HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Game #46 1/19/06 New Jersey at Nashville 7:00CST

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2006, 05:20 PM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
GDT Game #46 1/19/06 New Jersey at Nashville 7:00CST

Everyone else is afraid to start this thread...

(28-12-5) (23-18-5)

Thursday, January 19, 7 p.m. CST.

It's been a great 2006 so far for Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils.

Brodeur and the Devils look to extend their season-high winning streak to eight games when they visit the Nashville Predators.

New Jersey was 16-18-5 after a 6-3 loss to Toronto on Dec. 31, but has welcomed in the new year with a perfect record and its longest winning streak since a 13-game run in the 2000-01 season.

"After the New Year we're 7-0," center Patrick Elias said. "And the last couple of games we haven't played our best games, but we've found a way to win."

Even though they squandered a three-goal lead Tuesday, the Devils managed to pull out a 5-3 victory over the St. Louis Blues as Brodeur secured his 424th career win and moved into fifth place on the NHL's career victory list.

"Every time you pass somebody who made history in hockey, you've got to feel pretty good about yourself," said Brodeur, who entered the game tied with Hall of Famer Tony Esposito on the list. "I've got a lot of accomplishments.

"If I keep winning and I keep going forward and being focused on what I need to do they'll be there for me, so that's nice."

New Jersey jumped out to its quick lead after Brian Gionta netted two first-period goals and John Madden added one in the second. The Blues, though, answered with three straight scores before Grant Marshall got the go-ahead goal in the final period for the Devils.

Linemates Gionta, Elias and Scott Gomez have scored 12 of the Devils' 25 goals during the winning streak. Gomez has eight goals and 11 assists in his last 10 games.

A tired Nashville team ended a two-game skid by holding off the struggling Pittsburgh Penguins 5-4 on Sunday.

After building a 5-1 lead, the Predators relaxed a little too early and allowed the Penguins to score three straight goals to pull within one before time ran out.

"I thought we were real sloppy in our clears and our passes and not real sharp. ... Just chalk it up to 12 games in 20 nights," Nashville coach Barry Trotz said. "Guys are trying to get a little rest, and mentally they're not sharp."

Scott Walker had two goals and Scott Hartnell finished with two assists for the Predators.

STANDINGS: Devils - 51 points, 3rd place, 13 PB, Atlantic Division. Predators - 61 points, 2nd place, 4 PB, Central Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Devils - Gionta, 28 goals and 49 points; Gomez, 27 assists; Marshall and Colin White, 49 PIM. Predators - Steve Sullivan, 22 goals; Paul Kariya, 28 assists; Sullivan and Kariya, 42 points; Darcy Hordichuk, 107 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Devils - Power play: 16.7 percent (46 for 275), 18th in NHL. Penalty killing: 82.5 percent (174 for 211), 15th. Predators - Power play: 18.5 percent (53 for 287), 11th. Penalty killing: 84.8 percent (252 for 297), 6th.

GOALTENDERS: Devils - Brodeur (21-14-3, 3 SO, 2.69 GAA); Scott Clemmensen (2-4-2, 3.83). Predators - Tomas Vokoun (22-9-4, 1, 2.67); Chris Mason (5-2-1, 2.95).

2003-04 SERIES: Predators, 1-0.

LAST MEETING: Jan. 3, 2004; Predators, 3-2. At Nashville, Tenn., David Legwand scored twice as the Predators beat the Devils for the first time in five games on their home ice.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Devils - 9-11-2 on the road; Predators - 18-5-0 at home.

game preview taken from: (http://www.nhl.com/scores/previews/690_2_preview.html)

Last edited by crossxcheck: 01-19-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old
01-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Brodeur

Good luck!

Old
01-19-2006, 06:32 PM
midg14*

This should be a great game.

Old
01-19-2006, 07:54 PM
GetPucksDeep

Thrasher fan here counting on you guys to cool off those devils.

Old
01-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Lets hope our 3 days off has helped us get our legs back. And I'm really tired of not being able to see games, what could FSN be showing that is so much better than NHL hockey?

Old
01-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Sullivan's backhand GOAL (23) - from Zidlicky.

Fan's say "Brodeur, Brodeur, Brodeur....YOU SUCK"

1-0 Preds

Old
01-19-2006, 08:39 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

I'm a Devils fan and I was wondering how Nashvilles special teams are this year. Could anyone tell me how Nashvilles special teams are doing this year, specifically penalty kill? Much apprediated.

Old
01-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

At a boy Vokoun! 3 five hole goals...all weak!

01-19-2006, 11:06 PM
swisarmygrlfrend

Send a message via AIM to swisarmygrlfrend
i didnt even get to go to the game or listen to it for that matter because of stupid school...my day and night were terrrible only to find out preds lose in a shoot out...

gawd dammit anyway

Old
01-19-2006, 11:26 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
At a boy Vokoun! 3 five hole goals...all weak!
All 3 were deflections right in front of the net. Don't know if I would consider that weak. I would consider the Dmen not clearing out the front of the net rather weak though.

Old
01-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

David Poile your presence is needed ...

Brendan Witt - tough physical rugged dman ... we need our crease moving bulldozer!

Old
01-20-2006, 12:02 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
vokoun goes from being impenetrable on the shootout to being a sieve. They should have scored all 3 against him.

Old
01-20-2006, 12:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
Brendan Witt - tough physical rugged dman ... we need our crease moving bulldozer!

Stop campaigning for that guy. He's a pylon this year, and not even an improvement over Eaton at this point.

The problem, though some will make excuses, is that Vokoun is NOT stealing games for us like he used to, and hasn't since the injury. His shootout performance was dreadful(all credit to the Devils shooters as due). The Devils third goal was yet another in which the puck gets into Vokoun's five hole...and then triiiiiiiiiiickles through. That NEVER used to happen, and now it's common.

I won't even get into the way the team on the whole took an absolute nap in the second to even make this a hockey game.

Frustrating game that some will once again happily rationalize "we got a point!" out of.

0-9.

Old
01-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

60 minutes, 60 minutes, 60 minutes...thats all I hear on the rare hockey talk we get around here...Well guys, we played good hockey tonight. Sometimes analysts or fans forget that there is another team out there playing as hard as it can as well, and for 40 minutes tonight, we took it to the Devils. We were average in the second period, but Vokoun let us down big time...

I don't care what anyone says. All three of those goals went 5 hole on Vokoun. Even if you say they were "deflected" they were very saveable. Tomas isn't closing his legs. Shots from the point are coming right at him, he is watchingi them, and then he is letting them go right through his legs. He did not have a good game, and he was completely undressed in the shootout. Tomas is an elite goalie, but he is struggling right now. Look back at the last 4-5 games..We are giving up tons of goals, and they are off average scoring chances. Elias tips it in front of tomas, but what the heck is he doing leaving his legs wide open with the puck coming at net....He just isn't reacting right now. I'm not sure if its confidence, too many games, or some lingering pain in the knee. Regardless, we gave a winning effort tonight and lost.

Very fast game, we cycled better than any other game this year save for maybe the Islanders game. Walker is having a huge effect on even strength prescense. We came back from a 2 goal hole with less than twenty minutes to go against an elite trapping team with the best goalie in the world in Martin Brodeur. I still maintain that we should not have been down 3-1 in the first place. Tomas should have had at the least 1 of those 3 goals...probably 2, and when he is on his game...all 3 easily. I can't really harp on to many people tonight because I thought we had strong efforts from all the defensemen and forwards. Eaton with his best game of the year IMO, broke up 3 odd man chances..Hamhuis looked good...Erat with probably the 2 best one time goals of the season in back to back games...We are heating up again, we just need the goaltending to go along with it IMO.

Old
01-20-2006, 01:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

terrific post, Enoch.

Please go post it on the other board, because I have a feeling they're going to crucify me for saying something similar

Old
01-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
terrific post, Enoch.

Please go post it on the other board, because I have a feeling they're going to crucify me for saying something similar
Done, but I'm not sure I will ever read the responses. I really decided its not worth my time when I saw some people almost hit 3000 AND everytime somone said anything....they were a "hockey god". I wouldn't be surprised if they are saying, "I was a hockey god first!!! Your the second generation hockey god!"

Anyways, I did scan your posts in the GDT, and I have to agree. Vokoun's 5 hole is 7.5 now....and its open all night long. He is off his game right now, and it is really hurting the team. Lets face it, we did not have a "great" second period, but it was far from diasatorous. 14 shots against is certainly not what you would call teriffic, but most of them were weak shots to begin with...heck the 2 goals that went in were hard to consider above average scoring chances...

Ah well! I love Tomas, and I think he can carry this team. However, he isn't right now, and we need him too. When you get effort out of your team like tonight, you need the win to go along with it.

Old
01-20-2006, 01:41 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I'm not sure if its confidence, too many games, or some lingering pain in the knee. Regardless, we gave a winning effort tonight and lost.
I think problem number one is that he came back too soon from the injury. Vokoun is a competitor and it's probably his biggest strength. But, out of all of the injuries the Preds had this season, Vokoun is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that the brass didn't say, "he's probably ready, let's give him one more week to be safe." The only other instance was stevenson coming back a game early b/c of tootoo's car crash, but it was in the middle of the "one more week to be safe" week.

I think when mason got hurt and finley sucked they panicked a little and deferred too much to vokoun without taking into consideration that he's going to try to take too much on his shoulders being the leader and competitor that he is.

With that said, I think he's relatively healthy right now. My main theory for this stretch lies within Vokoun's other personality trait, mild mental fragility. As mentally tough as he is, he still has his quirks, as many goalies do. The olympics are nigh, and my theory is that he's distracted as to what his role will be. He got mentally worked up over the all star game a couple of years ago and stunk it up for a few weeks, all star game included. I think he's gripping over whether he or Hasek is going to start and he's pressing and he's gripping over getting hurt before the olympics and it's affecting him mentally. I especially think it's messing him up in shootouts.

I think winning olympic gold is one of his biggest, if not the biggest, hockey goals and he was ignored for so long by the Czech national team that he finally has his chance and it's a distraction.

just a theory...

Old
01-20-2006, 09:08 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
I think problem number one is that he came back too soon from the injury. Vokoun is a competitor and it's probably his biggest strength. But, out of all of the injuries the Preds had this season, Vokoun is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that the brass didn't say, "he's probably ready, let's give him one more week to be safe." The only other instance was stevenson coming back a game early b/c of tootoo's car crash, but it was in the middle of the "one more week to be safe" week.

I think when mason got hurt and finley sucked they panicked a little and deferred too much to vokoun without taking into consideration that he's going to try to take too much on his shoulders being the leader and competitor that he is.

With that said, I think he's relatively healthy right now. My main theory for this stretch lies within Vokoun's other personality trait, mild mental fragility. As mentally tough as he is, he still has his quirks, as many goalies do. The olympics are nigh, and my theory is that he's distracted as to what his role will be. He got mentally worked up over the all star game a couple of years ago and stunk it up for a few weeks, all star game included. I think he's gripping over whether he or Hasek is going to start and he's pressing and he's gripping over getting hurt before the olympics and it's affecting him mentally. I especially think it's messing him up in shootouts.

I think winning olympic gold is one of his biggest, if not the biggest, hockey goals and he was ignored for so long by the Czech national team that he finally has his chance and it's a distraction.

just a theory...
While I agree that the Olympics could very well be weighing on Vokoun, I am not sure he's much healthier than he was in the week after his return. It's very difficult to come back from a knee injury too soon and then have it heal up along the way. I think it has continually nagged him since his return and I think this will continue all season until our early exit in the playoffs unless he gets a break during the Olympics or Trotz stops drinking Vokoun's koolaid and looks at the situation rationally and says that Vokoun could use a slight break. The schedule is just vicious from here on out. If he plays in the Olympics as the starting goalie, he's going to be playing 35-40 or so games in the next three months. I don't want to see what Vokoun looks like as that stretch winds up.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 01-20-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old
01-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Pred303

so much to talk about, so little time.. a few observations and thoughts;

...a truly great hockey game to watch, that is if you had no vested interest in how either team winds up for the year standing wise of course. one of the problems of turning into a highly competitive team, is that points become so much more important than the simple joy of watching good hockey. not near as easy to simply sit back and enjoy good games, because every stinking point is going to wind up being so critical. you get into the trap of rather seeing your team win ugly and play poorly than appreciating a truly great hockey game and seeing your team not win. this was a great hockey game. shame i didn't get to enjoy it like i should have.
...we're a good team, a top 12-14 type team. but unfortunately, most of ours fans think we're a top 5 type team. so far this year we're now 14-1-1 against teams that have less than a .500 record, while we're 14-11-5 against teams that are at .500 and above. or looked at another way, we're 19-5-2 against teams that right now wouldn't qualify for the playoffs if they started today. and we're 9-7-4 against teams that would be in the playoffs if it started today. a simple fact, we're good - not elite yet.
...before the season started several of us worried about vokoun and the new shootout rule. those worries were based on vokoun's performance prior to this year against penalty shots. coming into this year vokoun had only stopped 5 of 9 penalty shots, the only way most of us could measure how effective he might be in the new shootout. early on, vokoun got hot, and stopped the first 7 shootout shots cold and we all tended to totally forget those initial worries. since then vokoun has given up shootout goals on 7 of his last 12, and has now fallen to 34th place among goalies in shootout save percentage. oh yeah, to confirm that, he has gone 0 for 3 in saves against penalty shots this year too (so now he's only 5 for 12 in his career)
...that's not a team you want it to come down to a shootout against...honestly they are the best shootout team in the league, without a doubt. kozlov is now 5 for 7, while gionta is 4 for 6...both of these guys are ranked in the top 4 in the league percentage wise..., and elias had made the only one he had attempted coming into last night.. and on top of that brodeur has now stopped 16 of 18 shootout shots against him, in the top 3 in the league. and they totally schooled us in the shootout.
...we played a fine game last night. funny how when you have two very evenly matched teams momentum swings back and forth in the offensive end. last night, for those paying attention, the things that changed mometum were penalties. we dominate, until smithson takes that first penalty at the 17:05 mark of the first. then they score on the pp, and take command of momentum all the way until the 16:01 mark of the second, when gionta takes that penalty with them up 3-1... we score on that pp and take control of monetum and keep it right until the overtime.
...i don't understand what vokoun was doing last night on those three goals allowed. most will say "they were all deflected, so that explains all 3 ". i don't get it myself. deflection goals normally don't occur like that, certainly not 3 times. deflections are dangerous to a goalie primarily because good deflections change elevation. think about it, what makes deflections effective normally are that a goalie reads the initial shot, if it's low he butterflys and takes away the bottom of the net if the inital shot is on the ice, and the guy in front knows that and usually tries to deflect the puck up knowing the goalie is going to be down. conversely, if the inital shot is high, the goalie stays up to try to stop it, and any guy in front of the goal tries to deflect it down on the ice,knowing the goalie will be up high and not down in the butterfly... going counter to whether the initial shot was either high or low is how about 90% of all deflection gaols go in...but... last night all three initial shots were simple on the ice wristers, and they all get deflected simply along the ice and all three beat vokoun 5 hole.... makes no sense why the 5 hole should have been open in the first place. since the shot was low to begin with, vokoun has to be in the butterfly stopping those initial point shpts to begin with, and their should be ZERO 5-hole for them to go thru... yet, they all did, because he was not down and set originally... i just don't get what the hell he was doing on any of the 3.

a few other things...
...can trotz not see how pitiful our 4th line is right now with stevenson compared to what it was with tootoo??.. we have no speed and no forechecking ability all of a sudden there.. and only one thing has changed.. last night hordy-smithson-stevenson were liabilites out there, every shift they were pinned in our end end within 10 seconds of coming on ice...
...elias was the best player on ice last night. 8 shots in the first two periods. we simply couldn't contain him.
...thank god we showed some discipline taking penalties, because if we had taken 6 like we normally do they would have scored at least 5 pp goals.
...do we not see that johnson is not as good a penalty killer as smithson is?!? why did smtihson get ZERO pk time last night. made no sense to me, he's easily been the best we've had out there since he was called up and yet we now decide to not use him?!?
...erat with possibly his best game of the season skating and chance wise.
...i still don't like our lines. erat and kariay are two perimeter players, and don't need to be paired together. hartenll and hall are two in front of the net guys and don't need to be paired together. hartnell should be here with kariya, and hall should be with erat. all 4 would be better if we did this. come on trotz, anyone should be able to see this.
...sullivan and walker are a joy to watch. i'm thoroughly convinced it makes little difference who centers this line. i could center this line and score 40 points in a year simply by not falling down.
...weber made the tieing goal happen. his big hit on parise caused parise to be frustrated and take that penalty that erat then scored on to tie the game. fine game by the kid last night. man it will be hard to send him back down (even though i think it will happen today or tomorrow to be honest)
...eaton with two brilliant breakups of 2 on 1's. but he didn't tie up marshall's stick ont he third goal right after one of those great plays and was on ice for all 3 NJ deflection goals. (hamhuis 2, timonen the other). somehow we have to clear the crease better here if vokoun isn't going to be able to stop any deflections.
... you just keep waiting for kariya to pick us up and carry us for a stretch.
...walker looks better every game out. 5 good shots, 2 great scoring chances, better forechecking and skating
... i liked the defensive pairings ok (zids-kimmo, hammer-eaton, suter-weber mostly after the game got rolling).. only thing is playing with timonen makes zidlicky gets far too much even strength icetime (he actually led us in even strength time with 22:51, which is too much for our worst defensiveman). and basically weber played none after the middle of third period

have to just take a point and move on. every point is key, one way or the other every point will be crucial when the year winds up, no matter if it's for seeding, the division or simply making the playoffs.

man i love this game

Closed Thread