-4 years for him to arrive. We have needed a top line center since...well...forever. If we could get one in his prime while still being an RFA...I'd love to do it. The trick is, how much does Richards want...how much does Tampa Bay want. Without a doubt, I think he is avaialble simply due to salary concerns with Tampa. Of course, if the cap goes up, the Lightining could risk it and resign him anyways...

Old
01-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Clash*

FYI, Jokinenhas clearly stated for three years now that he wants to stay in Florida with a long-term contract. And I doubt he'd come cheap. First names I can think of Keenan asking for would probably be Suter and Parent, especially Parent, as he clearly said that was who he was watchin before the draft lottery went down. Wow, did the Panthers get screwed on that deal.

Old
01-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
FYI, Jokinenhas clearly stated for three years now that he wants to stay in Florida with a long-term contract. And I doubt he'd come cheap. First names I can think of Keenan asking for would probably be Suter and Parent, especially Parent, as he clearly said that was who he was watchin before the draft lottery went down. Wow, did the Panthers get screwed on that deal.
Don't be silly. There is zero chance Keenan gets Suter for a deadline rental, especially if Jokinen declines to negotiate with the Predators for a contract extension. I'm not sure Parent would be discussed either, but if he was, you can bet there isn't anything else coming back from our side unless Olli is going to negotiate with us. I can't see us giving up a stud defensive prospect for a rental center. It simply will not happen unless we have a shot at resigning him or there is more to the deal than just Olli.

Old
01-18-2006, 02:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I have to agree...and it's hard to go back to what players have said, I mean...look at our own Paul Kariya and his dealings with the Ducks. Ducks fans haven't forgiven him to this day. I could see one of our lower-end "good" prospects going to Florida in the deal...Kevin Klein, Teemu Laakso, Brian Finley, Timofei Shishkanov....MAYBE even Upshall(if we were set on re-signing Jokinen,) but historically, impending UFA's don't fetch that much in return. Klein and a second would likely be a pretty good offer.

Now...Richards...is only going to be RFA, is younger, and has a Conn Smythe under his belt. Call me crazy...but I'd be willing to talk names like Suter or Parent to get that deal done...

Old
01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Clash*

Two things you're missin on. One, I said Keenan would inquire about those names. I didn't say he'd get them. I even gave reason for Parent. Secondly, all UFAs previously you are basin on a completely different system. One where the players were four years older. Jokinen is only 28, as opposed to the 32 yr old free agents of years past, and he is only entering his prime, so he isn't on the down side of his career like many in the past as well. Mid-tier prospects aren't goin to do it.

Old
01-18-2006, 06:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We gave 2 2nd rounders for Sullivan who was restricted at the time...

Old
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
dulzhok

I agree with Smokey on this. I don't think we are a center away from winning the cup. It'd be silly to give away valuable assets for a guy who we could easily loose for nothing.

Jokinen won't go cheap either. Centers are high in demand and low in supply. He's one of the very few scoringline centers who might be available at the trade deadline.

As for Richards, I'd take. I'd give up a lot for him too. He's RFA at the end of the year... giving us a chance to sign him long term.

Old
01-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I agree with Smokey on this. I don't think we are a center away from winning the cup. It'd be silly to give away valuable assets for a guy who we could easily loose for nothing.

Jokinen won't go cheap either. Centers are high in demand and low in supply. He's one of the very few scoringline centers who might be available at the trade deadline.

As for Richards, I'd take. I'd give up a lot for him too. He's RFA at the end of the year... giving us a chance to sign him long term.
Agreed on all accounts!

Old
01-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I won't disagree that Richards may be the better of the two thus far, but Jokinen hasn't had the line-mates that Richards has either. I just like Jokinen's presence, over that of Richards.

Old
01-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Clash*

TSN's write up on Richards...
Quote:
Assets: Has incredible imagination with the puck and excellent playmaking ability. Likes to shoot the puck often and displays two-way savvy.
Flaws: Isn't big or physical, so he may wear down against bigger opposing centers. Will occasionally pass up a great scoring chance.
TSN's write up on Jokinen...
Quote:
Assets: Is a big presence up the middle and good face-off man. Can also play either wing position. When confident, he's an above-average goal-scorer.
Flaws: Must play with more year-to-year consistency in order to vault into the NHL's center elite.
Jokinen is a physical player that has literally been carryin a team offensively for three seasons now completely on his own. Yet you want a player two years younger that has a trophy, cause it had to go to someone, and he was one of a few people who produced. Personally, I'd want Jokinen and surround him with the same talent Richards had. I'd expect more out of Jokinen at that point. If Nashville felt confident enough in their ability to win with a player of Jokinen's caliber, then they should feel comfortable enough to be able to resign him and offer him the chance to win a Cup. Afterall, he's willing to resign with a team that has become synonymous with the worst teams in any sport.

Old
01-19-2006, 04:13 PM
BallardisDead

How about Sundin and Stajan for Legwand and Weber?

Closed Thread