HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins will now protect Sid the Kid from cheap shots can we learn from this?

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2006, 09:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
Singn, he is correct, Jagr told the Hockey News, Cairns was one of the toughest defenseman to play against. I dont' have a link but remember the article.
Jaromir Jagr did once say he (Gill) was "the hardest defenceman to get by", back in his pittsburgh days.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article5512.html

At 6-foot-7 and 255 pounds, Gill is one of the largest players in the NHL. As a young player, he gained a reputation as a future star on defense largely because of his success against then Penguins star Jaromir Jagr, who at one time called him “the hardest defenseman to get by.” Jagr may still be unable to get by Gill, but any such futility would have more to do with Jagr’s steep decline than with any improvement in Gill’s game.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/bru...ers_10505.html

"Hal Gill did a great job on Jagr again," said Boston coach Mike Keenan about his 6-7 defenseman. "He made a big difference for us."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/score.../100341323.htm

WHO JAGR HATES TO FACE

His picks for his five toughest opponents:

(1) Scott Stevens, Devils: "He'll fight you for every inch of the ice in his zone."

(2) CHRIS PRONGER, Blues: "That stick of his, he swings it like a scalpel."

(3) Ray Bourque, Avalanche: "Still the most honest defender, one-on-one, in the game. He does it all."

(4) Nicklas Lidstrom, Red Wings: "He doesn't get enough credit for his ability to take a winger on one-on-one. Very smart?

(5) Hal Gill, Bruins: "He leans on me with his size, and I can't seem to get the advantage."

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:l...&client=safari

01-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Beyond that I don't know what the lesson is here. The way the game is now players like cairns are not needed. If Crosby didn't dive so much and whine like a little baby maybe people won't take shots at him. It was a waste of a 6th round pick.

so - Simply because because there is no red line - hard dman are no longer needed?
I beg to differ.

there is always room for a big guy - and certainly on D. Not that the Pens are threatening for Playoffs but wait when the going gets tough and we have malik and poti stopping Lindros or bertuzzi - you will have tears in your eyes.

having a nasty dman like Cairns in front of the goal is simply a deterrent, if you go in you know (as a forward) that it will be painful.....

this trade makes sense for the Pens (their D certainly is not tough)

I actually reckon Cairns will see good ice time 12-15 minutes a game.

Old
01-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Jaromir Jagr did once say he (Gill) was "the hardest defenceman to get by", back in his pittsburgh days.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article5512.html

At 6-foot-7 and 255 pounds, Gill is one of the largest players in the NHL. As a young player, he gained a reputation as a future star on defense largely because of his success against then Penguins star Jaromir Jagr, who at one time called him “the hardest defenseman to get by.” Jagr may still be unable to get by Gill, but any such futility would have more to do with Jagr’s steep decline than with any improvement in Gill’s game.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/bru...ers_10505.html

"Hal Gill did a great job on Jagr again," said Boston coach Mike Keenan about his 6-7 defenseman. "He made a big difference for us."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/score.../100341323.htm

WHO JAGR HATES TO FACE

His picks for his five toughest opponents:

(1) Scott Stevens, Devils: "He'll fight you for every inch of the ice in his zone."

(2) CHRIS PRONGER, Blues: "That stick of his, he swings it like a scalpel."

(3) Ray Bourque, Avalanche: "Still the most honest defender, one-on-one, in the game. He does it all."

(4) Nicklas Lidstrom, Red Wings: "He doesn't get enough credit for his ability to take a winger on one-on-one. Very smart?

(5) Hal Gill, Bruins: "He leans on me with his size, and I can't seem to get the advantage."

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:l...&client=safari
I guess we're both right...http://hockeyfights.net/articles/200

Singer: Well Jagr was quoted some years back where he specifically named you as someone he didn't like playing against. What kind of compliment is that to you?

Cairns: That was great of him to say that. I don't know how many beers he had before he had the interview, but that was definitely the feather in my cap to have someone like him say that. I think it's because I play hard against everybody, and I played hard against him and I guess he didn't like it. Obviously I'm not the best defenseman in the league, but I guess I gained his respect and that's why he said that. It was a huge thrill for me.

AND THIS...http://isles-list.com/index.cfm?acti...articleid=3161

Jaromir Jagr's Worst Enemies

Eric Cairns began 1999-2000 discouraged and pondering whether he had a
future in hockey. He begins the 2000-01 season with a unique distinction.

Cairns is Jaromir Jagr's choice as the defenseman he hates to play against
more than any other in the NHL.

Last edited by Jackson Ranger: 01-19-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old
01-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
The question is this... does Crosby take cheapshots because he whines, or does Crosby whine because he takes cheapshots?

Old
01-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert
does Crosby take cheapshots because he whines...?
Interesting. Never thought of it that way.

Old
01-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Rover*

Pens should have traded for colton orr instead.

Old
01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419
I hate Cairns, but he is useful as a 6th defencemen if properly paired with a good d-partner.
Funny statement. You can say that about any borderline NHLer.

Old
01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
Pens should have traded for colton orr instead.
Actually, Pittsburgh did have the opportunity to pick up Orr from the waiver wire before the Rangers and chose to pass.

Old
01-19-2006, 05:25 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Eric Cairns has way more negatives than positive things that he will bring to any team. First he is way too slow and has poor mobility; the way the NHL is today this is even more of a problem. Next he is prone to making very bad mistakes in his own zone - he pretty much eliminated the Islanders from their playoff series against Tampa Bay. Next he will take dumb penalties at bad times. Rarely does he come up with a big hit because he can't skate to position himself for contact. The officials have been cracking down on contact in front of the net so he is limited as to the abuse he can dish out in front of the net. He is one of the best fighters in the league but his fighting skills do not justify all the negatives that he brings a team.

Old
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Actually, Pittsburgh did have the opportunity to pick up Orr from the waiver wire before the Rangers and chose to pass.
But this was before people knew about orr and his impact and how he would prevent losses against teams such as the senators if he was in the lineup.

Old
01-20-2006, 05:38 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
What, exactly, is the lesson to be learned? Our sucky division rival just reached a new level of suckdom by acquiring one of the suckiest players in the league?

He is +1 on the season - for a defenseman who is one of the "suckiest" in the league that is not too shabby.

Last night he was 10 minutes on the ice for an Even in a 4-2 loss.

Berard who is rated far superior a defenseman is -23, gonchar - 18, aucoin - 14,
poapst -14,

so not too "sucky" if you ask me for a guy who has "no talent"

Old
01-20-2006, 06:16 AM
Taz

i like cairns, saw him when he played in england last season, tough guy and will protect his guys, he also punishes people in front of the net.

Old
01-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

the Elite league is not exactly the NHL but I reckon he is and will hold his own on the blue line and will fit in nicely as a Crosby chaperone. As I said he is not a pure goon, but a 5/6 Dman who will back down precious few in the League if called up.

As to the comment above that he lost the series vs Tampa for the isles couple years back.....I mean Tampa ended up winning the cup.....and noone is saying that he is the answer to all your defensive problems....but he is a role player who understands very well his own limitations. But I would not want to be the guy going to the net with Big Eric standing in my way.....slow that he may be!

Old
01-20-2006, 11:14 AM
eco's bones

Can't say I care for him either London. I think he has real mobility issues and that-- as a previous poster stated has an effect on his physical game. He's a better skater than Dale IMO but not by a lot and at this point in time again IMO he's a borderline NHL player at best. The new rules make skating and puck skills and passing a lot more important for a defenseman. I don't think Pittsburgh brought him in because they have long term plans for him. They may have brought him in as more protection for Crosby as some think but also because they have guys out hurt and because Therrien is not happy with his blueliners.

Old
01-20-2006, 06:50 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

To answer your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger
so - Simply because because there is no red line - hard dman are no longer needed?
I beg to differ.

there is always room for a big guy - and certainly on D. Not that the Pens are threatening for Playoffs but wait when the going gets tough and we have malik and poti stopping Lindros or bertuzzi - you will have tears in your eyes.

having a nasty dman like Cairns in front of the goal is simply a deterrent, if you go in you know (as a forward) that it will be painful.....

this trade makes sense for the Pens (their D certainly is not tough)

I actually reckon Cairns will see good ice time 12-15 minutes a game.
There certainly always will be room for a tough, hard nosed player. But he has too be a far better skater because he can no longer wrap himself arounf the opponent. He has too be agile and be able to turn quickly.
I'm not trying to compare Tyutin to Cairns, but Tyutin is somewhat of a physical defensemen. I stated earlier this season that i felt that the reason behind his not being as physical was because of the rule changes. He had to adjust him game because like everyone else he would just haul the guy in to stop him. Now he and everyone else must use a bit of skill first, skating. He's improved his game as he's adjusted to the way the game is being called. Slew Foot Cairns is not a very agile skater and because of his lack of agility and skating ability will be a liability on the ice.

Oh, did I mention that Pittsburgh could have had him for zero? Yep, he was a UFA. Kinda late to be thinking that Crosby needed protection. If the kid wasn't such a feminine hygiene container he wouldn't need protection.

Closed Thread