HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebs sent down

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Osprey

vCash: 500
Easy question for you, Ziggy: do you feel that Gleason would've developed as well as he has or been as solid as he is if he hadn't been paired with Miller from the start? I assume from your argument that your answer is yes, but I'll let you answer for yourself.

Old
01-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Gleason is smarter than Grebeshkov. He is less prone to making mistakes. He is much more physical, doesn't make risky plays that could put him or his teammates in a bad position. Gleason is miles ahead of Grebeshkov defensively and plays like a veteran. His game is far more advanced, therefore, Gleason would work with any defense partner.

Look at Gleason's first season in LA. He split time between LA and Manchester, but stuck around for more than half the season in the NHL, and he wasn't regularly playing with Aaron Miller that year (who only appeared in 35 games that season due to injuries).

Gleason logs a lot of ice time for the Kings because he is dependable and reliable and isn't going to make a costly mistake when he has the puck, he knows when to get rid of it (unlike Grebeshkov). Gleason is only a few months older than Grebeshkov, but his game is so much more well-rounded for the NHL.

It is quite clear why Gleason is in the NHL, and Grebeshkov is back down to the AHL. Coaches don't plan on placing a player in a position to fail or to look bad. You are smarter than that to make such a silly accusation.

Old
01-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Coaches don't plan on placing a player in a position to fail or to look bad. You are smarter than that to make such a silly accusation.
I am; that's why I never said that it's planned. You're smarter than that. I can't argue with you if you can't get my position correct, argue back without spinning it or even answer a straight question. Obviously, you believe that Grebeshkov has no place in the NHL at the moment, while I'm quite a bit more open-minded. We're apparently never going to agree on this topic, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old
01-19-2006, 05:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I am; that's why I never said that it's planned. You're smarter than that. I can't argue with you if you can't get my position correct, argue back without spinning it or even answer a straight question. Obviously, you believe that Grebeshkov has no place in the NHL at the moment, while I'm quite a bit more open-minded. We're apparently never going to agree on this topic, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
You said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Andy gave him the best chance to fail.
I am sorry but I have given you legit reasons (and a good number of 'em too) why the coaches, or his linemates, can't be faulted for Grebeshkov's blunders. Agree to disagree, but you completely avoided and dodged every point that disproved your theory. So be it. Just learn to accept when you have been proven wrong.

Old
01-19-2006, 07:35 AM
King Blazer

From today's Daily News:

Roster move: Visnovksy's impending return left the Kings with an extra defenseman, and the choice wasn't hard to make. Denis Grebeshkov was sent to Manchester of the AHL on Wednesday.

Grebeshkov, 22, long has been considered one of the Kings' most promising defensive prospects, but he didn't impress in this most recent stint with the Kings. Grebeshkov played in the Kings' last eight games but totaled more minor penalties (six) than points (two assists) and had a minus-four rating.

"We just didn't think he was ready to contribute right now," Murray said. "We wanted to make sure we gave him a chance."

With Visnovsky's return, Richard Petiot will stay with the Kings as a seventh defenseman, at least until the return of Aaron Miller (sore back), a timetable for which has not yet been set.

link: http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3415242

Old
01-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Fat Elvis

Maybe it was a test that Grebs failed. Play with Corvo and if you can hold your own and not add fuel to the fire, than you can stay. If you make mistakes and can't handle having a defensive liablity as a partner, then you must go for more work until you can handle the "Corvo test".

Old
01-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Capn Brown

Couldn't we just trade him for Modry? :-)

Old
01-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Game Misconduct

I think Grebs played much better on this call-up than on the last one. The ONLY problem I've seen in his game during this call-up is a positioning error he frequently makes in the offensive and neutral zones. Instead of recognizing that he is the last guy between the puck and our goal, and making sure he stays between the puck and the goal, he often goes for the puck and misses, giving the other team a breakaway. I have not seen errant passes like people describe, and in fact, I think he has been much more effective with the first pass than our other defensemen, who have been horrible (and that includes Norstrom).

I agree with Osprey that he should have been paired with a veteran, although we only have one of those around, and we have lots of green d-men who would benefit from it. We also have Dempsey who seems to need the help also. So it's not as easy as it sounds.

I continue to believe that this guy is going to be extremely good, and that he just needs time.

Old
01-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I agree with Osprey that he should have been paired with a veteran, although we only have one of those around, and we have lots of green d-men who would benefit from it. We also have Dempsey who seems to need the help also. So it's not as easy as it sounds.
You're taking a risk agreeing with me, since Stardust has apparently already proven me wrong . Regardless, you're right that there's only one Norstrom to go around and others could use him, too. The others, however, are older and likely to be gone later this year, whereas Grebeshkov quite clearly needs the tutelage more and has far greater potential and years with the club.

Old
01-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Another reason why we should've acquired another stay at home d-man, to help tutor the kids. Instead we have Mike Weaver, Nathan Dempsey and Joe Corvo there to instruct.... SCARY.

Closed Thread