HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

GDT (1/18): DET @ CBJ, 7:00 p.m.

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Ananasi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
How dumb was Vyborny to hook him 50 times in a row on that play - was it the third period? That could have been 3 or 4 penalties.
Jackets fan piping in here. I was at the game last night and Vyborny took that penalty out of frustration, you could see he was hella pissed when he was chasing your fella around the defensive zone and all the other Jackets had their thumbs up their butts. It was clear that he just had enough of that and jammed his stick in the legs, tripped him and skated right to the box without even looking at the ref's call.

Detroit looked extremely good last night, great defensive zone coverage and PP looked very well formed. They look like they are already in playoff shape, even with a couple of injuries. Just wondering one thing while I'm here...they don't throw squid on the ice at the Joe except in the playoffs do they? The only time I get up to the Joe is during the playoffs, so I would not know off hand. Seems like it would get pretty old if that happened with any frequency during the regular season. Perhaps it's just ignorant Columbus-dwelling Red Wings bandwagon jumpers that do it up here.

Old
01-19-2006, 11:03 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananasi
Jackets fan piping in here. I was at the game last night and Vyborny took that penalty out of frustration, you could see he was hella pissed when he was chasing your fella around the defensive zone and all the other Jackets had their thumbs up their butts. It was clear that he just had enough of that and jammed his stick in the legs, tripped him and skated right to the box without even looking at the ref's call.

Detroit looked extremely good last night, great defensive zone coverage and PP looked very well formed. They look like they are already in playoff shape, even with a couple of injuries. Just wondering one thing while I'm here...they don't throw squid on the ice at the Joe except in the playoffs do they? The only time I get up to the Joe is during the playoffs, so I would not know off hand. Seems like it would get pretty old if that happened with any frequency during the regular season. Perhaps it's just ignorant Columbus-dwelling Red Wings bandwagon jumpers that do it up here.
I can understand Vyborny getting frustrated, it seemed like the Jackets were pretty sloppy in their own end for most of that game. He probably just wanted a break.

As to the rest, there are some people who are worrying that the Wings might be peaking too and they may run out of gas by the playoffs. This happened a few years ago - they went undefeated in the month of February, something like 10-0-2, and then they got dumped in the first round. They've been very healthy so far, which leaves me to wonder if/when that's going to catch up with them. Ottawa has been banged up lately and they've stayed on top - I don't think the Wings could handle that.

As to the octopi, you see an octopus in many playoff games and there will be the odd octopus here and there in games leading up to the playoffs, Colorado games, that sort of thing. The fans aren't supposed to throw them anymore except during intermissions or before the game starts - backlash leaguewide from that whole Panthers-rat throwing BS a few years back. You're only allowed to throw hats after a hat trick these days, though I've never seen a team get a delay of game call because the fans threw stuff on the ice. The octopus in Columbus last night was probably some Ohio Wings fan who figured they'll never get another chance to do it.

Old
01-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Ananasi

Thanks for your prompt reply. Remember, as a Jackets fan, I'm always looking for a playoff team to root for! I usually go for the Norris division teams first, as I was a long time St. Louis fan before we got a franchise (talk about a bad year for me ).

Old
01-19-2006, 11:45 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thanks for your prompt reply. Remember, as a Jackets fan, I'm always looking for a playoff team to root for! I usually go for the Norris division teams first, as I was a long time St. Louis fan before we got a franchise (talk about a bad year for me ).
I find myself rooting for Boston a lot of the time, mainly because they're an original six team, I like their unis and I feel bad for their fans, stuck with a BS ownership group in such a great hockey city. Plus I used to be the Bruins on NHL Breakaway 98, mainly because they were the worst team and it was more challenging.

And I'll root for the Jackets anytime - anytime they play the Preds, that is.

Old
01-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Higgy4

The amazing thing about Holmstrom is that he is being given all these kudos on here, he was the #1 star of the game with 2 pp goals, and he only played just over 9 minutes.

Also...anyone who thought Lidstrom was done needs a CAT scan. I think only 2 or 3 of us were defending him in November and saying to just be patient...its coming. And well, it came and it is busting *** trying to get another Norris Trophy. All people needed was patience. But that is tough to ask for on these boards.

Old
01-19-2006, 12:46 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillypensfan
At least you're a classy CBJ fan and didn't start saying you hate Holmstrom and how classless all Red Wings fans are. Sheesh,the other fans on your board are harsh when it comes to that sorta stuff,just glad that you're not like them. I understand they were upset about the Octopus being thrown on the ice,but that doesn't make all Wings fans classless. You guys certainly made it an interesting first period and had some scoring chances,but unfortunately for them Ozzie was making the saves to keep it scoreless Anyways,nice to hear from a fan like yourself. Good luck against the Blues on friday.
its very childish to say, however in general our animosity towards the wings goes deeper than hockey.

And allow me to say something in defense of the statement "I hate holmstrom" which I put in our GDT....I hate him out of respect, he always kills us. I greatly respect him as a player...So dont take it to serious please. I dont realy wish the state of michigan would fall into the great lakes, its just a little smack.

ps your team kicks ***, last night it just happened to be ours.

Old
01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Ananasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I find myself rooting for Boston a lot of the time, mainly because they're an original six team, I like their unis and I feel bad for their fans, stuck with a BS ownership group in such a great hockey city. Plus I used to be the Bruins on NHL Breakaway 98, mainly because they were the worst team and it was more challenging.

And I'll root for the Jackets anytime - anytime they play the Preds, that is.
I also was a Bruins fan, as I attended college in upstate NY and would slide over to the Boston Garden to satisfy my NHL cravings. But after a certain trade this year (not mentioning any names!), I'm a bit disillusioned with the current leadership. Unfortunately, I'm more pressed for time as I was when I was younger and have had to sever all ties with the Eastern Conference. Even with Center Ice and a DVR, I barely have enough time to catch the interesting Western Conference games.

On a further note, I have attended many a game at the Joe when they were playing St. Louis (my former favorite team), and have never felt intimidated or uncomfortable even when sporting a Blues sweater and jacket. Plenty of good-natured ribbing, but a good time was had. Ann Arbor, on the other hand, has not been pleasant to attend at any time. Last time I went there with an OSU jacket on, someone actually spit on me! I understand the fervor, but really. That, of course, was the last time I deigned to spend any of my hard-earned money in that particular town. I'm sure that Michigan's overall reputation would improve if you guys made Ann Arbor secede from the state.

Old
01-19-2006, 07:53 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
I also was a Bruins fan, as I attended college in upstate NY and would slide over to the Boston Garden to satisfy my NHL cravings. But after a certain trade this year (not mentioning any names!), I'm a bit disillusioned with the current leadership. Unfortunately, I'm more pressed for time as I was when I was younger and have had to sever all ties with the Eastern Conference. Even with Center Ice and a DVR, I barely have enough time to catch the interesting Western Conference games.

On a further note, I have attended many a game at the Joe when they were playing St. Louis (my former favorite team), and have never felt intimidated or uncomfortable even when sporting a Blues sweater and jacket. Plenty of good-natured ribbing, but a good time was had. Ann Arbor, on the other hand, has not been pleasant to attend at any time. Last time I went there with an OSU jacket on, someone actually spit on me! I understand the fervor, but really. That, of course, was the last time I deigned to spend any of my hard-earned money in that particular town. I'm sure that Michigan's overall reputation would improve if you guys made Ann Arbor secede from the state.

yeah, well, we traded the strip of land that includes the city of Toledo to Ohio in exchange for the Upper Peninsula. I think we got the better end of that deal.

And I'm with Sarcastro...I'll root for you anytime you're playing either Nashville or Vancouver...nice game last night..at least you didn't roll over and play dead.

Old
01-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
yeah, well, we traded the strip of land that includes the city of Toledo to Ohio in exchange for the Upper Peninsula. I think we got the better end of that deal.

And I'm with Sarcastro...I'll root for you anytime you're playing either Nashville or Vancouver...nice game last night..at least you didn't roll over and play dead.
HEY! Take it easy on Toledo there Kira. We arent so bad down here.

Closed Thread