HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What happens to the draft if there is no 2005 season?

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
What happens to the draft if there is no 2005 season?

How would they determine draft position for the 2005 draft if there is no hockey to be played next year? It seems like it would be pretty unfair if they used the rankings for the 2004 draft, because crap teams will get an unfair advantage. What are some possibilities they could work with? A random draw? Merge the 2005 draft with the 2006? Declare all prospects from that year free agents?

Old
10-20-2003, 11:04 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
How would they determine draft position for the 2005 draft if there is no hockey to be played next year? It seems like it would be pretty unfair if they used the rankings for the 2004 draft, because crap teams will get an unfair advantage. What are some possibilities they could work with? A random draw? Merge the 2005 draft with the 2006? Declare all prospects from that year free agents?
This has been discussed before (I think on the business board). I forget what the general conclusion was though, as no matter how you slice it, some teams are going to end up with an unfair advantage, while others will suffer.

If you do it by random draw, some pretty powerful and elite teams may end up with top-5 picks that they would not otherwise normally receive. If you do it with the previous year's results, it will give some teams an extra high end pick for one bad year of performance. That same team may have had a significant rise in the standings that year.

There was also mention of postponing the draft until the CBA is resolved. This way, if multiple drafts are skipped, then it can be combined so that both draft years are selected at the same time. I'm not a fan of that, as it would be impossible to schedule a draft between the signing of the CBA and the start of the season (assuming that it get's signed outside of the summer months).

No matter how this issue would be decided, the NHL will have bigger problems to deal with. If they miss a whole year, then their revenue base would be a heck of a lot smaller, and most teams would have a heck of a time staying afloat, regardless of how favourable a CBA they sign.

Old
10-20-2003, 12:25 PM

I think I remember reading that the draft is part of the CBA, so if the CBA is expired, no NHL draft would be possible until a new CBA is in place.

Sounds like it wouldn't be an issue, and players would just have to wait. Not sure, but can players sign an AHL contract if they are not drafted, or at what point?

Old
10-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
I think I remember reading that the draft is part of the CBA, so if the CBA is expired, no NHL draft would be possible until a new CBA is in place.

Sounds like it wouldn't be an issue, and players would just have to wait. Not sure, but can players sign an AHL contract if they are not drafted, or at what point?
I just mean if they come to an agreement after the season is wiped out. How do they determine positioning when the new CBA is reached?

Old
10-20-2003, 08:11 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe they'll skip it and raise the draft age, which needs to be done anyway.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:30 AM

For example,

There is the 2003-2004 season, and the 2004 Draft for sure.

There is no 2004-2005 season. The CBA is not agreed to by draft time, so there would be no 2005 Draft.

CBA settled in time for 2005-2006 season, there would be a 2006 Draft, based on the results of the 2005-2006 season.

However, if the CBA was settled during the 2004-2005 season, then there would be a draft eligible, and I wonder if they might have a playoffs or something that season or if the season as a whole would be canceled. They could always do a round robin first round including all the teams, and that could settle who the 8 teams for each conference make the full playoffs. Who knows. They'd likely go with a similar draft order as 2004's Draft, re-drawing the lotto picks. Or possibly even having all 30 teams with lotto picks based on the 2004 Draft, with the regular rule that no team can move so many picks out of a certain range.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:36 AM
Stephen

Or maybe they could run a league simulation off NHL 2004?

Old
10-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Maybe they'll skip it and raise the draft age, which needs to be done anyway.
Agreed. Raise it to 19 and call it a day (though I'd be happier with 20)...

Closed Thread