HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense on the Rock

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 10:20 AM
wasting time

vCash: 500
Defense on the Rock

Can someone report on the progress of the blue line on the Rock. I saw the Manitoba game - wow did you see that move by Wellwood. He is definately not ready for the Big League, but what skill! Reminds me a little of Valerie Bure.

I saw Hedin too - again great skill, but he is never where you think a defenseman should be. One time he was in front of the net like a power forward on the PP while a shot was coming in from the point. He almost scored, but what the hell are you doing there??? He freaks me out.

Why is he playing defense? He is really small and loves to handle the puck in the offenseive zone. He would be a pretty good third or second line winger if you ask me. But no way does he make the NHL on the blue line. no way.

At some point don't guys like Hedin or Ian White say to themselves that perhaps they should try another position and hope that the coach puts him on the point in the PP? That makes sense, but 5 on 5? no way.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:29 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
I saw Hedin too - again great skill, but he is never where you think a defenseman should be. One time he was in front of the net like a power forward on the PP while a shot was coming in from the point. He almost scored, but what the hell are you doing there??? He freaks me out.
Yup. I havent seen him with the baby Leafs but I remember saying almost the exact same thing during the pre-season. He has real nice skills but he's never where you expect him to be.

I dunno if it means he needs should be moved to forward though. Maybe his style just seems unorthodox because we're so used to the prototypical North American defenseman and schemes.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Leaf Army

Pierre Hedin- I'll wait until later in the season before I pass judgement on him. Every scouting report I read said that he is a good defensive player. It doesn't seem to have translated in NA so far, but he might need some time to adjust to the North American style of play.

Ian White- I think he's the kind of player who won't let his lack of size affect the way he plays the game. I love the looks of him as a d-man, I wouldn't want to see him moved to forward. I compare him to a guy like Dan Boyle who has developed into a pretty good defenceman.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
I only watched about 10 mins of the game, but from your description of the play you're talking about the point shot I saw Coliaicovo taking Hedin scored on. Deflected it into the top left corner. He'd gone into the corner to help out and instead of coming straight out to the corner point, he saw that someone was filling in for him and SJ's had control of the play so he made his way out through the centre and tipped it in. I thought he looked awesome in that play. Although, like I said, i can't comment on him for the rest of the game.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:51 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

coliaicovo was outstanding.
he should be called up soon.

i didnt notice the others much.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:13 PM
sjmapleleafsfan

SJML Blue Line

Quote:
Can someone report on the progress of the blue line on the Rock.

wasting time,
Here are the stat's for the St. John's Maple Leafs Blue Line:
Pierre Hedin GP 6 G 2 A 1 Pts 3 +\- -3 PIM 0
Chris Chartier GP 6 G 0 A 2 Pts 2 +\--3 PIM 6
Brendan Bell GP 6 G 0 A 2 Pts 2 +\- 0 PIM 6
Carlo Colaiacovo GP 3 G 0 A 2 Pts 2 +\- -1 PIM 0
Marc Moro GP 6 G 1 A 0 Pts 1 +\- -1 PIM 25
Jay Harrison GP 6 G 1 A 0 Pts 1 +\- 0 PIM 21
Regan Kelly GP 6 G 0 A 0 Pts 0 +\- -1 PIM 4
David Turon GP 3 G 0 A 0 Pts 0 +\--1 PIM 0

In that game Hedin and Colaiacovo were both taking turns moving into and skating through the high slot area looking for a pass on the PP, if they never got it they would circle back to the point, they took turns doing it, first Hedin, then Colaiacovo, etc, etc. It is actually a pretty good play by both defensemen to try and move into an open area and hope that someone goes to cover them and that would mean that someone else is open, if they are not covered then they get a shot on goal. That is how Hedin scored the goal the other day, he moved into the slot and Colaiacovo took the shot and Hedin deflected it up and over Alex Auld in the Moose goal. Both have the skating ability to recover if needed.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
10-20-2003, 04:20 PM
sjmapleleafsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Yup. I havent seen him with the baby Leafs but I remember saying almost the exact same thing during the pre-season. He has real nice skills but he's never where you expect him to be.

I dunno if it means he needs should be moved to forward though. Maybe his style just seems unorthodox because we're so used to the prototypical North American defenseman and schemes.
loveshack2,
Hedin has the ability to read the ice and see where everyone is. He does not just sit back and play defense, he likes to join the play and is not afraid to move deep in the offensive zone. Actually all of the pinching and rushing into the play from Hedin I have yet to see him caught completely out of the play.

I agree his style is unorthodox and is not a prototypical NA defensemen.

One thing I will say about Hedin that surprised me was the fact that he has not backed away from the physical play.

sjmapleleafsfan

Closed Thread